PDA

View Full Version : This looks interesting.

Kahuna
04-19-2007, 11:26 PM
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Honda-400ex-250ex-or-300ex-A-arms-Shocks-Wid-Kit_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ43974QQihZ007QQitem Z170103859464QQrdZ1

I've seen many homemade kits but nothing like this.
I wonder how it performs.

Looks like it would work good, it would be like widening the frame. Theres no more pressure put on anything.

underpowered
04-20-2007, 07:48 AM
linky no worky

but if it is what i think it is, a widening kit. NOOOOO! they are junk. they are not made for abuse, will bend. they have no reinforcement, only plate steel so it will bend easily. you bike will handle horrible, bump steer like crazy with that since the pivot point of the a-arms will be so far from the steering point, tie rod attachment point. if your gonna go wide, do it right with a-arms. no wheel spacers, no filpped wheels, no e-bay kits. buy the right parts for the job.

Kahuna
04-20-2007, 10:14 AM
I don't see how it would change anything though, all it does it widen it out just like longer a-arms would.

EDIT:
I dunno why it won't work.
Go to ebay.com and type in number 170103859464

spent21
04-20-2007, 10:43 AM
i second what underpowered said. you change the whole geometry of the suspension with widening kits. save your allowance (i'm not trying to be condesending....i know married men who have "allowances") and get the arms. there are several out there that work well with out the price tag of a t-pin set. jd performance makes good arms for a reasonable price. shop around. you may even pick up a used set on this site for half price of new. you pay twice when trying to cut corners in this area.

400exrider707
04-20-2007, 10:51 AM
Originally posted by Kahuna
I don't see how it would change anything though, all it does it widen it out just like longer a-arms would.

EDIT:
I dunno why it won't work.
Go to ebay.com and type in number 170103859464

If you were to draw an imaginary plane through your a-arm pivot points where they attach to the frame.... now with the widening kit... you are moving the pivot points farther out from the frame. The farther they are from the tie rod ends on the steering stem, the more bumpsteer you will have. To have perfect handling, the tie rod ends (the ones on the steering stem) and the a-arm pivot points at the frame should all rest on the same plane. They are already off from the factory, and adding that kit to your quad is going to make it MUCH worse. Plus like already said they are just plate steel and are not going to hold up. They are in most simplest of terms... JUNK

Kahuna
04-20-2007, 12:30 PM
I understand what you are saying now.

I'm going to get a-arms anyways, but I just thought this was interesting.

Kaleigh
04-20-2007, 12:51 PM
i hear you guys saying those are junk.. but has anyone actually used them? just curious.. I would like to hear it from someone with experience with them.. not someone that just looked at them in a picture and make guesses...

I think those work work great in europe where people use their quads for road use and no abuse..

But anyone that has used these.. please let use know about them.. Im very curious about them.. dont think ill buy them.. but I would really like to hear it from someone that had used them first hand..

underpowered
04-20-2007, 01:50 PM
Originally posted by Kaleigh
i hear you guys saying those are junk.. but has anyone actually used them? just curious.. I would like to hear it from someone with experience with them.. not someone that just looked at them in a picture and make guesses...

I think those work work great in europe where people use their quads for road use and no abuse..

But anyone that has used these.. please let use know about them.. Im very curious about them.. dont think ill buy them.. but I would really like to hear it from someone that had used them first hand..

well we are not really "guessing" and the ill affects of it. the geometry and engineering tells up what will happen with this. your handling will suck, you will have bump steer like no other, and due it is no being re-enforced they will bend easily with a decent hit(much easier than a normal a-arm would bend) i have never used them my self, but those are "engineering" flaws i can see from the picture, not just guesses

j450rking
04-20-2007, 08:02 PM
ask joshg about a arms he seems to have alot of lone star stuff and he sells it for pretty cheap!

pdracer440
04-23-2007, 04:40 PM
Originally posted by Kaleigh

Well let me give you a view point from someone who actually has used them.

When I built my bike, I purchased evrything all at once, so as you can imagine, the money was flying out of my hand pretty quickly. Due to a complaint filed by my accountant (WIFE), I (MY WIFE), decided to hold off on the a-arms until a later date. Like you, I found these things on e-bay and thought, what the heck, it can't be that bad.

2 years later they are still on the bike, I race MX mostly, but do a little trail riding here and there. I have nothing bad to say about these at all, they make the bike wide (mine is exactly 50" wide), I have had no issue with bumpsteer, and they are strong as h*ll.

I must add that recently, I did have a little incident down in Georgia. I don't want to rehash the the entire scene (Check my prior posts) but after overjumping an 80' table and slamming a tree with the left a-arm, I did bend three of the six pieces. Please keep in mind that I also destroyed the front bumper, bent the frame, and ripped the a-arms off the bike. I would say all in all, the widening kit held up the best out of everything.

Do as you wish, but for the money these have proven to be a very nice addition to my list of upgrades, and I am actually planning an using them again!!!!

Just the opinion of a guy who HAS used them before!

pdracer440
04-23-2007, 04:45 PM
oh yeah, here is the after shot!!

Kahuna
04-23-2007, 10:01 PM
Did you need longer brake lines or shocks?

Kaleigh
04-23-2007, 11:34 PM
pdracer440.. Thanks for the info.. it was much appreciated :macho

pdracer440
04-24-2007, 06:18 AM
Originally posted by Kahuna
Did you need longer brake lines or shocks?

I had already ordered extended S.S. brake lines, but yes you will need them for the kit. As for the shocks, these are stock length elkas. If you look at the top shock mounts, they are also extended out, these shock extenders come with the kit, and are needed to keep the geometry correct.

Here is the actual link to the company that makes the kits:
http://www.diamondjcustoms.com/new/index.htm