PDA

View Full Version : Real stock HP?

TWILES
04-21-2007, 10:22 AM
I saw on the KFX450Rville site that someone dynoed a new KFX and it showed right at 40. Thats great but is it true? Our 04 450R is supposed to be like 35. Comparing to my old Banshee and Krank-It 250R, I'd guess thats about right BUT the 250R had a little over 50 and the Banshee was closer to 60 and both were very easy to ride as fast as they woud go since that was as fast as I could go.

I'd really rather not here this from some retard off the Banshee forum that thinks he's hot ****. I'd rather have replies from someone that really does know what he's talking about and with no stupid arguement about me not being able to handle it. I got that from the 450R forums when we got the Honda. I know what it took to propel me through the air and pack me on the track to the point I was scared and these stock 450's are a far cry from it. I'd really like to buy another quad and start racing again. I've said this numerous times but I still don't like the other 3 450s so I haven't bought another one. The KFX fits me perfectly other than the handlebars being a couple inches low. I know this FUELATV is working on one and I'd love to get a no BS rundown of the bike. Complaints more than anything. I'm planning on racing MX and don't want a fortune in the motor like I would have with the Honda.

Thanks

shoey
04-21-2007, 12:20 PM
Well I just got the new Kawi 450 and still have my 04 TRX450 w/HRC kit. What I have found so far, keep in mind this is with two hours on unit so its tight as heck still. My 04 Honda is a heck of a lot faster everywhere. I believe it was faster even stock. Handling seems good though stiff still. Vibrations are higher than Honda and noticable. I am hopful that a power commander and slipon will bring it equil with my 04. I am ordering the power commander and slipon before I had intended to due corked up feeling. Hope this helps.

TWILES
04-21-2007, 01:41 PM
Hows the gear ratios? Does it always feel like its wound-out like the Honda? Anything past 4th gear really doesn't matter to me but I am always trying to hit "6th" gear on the 450R and I can't gear it any higher with the lower gears being so tall. If the stock 04 Honda has more motor then the KFX, I don't know if I want one or not. The Honda is a little weak. I'm really concerned with what it will end up costing to get 50hp out of the motor. It takes a minimum of $2500 to get that from the Honda.

shoey
04-21-2007, 08:27 PM
gear ratios feel a small amount tighter than Honda plus final drive ratio is short anyway combined with a tight unbroken in motor still corked up, short rapid shifts were needed. This quad seems to have all the potential of the best of the rest but it is truly to early to tell. For me the equivilent of an HRC kit is my hope so I can keep that crisp sea level power at higher altitudes like sand mountain by just uploading a different fuel map.

TWILES
04-22-2007, 11:08 AM
If all the gears are tight, could you just gear it up higher to drag them out without killing the motor? IMO the main problems with the Honda is that is doesn't rev out any further than it does and the first 3 gears are spread too far apart and the last two are too tight. As you know, it takes $1000 in CRF ignition parts to fix the rev problem and then a cam for MX and then an $800 FCR so it will run right. I liked the 2-stroke gearing where they got a little further apart as you went up. Is the KFX similar?
I don't want you to think I'm just hounding you. I won't get to "ride" one till its at my house. A quick spin in the parking lot doesn't say much. If I had gotten to ride the Honda, I would have gotten the Yamaha.

Thanks

Luecker
04-22-2007, 11:48 AM
Originally posted by TWILES
If all the gears are tight, could you just gear it up higher to drag them out without killing the motor? IMO the main problems with the Honda is that is doesn't rev out any further than it does and the first 3 gears are spread too far apart and the last two are too tight. As you know, it takes $1000 in CRF ignition parts to fix the rev problem and then a cam for MX and then an $800 FCR so it will run right. I liked the 2-stroke gearing where they got a little further apart as you went up. Is the KFX similar?
I don't want you to think I'm just hounding you. I won't get to "ride" one till its at my house. A quick spin in the parking lot doesn't say much. If I had gotten to ride the Honda, I would have gotten the Yamaha.

Thanks

You may want to check out the 06-07 Honda 450R, the motor is similar to the CRF450R and comes with the 40mm FCR carb. It is also quite a bit cheaper than the KFX. Also the mods are already available for the Honda and lots of used parts on the market. The KFX if you break something it will take longer to get a replacement. Which could mean missing a race. I don't like to race a first year quad. Usually by the 2nd year the bugs are known and how to fix them.

I think the KFX is going to be a great quad , but only time will tell.

TWILES
04-22-2007, 02:42 PM
I think I trust the new Kawasaki over another Honda. I don't know what I'll end up with. The KFX looks good. The way I see it, it all depends on how much money I have to spend on the quad. This might sound a little stupid but if I have enough to hit it really hard, I'll probably look for something used that isn't junk. If I'm not going to be able to build one like my olds ones I'd come closer to getting something new putting it together a little at a time, spending more of the time riding with my wife. I've built 3 from the gound up starting with a 500 Suzuki that was more of a re-build, a 250R that ran nationals with a Krank-It motor, and a 99 Banshee I bought new. The Banshee would have been BAD if I started with a used one. The 250R already had a lot done and was in perfect shape so it was easy and the 500 was just JUNK. The 04 Honda would have been the unltimate MX machine BUT it took my friend $17,000 to get one like my old bikes. The newer one's would be cheaper but I'm told they are less reliable in the end.

QUADROOKIE
04-22-2007, 02:56 PM
Well, I rode mine HARD today for the first time, and in a XC race environment. I will start by saying I am not at all disappointed that I bought this quad. I had a hard time knowing what gear I was in alot of times, mostly when slowing after a high speed section to make a tight turn, I would stall it quite a bit. I am used to a piped, filtered KFX400 w/ the 13 tooth frt sprocket, and I honestly could "lug" it through the tight stuff much easier than I can on the 450. I have come to the conclusion that this machine is slightly lacking on the very bottom end. It just does not want to lug like I would like. It is only just for a split second-once you hit the throttle hard, it absolutely rips. I just can't seem to find the right gear ever for different situations. Also, this could be just the fact that it is totally different than what I am used to, and also I wonder if riding with the stock pipe, the quietness may be factoring in some deception as to me knowing where my rpm's are. The shocks are GREAT for jumping. Not so great for braking bumps. I felt like I was on pogo sticks a few times. BUT I havent tried adjusting them at all so that may be easily fixable. The brakes are awesome. The fronts almost too good at times. If anyone has starting issues, after stalling in a turn or something, try turning the idle up. Mine was set pretty low and another guy riding with us that had the same problem on his said that would cure it-he was right.
Overall, we all came to the conclusion that this is the best overall platform available right now. It is not better, stock for stock, in all areas than the other 450's but is just as good in all, and better in a couple. This motor is going to absolutely scream once modded, and suspension will make this by far the best (especially for XC) quad out!

QUADROOKIE
04-23-2007, 06:28 PM
Ok. I did some tweaking on the shocks tonite, and although I only had my 2.5 acre yard to test in, I do have some rough braking bump type areas. I retract my statement about not being good in the rough stuff. After some adjusting, I got it to handle very well. I am anxious to try it in a real setting again now. My point is, dont be quick to judge-take some time and REALLY try to dial them in a bit, and I think you will be pleasantly suprised. I honestly didnt think they could possibly be adjusted enough from where they were but I was wrong.

Varmit57
04-23-2007, 07:36 PM
I had Colby adjust my shocks at the last IATVHSS race and it is much better. I'm not sure what he did but it made a big diffrence in the breaking bumps and still seems to land good on the bigger doubles.

I'm still having him rebuild them when he gets the parts in but I'm very impressed for stock.

As far as the Honda's go I have talked to a lop of people that perfer the 04-05 over the newer ones becuse of the starting and the lack of bottom end... I know that I liked my '04 very much and I was really nervious getting this KFX.

I see the same lack of bottom in the KFX that the newer honda has but I think that a bigger flywheel, setting the idle up a bit and maybe a cam might take care of that...

I got a pipe, FI control box and removed my airbox lib and already very happy with it....

Plus there is a lot more about the KFX that makes it well worth the change....

QUADROOKIE
04-23-2007, 08:28 PM
Joe--do you thing a pipe and controller will cure my low-end problem? It is such a tiny tiny amount IMO that it is lacking, I dont think I need to change sprockets or anything. I am going to have to really prioritize and choose between nerfs & tires, or pipe and controller. i think I need to race carlisle and see better how I feel on it in a real race environment before I do anything too drastic. It may be just a matter of me getting used to it. I noticed tonite that 3rd gear seems almost useless. When revving out in 2nd, shift to 3rd, hammer the gas and before my thumb even gets halfway through the throttlem stroke it needs 4th, then 5th, thren 6th LOL!

honda4life72
04-23-2007, 08:33 PM
dasa pie for 450r - 500 bucks
hot cam- 150 bucks
you can get abotu 47 hp with just that

rider250ex
04-24-2007, 08:27 PM
Originally posted by honda4life72
dasa pie for 450r - 500 bucks
hot cam- 150 bucks
you can get abotu 47 hp with just that

Joke???

Vade
04-24-2007, 08:52 PM
hotcams stage 2
rossier/dasa pipe:D

honda4life72
04-24-2007, 09:09 PM
Originally posted by rider250ex
Joke??? ABOUT!!!

rider250ex
04-24-2007, 09:14 PM
is everyone talking rwhp or at the crank?

pcmamerica
04-25-2007, 11:30 AM
I bought my KFX about 3 weeks ago and have dumped some money in it. 43. something rear wheel hp is what it got on the dyno.

69.8 MPH stock.

Alot of torque and HP and great handling.

I ALREADY HAVE HANDLEBAR RAISERS IF ANYONE WANTS TO BUY THEM, 35.00 SHIPPED AND 1 1/2" RAISED.

Anyways, I added a Dynojet programmer, ESR exhaust and took the lid off and cant forget the Crower Intake Cam.

I also changed the gearing to a 15 front and 34 rear. 83.2 MPH on GPS. Still has the power down low and for the trails. If youwant it perfect for the occasional rider, a 34 rear will be fine(stock is 14 front 38 rear)

It pushing some amazing power even against the stock KFX we have( we have 2) and against my YFZ450 with a 06WR450 motor, Crower intake cam, Velocity intake and full exhaust, the KFX is righ up there in power. Not many YFZ's are making as much power as one with the YZ or WR motor in them but there are some.

Hands down, I sold the YFZ about a week ago to my neighbor. Old technology is all I have to say about that machine.

I put on my 2" handlebar risers and it fits me well.

I dont like how stiff the suspension is for fast trail riding, its like riding without shocks. Needs to be adjusted alot.

Seat doesnt bother me too well anymore.

I contacted Crower today to see if they had a exhaust cam and he said I could try the exhaust one so that is being shipped off today. They say like the LTR, that the dirt bike exhaust cam doesnt work well with the fuel injected quads, they lose too much torque down low. Well see this weekend casue its going to be here on friday.

Overall im happy with my purchase, and am glad I got rid of the YFZ. Im sure the 08 YFZ will be a whole nother machine if they change it for 08. So If I were you If you like yamaha, wait till 08 and see what theyve got, if not screw it and get what you want.

Jeff

TWILES
04-26-2007, 11:49 AM
Thanks a lot. Thats answered exactly what I was asking.

QUADROOKIE
04-26-2007, 03:23 PM
Check this out(if it is allowed to post this anyway):devil:

http://kfx450hq.com/invision/index.php?showtopic=367&st=0&gopid=3032&#entry3032

GE4x4
04-27-2007, 11:08 AM
Yoshi has the new pipe on this site home page. This is a small write up of it.

Yoshimura RS2 Titanium for KFX450R
Chino, CA (4/25/2007) – Yoshimura R&D Of America, Inc. announced today the release of five new products for the new Kawasaki KFX450® R sport quad – Three New Exhaust Systems, a Yoshimura EMS Peripheral Interface Module (PIM) Fuel Injection Unit and FIMAK (Fuel Injection Map Adjuster Kit).

Yoshimura has been the leader as well as the pioneer in EFI (Electronic Fuel Injection). Expertise learned from years at the cutting edge of Superbike Racing has clearly put Yoshimura at the head of the pack when it comes to EFI tuning. The Yoshimura PIM and Ti- Pro Exhaust System equipped KFX450R takes the stock 36HP KFX up to an impressive 40.6HP. In addition, power delivery becomes much more linear and crisp.

Sandgod4
05-12-2007, 10:11 PM
I have a KBR dyno sheet sitting right here. KBR is by my house. Stock w/ lid off and stock gutted silencer 36.75hp 28.50 tq

Full ESR pipe, K&N no lid, power commander 43hp 29.25tq..

My bro's LTR stock w/ ps out, no lid and CB.. 39.75hp 26.40tq

The Kawi has around a 4hp advantage up till about 7k then it starts losing ground to the LTR and at 8500rpm it is down by 5hp and at 9500 down by 7hp for the rest of the way.. The Kawi has 3-5lbs more tq in the same rpm range down low but then starts to fall off at the same 7k and it's down by 3lbs at 8.5k and about 4lbs from 9k to redline.. These are the two stock machines for the most part..

Piped 700 Raptors w/ K&N, controller, and full pipes are doing about 45hp 44tq..

suck my pipe
05-14-2007, 06:12 PM
This thing just walks up hill climbs like there your drive way, seriously it makes it easy to climb somthing that took balls on another quad. Way more power than a stock Honda or Yamaha too. it just pulls you right up with no problem at all. Now your talking about MX I cant realy help you there but theres no better test for pure mean power than taking it up a big arse hill like it wasnt even there at all.

Def-e-nition
05-19-2007, 01:43 AM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by pcmamerica
[B]I bought my KFX about 3 weeks ago and have dumped some money in it. 43. something rear wheel hp is what it got on the dyno.

69.8 MPH stock.

Alot of torque and HP and great handling.

I also changed the gearing to a 15 front and 34 rear. 83.2 MPH on GPS. Still has the power down low and for the trails. If youwant it perfect for the occasional rider, a 34 rear will be fine(stock is 14 front 38 rear)

[QUOTE]

Thats a Big differencethere , from 38 to 34 . You say you Don't lose much Bottom ? Then the motor is stronger thasn I thought . I would have settled for a 36 even . I know I tried 4 different combinations on the T-rex , and eventually went back to where i started , 14-38 ,but to settle for this I had to know what the bike was doing on other gearing levels . You've changed both front AND rear sprockets , which I would have thought a bit tough , making the bike simply haul *** down a straight . I noticed on the much weaker Rex that 1 tooth in front makes too big an impact on the gearing , it shortens them too much for me to remain competitive in 2nd 3rd 4th . so I went back to 14 T .

As for the shocks , we wound them down to as low as the buggers will go . And that helped a Lot . Nice shocks . For a bike out fo the box , it really is impressive .

Sandgod4
05-19-2007, 03:51 PM
On a side note. I just got dynoing two DAB Racing Yoshi 450z's on the same dyno as this Kawi.. Both on pump gas all ported ect.. 46hp 31.75tq..

rancid
05-19-2007, 05:58 PM
well i went to the dunes l.s. utah last weekend and my brother just got a 07 yfz all stock with paddles and i took my 06 yfz, with a centermount pipe and open filter and paddles. and there where 2 white and black kawi 450,s and they looked very nice, one was piped with a filter and the lid off and the other just had the lid off and both had paddles. up the valley i beat both up the hill by 1\4 of the hill every time and my brother swapped 1-2 bikes up with the piped kawi and no contest for the stock kawi. they seem to get out of the hole ok, but run out real quick and seem to have very little topend. still a nice qaud, but even lt450rs where taking them up the hill. might be awsome for woods or xc, but not a yfz in the sand.

Ex_Rider43
05-20-2007, 03:15 PM
Thats exactly what I felt when I was riding it , OK bottom but nothing on top. On the other hand it handles great.