PDA

View Full Version : Honda350x project, motor runs hot

Honda250xMutt
04-21-2007, 07:04 PM
Finally got some spark from the 86 350x motor i rebuilt and mounted in a 250x frame, after unplugging all the old connectors a couple times, just started to work, no need to question why!! Anyway, i got it fired up and it seems to be running extremely hot. It was just idling for maybe 3 mins. i gave it some throttle every now and then but basically it was just idling, burning off the dust and oil and form-a-gasket i guess from around the exhaust manifolds, but after the smoking didn't stop after a 3 mins i shut it down. Check the oil it was good, the oil cooler was warm, the lower end just warm but the valve covers were HOT. I could put my hand on them for a second, that was all. I let it cool a bit and started it up again and let her idle for 3 to 4 mins again and again it seemed to be burning stuff off the exhaust manifold area and again when i shut it off, the head and valve covers were much hotter than the lower end or the oil cooler. Do these motors run this hot? i would think if the oil was pumping correctly the whole system would get warm together. And if it runs real hot, maybe someone could clue me in on how to verify if the top end is getting lubricated correctly. Thanks a bunch!!

SWIGIN
04-22-2007, 05:44 AM
take off the valve adjustment covers off the valve cover and start it to see if you are getting oil up top....i bet you are since it dont take long to seize a cam