PDA

View Full Version : how mechanically inclined are you??

underpowered
04-19-2007, 10:11 PM
well with people of all differnt types on here, and so many technical sections i figured i would post a poll seeing how mechanically inclined our members were.

stalefish_132
04-19-2007, 10:36 PM
well yesterday the local suzuki dealer phoned and asked me how to change a timming chain on a Z400. I just started an apprenticeship towards becoming a heavy duty diesel mechanic few weeks ago. lets just say if there's a wrench, i'm the first one to turn it.

anyone else's hands constantly greese/oil stained?

mx1791
04-19-2007, 11:15 PM
im trying to do it right with this quad so im doing pretty good with a wrench. i would get banned if i told how rigged everything on my 400 was though lol.

d3ktrix
04-19-2007, 11:30 PM
The only thing I haven't worked on yet on a 4 stroke is the bottom end. Trans/crank stuff.
Top end and all chassis work is cake tho.

Originally posted by mx1791
im trying to do it right with this quad so im doing pretty good with a wrench. i would get banned if i told how rigged everything on my 400 was though lol.

Yeah ur getting better every day :P
Valve adjustments should be coming up soon :P

mx1791
04-19-2007, 11:37 PM
Originally posted by d3ktrix
The only thing I haven't worked on yet on a 4 stroke is the bottom end. Trans/crank stuff.
Top end and all chassis work is cake tho.

Yeah ur getting better every day :P
Valve adjustments should be coming up soon :P
valve adjustments? i dont even clean my air filter unless im forced to, god now i know how brittany spears felt in rehab. like i said, im trying to do things right.

d3ktrix
04-19-2007, 11:39 PM
valve adjustments? i dont even clean my air filter unless im forced to, god now i know how brittany spears felt in rehab. like i said, im trying to do things right.

Ya u better do it right, if you don't I'll chain u to the swing arm till u do. lol
Not letting this one fall apart like the Z!

hawaiikfx400
04-20-2007, 01:03 AM
im always willing to learn and try myself.this dosnt mean im good or know much but i try.i wish i had more people to teach/help me out but i make do.this site has teached me allot and is my go to person for ? and ansers.i would like to go to mmi school.so far basically cosmetic and small stuff.

Mxjunkie
04-20-2007, 04:16 AM
I can tear anything apart and put it back togather and usually I can get anything running, 2 years ago I got a 1972 Yamaha 175 to start up for the first timie since the late 80's :cool:

kwik02gixxer
04-20-2007, 04:38 AM
well i guess im alway dirty i am a diesel mechanic work on big trucks and trailersin a shop were i work we have 28 trucks and 56 trailers in columbus ohio.as for four stroke quads i have rebuilt the top end on my 426 but if i have a manual i could do anything to it.im pretty mechanical inclined i guess.

Outlaw 50
04-20-2007, 05:01 AM
38 years of turning a wrench and fabricating. Everything from lawnmowers to heavy equipment.

When my computer gives me a fit I have to get help from my son......lol

Quad18star
04-20-2007, 07:11 AM
I let a mechanic play around on the inside of any of my motors . My luck I'd just drop a few screws or soemthing down into the bottom end and get a repair bill of a few thousand dollars .

I do minor stuff ... you could also put me in the catagory of taking things apart but not remembering how they go back together !!!:p

insaneracin2003
04-20-2007, 07:30 AM
lol,note to self"don't buy anything from mx1791"
I can probably do anything with the right tools.

300exOH
04-20-2007, 07:30 AM
Not sure where I fall in the poll but I have been fixing cars, bikes etc. since I was 16 or so. I have rebuilt a 2 stroke but haven't tried a 4 stroke yet. I'm sure that with a repair manual I can handle just about any job though. I have helped on a few V8 rebuilds and replaced engines and trans in cars. I guess you could say I'm your typical back yard mechanic. Jack of all trades...master of none.:devil:

underpowered
04-20-2007, 07:34 AM
well for me, i have always grown up around motors, ever since i was a little kid my dad has always had a garage working on stuff. my first job was as a mechanic at the local shop at the ripe old age of 15. by then i was already doing complete rebuilds, i did countless blasters back then. now, five years later i still work on alot of stuff, and have not came across a job yet that i couldn't do. but if i ever have any trouble I know Dr. G (full time mechanic at holeshot, the local shop) will help me if i need it. my hands are always dirty from working on something, my mom says i shoulda been born with a wrench in hand lol. i work on quads, bikes, rebuilt car motors, you name it.

rollie
04-20-2007, 08:21 AM
I can tear a quad down and put it back together no problem, i dont trust myself with engines yet, im going to tear into my 110 soon to get a little practice, i can do the electrical but i usually blow a few fuses before everythings right:p

Stevie-D
04-20-2007, 10:52 AM
sometimes i swear someone swapped my hands with a black person's:macho cant keep the grease off of them. the only time my truck sees a mechanic is for inspection once a year, or computer related stuff. same with the quads. friends are constantly dropping off quads, bikes, tractors, etc for me to fix.
kind of a pain in the *** sometimes, but i enjoy doing it

d3ktrix
04-20-2007, 11:12 AM
Originally posted by 300exOH
I guess you could say I'm your typical back yard mechanic. Jack of all trades...master of none.:devil:

lol ya that goes for me too.

Cody_300ex
04-20-2007, 11:46 AM
I was rebuilding Bicycles from the ground up when I was six and I rebuilt my first Motor when I was 12, Compeletly went threw the enigne, just had the tools and a Service manual. I love workin on quads and stuff. Usally when I get bored I'll take my front end off or the swingarm Just to regrease it or clean it for the hell of it.

HB416EX
04-20-2007, 12:39 PM
I can figure out pretty much anything with a manual and the right tools.

mx1791
04-20-2007, 01:31 PM
Originally posted by insaneracin2003
lol,note to self"don't buy anything from mx1791"
I can probably do anything with the right tools.
lol dont worry i would never sell someone a junk part. ive torn down a 450r before and put it back together, and worked on friends bikes. just when i try to do something to my own quad NOTHING goes right and well.. its all down hill from there

72 chevelle ss
04-20-2007, 01:50 PM
Originally posted by stalefish_132
well yesterday the local suzuki dealer phoned and asked me how to change a timming chain on a Z400. I just started an apprenticeship towards becoming a heavy duty diesel mechanic few weeks ago. lets just say if there's a wrench, i'm the first one to turn it.

anyone else's hands constantly greese/oil stained?

Mine are right now lol.

I can pretty much do anything on an engine.