PDA

View Full Version : Rear Rack for 400EX

DeDo
07-31-2001, 08:31 AM
Okay, nobody shoot me - I am looking for a rear rack to use on my 400EX. It will only be used when I am going on hauls with some buddies. Everyone I ride with has either a utility quad or a sport/trail (with racks) and we are planning on doing some overnight camping trips (getting to and from on the quads). I do not want anything permenant - just something I can bolt on and then take off. I dont think a backpack with gear would be comfortable riding for 5 or 6 hours...

Is anyone using anything they would recommend? I have seen something in Ronnies catalog but wanted to hear from some of you...

Thanks

John

knighttime
07-31-2001, 09:20 AM
Rockymountainatv.com has some nice racks. I'm planning on buying one for my 400ex. The one I'm looking at has a six pack cooler holder and a space for an included gas can.

DeDo
07-31-2001, 11:56 AM
Knightime:

I have seen a number of racks - on PRMs site, Rocky Mountain and Ronnies. The thing is many that I have seen require you to cut the subframe (at the grab bar) and then bolt onto that point. I am looking for something I can attach (bolt on) when I am going on a long ride/camping and then a can remove for trail riding / tearing it up. I do not need or want anything permanent.

Let me know if I am wrong on the cutting aspect of the frame - I am pretty sure that is what I have read.

John

07-31-2001, 12:49 PM
Yeah, those are six pack racks and armodillo type racks that require cutting. I believe Cambrige Metals and Plastics (CMP) has a rack for the front and rear of 400EX's. I don't know of a web site for them. You do have a 400, correct?

DeDo
07-31-2001, 03:46 PM
Yes - its a 2001 400...

I think it was CMP that had a bolt on rack - I was curious if anyone has used any of these - if they are quality and if they are a decent value?? Also, if anyone is using a rack like that, which one are they using? Again, I do not want to have to cut the subframe...

Thanks for your input...

John

07-31-2001, 07:39 PM
i've not seen one that works without cutting the subframe

Stunz
08-01-2001, 09:15 AM
Armadillo racks, from RockyMnt., clamps on to the sub-frame.

No cutting or welding required.

SLB400EX
08-02-2001, 05:25 PM
I was looking at the AC Racing 6 pack rack (on their site) and it just bolts to the grab bar. NO cutting needed.
They are listing it for $69.95

DeDo
08-03-2001, 07:51 AM
Thanks for the info...

I will let everyone know what I get and how it works out...

John

08-03-2001, 02:31 PM
I have one of the Armadillo Out-n-Back racks from Rocky Mountain. It just clamps onto the rear grab bar. Works pretty well I can carry a gallon of gas and a small cooler. Actually I just bought a soft side cooler (RED OF COURSE) to use w/ this cuz I will be able to tie it down better so the contents don't move around so much. Also has a litte pouch to put stuff into.

Good Luck.

Greg

"BLAHH"300!!
08-09-2001, 05:20 AM
YES

THERE IS A BOLT ON--6 PAC RAK- FOR YOUR BIKE THAT FITS YOUR GRAB BAR AND MINE TOO.. THE GUY I RIDE WITH HAS ONE. IT HOLDS A SMALL COOLER. HE FIT ABOUT 4 CAN BEER'S WITH ICE IN IT I BELIEVE.. PRETTY RELIABLE TOO BENDS A LITTLE IF YOU COME BACK ON IT BUT IS EASILY FIXED WITH BODY WEIGHT.
BUT WHAT YOU NEED IS SOMETHING A LITTLE BIGGER.. IF THATS ALL YOU WANT IT FOR IS TO GO CAMPING AND HOLD YOUR GEAR ON THE WAY THERE I'D BUY ONE AND THEN WELD SOME SORT OF EXTENTION TO THE SIDES FOR YOUR SLEEPING BAG, TENT ETC... THEN WHEN YOU GET THERE --BRING YOUR WRENCH-- AND TAKE IT OFF TO RIDE- REAPLY WHEN YOU WANT TO HEAD HOME- SIMPLE SOLUTION- AND HEY- BUY 2 IF YOU WANT IT AS A SAFTY BAR AS WELL..

LATER:huh