PDA

View Full Version : New 416 smoking

Dune Surfer
10-12-2002, 02:51 AM
I just got my 416 back and it is smoking pretty bad. I have been carefull breaking it in but it seems to be getting worse. I rode yhe first time for ten min and let it cool twenty min. then twenty min and cool twenty min then thirty min cool twenty min then one hour then cool thirty min. I tried to not rev to high. I also had a cam installed. I think I will change the oil and keep trying. Any ideas?

Guy400
10-12-2002, 05:58 AM
When does it smoke? Only at idle, only when on the gas or all the time? Also, what color is the smoke? Blue or black?

Did you do the assembly of the cam and piston or did someone else do it? Not that this has anything to do directly with the smoking but did you put cam lube on the cam lobes before starting it?

Leo
10-12-2002, 06:57 AM
possibilities..

bad valve stem seals..
incorrect bore size / finish on the cylinder..
incorrect ring installation (oil rings in wrong, all the ring gaps lined up, etc..)..

that, or about 100 other things ;)

Have you called / talked to the folks who put the motor together for you yet?

Leo

400exdad
10-12-2002, 07:40 AM
Were the installers reputable? My friends have had troubles with local shops. It sounds like what Leo said though...

Guy400
10-12-2002, 07:55 AM
It obviously shouldn't smoke but I was talking with a reputable member here who did a 416 kit and his smoked terribly bad one time and then the problem mysteriously went away never to return.

Sparky416ex
10-12-2002, 08:24 AM
My 416 smokes for about 5 min...on warm-up. They told me its just getting good lubrication. (it smokes bad...worse than a two stroke)...so is that what yours does...or does it constantly smoke?

EvilJester400EX
10-12-2002, 08:26 AM
i just had a smoking problem with my new 03. they told me it was either.. unseated valve rings, unseated piston rings, or it just needed to be serviced cause the oil was going past the rings. they couldn't find anything wrong with it, so i guess the only thing wrong with it was that it needed fresh oil

skemp
10-12-2002, 04:21 PM
I think it it probably that the piston rings haven't seated yet, and this could be for many reasons, but most likely an incorrect honing job. If you don't hone a good crosshatch pattern into the cylinder, the rings won't seat right. It could also be what Leo said...

Hoodeye3
10-12-2002, 08:58 PM
The bike should not be smoking that bad , something is askew!
Did you install yourself?

EX_RIDER
10-12-2002, 08:59 PM
I bet it is a over bore.

Barnhearts(local dealer) over borded my clyinder and charged me 50 bux to do to.I told them they over borded and they told me it was my fault cause they always do 100% work.I got set back 200 bux cause i had to buy a new piston and bore job.Not counting the 4 top end gasket sets I had to buy.I tried every thing from new seal guides,to realigning the rings.Sad part is that the piston has a tolal of 2.5 hours on it and still like new and now useless.

Dune Surfer
10-12-2002, 09:34 PM
Well I changed the oil, rejetted and am crossing my fingers!!
I am going to Glamis to ride sunday alone, I hope I don't get stranded. I can still smell oil but I will have to see. It's strange it is missing a little, I think I will change the plug before I go . Wish me luck. What really sucks is I just spent alot of $$$ and It runs worse than before I started.

Dune Surfer
10-14-2002, 11:25 PM
Well I changed the oil and when I went to change the plug, Guess what? The tech forgot to tighten the plug. Ha! I installed a new plug and it ran perfect. yea. It goes to show you never overlook the obvious.
Thanks for the help!!!

400exBro
10-15-2002, 03:22 PM
that is good to hear!!!!

Bro