PDA

View Full Version : What all is involved in a cam install?

07ERider
04-21-2007, 07:47 PM
How hard is it to install an HRC cam? Do you have to time it in with a degreee wheel or do they have some sort of alignment dot or dowel or something? Also what is the correct procedure to adjust the valves?

I have pretty good mechanical knowledge but all of my experience is with cars and trucks, never an ATV.

I want to do an HRC kit but I want to make sure it is something I feel comfortable taking on.

Rulz
04-22-2007, 07:50 AM
It's easy, just make sure you buy a shim kit first and check out this video:

http://www.hotcamsinc.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=cMedia.viewInstallationVideos

07ERider
04-22-2007, 12:42 PM
So it is pretty much the same process in ours as on the CRF450?

mrnate400ex
04-22-2007, 04:01 PM
it is exactly the same!!! and honestly you almost spend more time taking the plastics off than it does to replace the cam!!! i think it took us about an hour and a half start to finish to replace mine.

TWILES
04-22-2007, 05:49 PM
I thought the HRC cam was a "drop-in" and wasn't supposed to need different shims?

35charlie
04-22-2007, 11:56 PM
Originally posted by TWILES
I thought the HRC cam was a "drop-in" and wasn't supposed to need different shims?

Some do, some don't. Two of mine were off but I was able to move one from the other side and buy the other one new.

400exrider707
04-23-2007, 06:02 AM
Originally posted by TWILES

Without touching anything, just from plain riding, you might need different shims. They dont stay in spec forever. The shims are just the adjustments, its not like you are upgrading to heavy duty stuff with the HRC. It is considered a drop in cam because you do not need to get different valve springs/rocker arms or anything of that nature.