PDA

View Full Version : sand tires (sorry re-peat thread)

sahlberg
04-19-2007, 06:37 PM
well, my friend is looking for sand tires and i'm curious about them also. see, i will be doing lots of sand riding and stuff, but how well would they do on gravel, dirt, hard surfaces, etc?

do you think i'd be better off getting all around tires and a sperate set of sand tires just for the sand?

and sorry for re-peat thread. i seacrhed sand tires and barely got anything pertaining to sand tires..

GPracer2500
04-19-2007, 07:27 PM
Are you actually going to be riding dunes or just ride in areas that have a bunch of sand? If the former, get a second set of tires (paddles) just for the dunes. If the latter, your probably better off sticking with knobbies.

The better performing sand tires are going to get torn up in a hurry in anything other than sand.

sahlberg
04-19-2007, 07:32 PM
well, i've never ridden in this spot that i heard is just tons of acres of sand but even at that, i'm gonna find some dunes around here so i'll defaintely be doing lots of sand riding.

i'm thinking that the best thing is to buy seperate sets of tires because i will be riding on the road as well.....just getting some opinions on here..never had sand tires or anything before

and what would be some good dirt, sand tires? i heard holeshots were the best but idk anything about sport tires

Flyin-Low
04-19-2007, 07:57 PM
get a set of razr 2's (all four tires)
and the two rear ITP sandstars

I doubt you will have ANY thoughts whatsoever about driving on a road with sand tires if you've actually seen a pair. My friend did it for a while and unless your doing 50+ it will rattle the teeth from your mouth. So it's not a good choice.

-Martin

d3ktrix
04-20-2007, 07:44 AM
Originally posted by sahlberg
well, i've never ridden in this spot that i heard is just tons of acres of sand but even at that, i'm gonna find some dunes around here so i'll defaintely be doing lots of sand riding.

i'm thinking that the best thing is to buy seperate sets of tires because i will be riding on the road as well.....just getting some opinions on here..never had sand tires or anything before

and what would be some good dirt, sand tires? i heard holeshots were the best but idk anything about sport tires

I think I know where ur talking about :P
You have a PM.

kawabunga
04-20-2007, 07:52 AM
unless your doing 50+ it will rattle the teeth from your mouth. So it's not a good choice.

-Martin

he's not lying

whiteboycustom
04-20-2007, 08:50 AM
rockymountainatv has some killer prices on paddles or paddle/rim combos, if its nothing serious even sand snakes or something liek that is good, its a paddle and dirt cheap, unless u are going to do sand drags then a skat trak would be ur choice, and as far as riding on the road it will kill the life of the paddle and rattle the crap out of u, stick to teh soft stuff and dont try to over paddle ur quad, make sure u have enough motor to turn them over good

400exrider707
04-20-2007, 09:01 AM
What quad are these going on?

sahlberg
04-20-2007, 09:17 AM
04 or 06 450R so i doubt lacking power would be a problem...

i started checking out some places and i want the black Motorsports Tork rims or Motorsports Redline rims on the Razr2s but cant find that combo online or those rims on sand tires.

i guess once the times comes , i could always call the place to order them. i want them to be shipped mounted because the last time i had to get tires mounted on some rims, the rims got bent.

so , basically, for a set of tires and rims, i'm looking at around $500 right? i'll get two sets..... normal riding ( im thinking the Razr2s since they seem to be pretty popular) and a set of sand starts...

400exrider707
04-20-2007, 10:33 AM
I would only run razr2s if you are doing strictly tough trails and woods riding or cross country racing. They are not the best all around tire IMO. They are quite heavy which will eat horsepower, as well as the rims you are looking at are quite heavy.

Check rockymountainatv.com for prices on tires and rims shipped as a package. They have some pretty good deals.

sahlberg
04-20-2007, 10:53 AM
see, with me, i'm not worried too much about power loss on tires considering i'm stepping up for a little 250 recon so even if 20-50 poounds were added, it'd still be a lot more power for myself lol.

but i know, i shouldnt worry too much about looks but i want somebody to look at my quad and say, wow, thats bad a** so i plan to black it all out so thats why i'm looking/needing black rims.

i read a post on here where someone recomended bead lock rims? they have some on rockymountain atv but they're not black.

i need a tire, rim combo with nice black rims....can somebody show me where? and what size in the front, 21? and rear 20?

sahlberg
04-20-2007, 10:58 AM
i could always do what i did with my recon...some flat black paint on the rims.....can get it on the tire, doesnt show up and if the paint scratches off, pull out the spray paint and re-spray it. and if i'm riding a sport, it probably will take a lot longer to come off than on my recon.....

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Honda-beadlocks-Razr-tires-450r-400ex-ltr450-beadlock_W0QQitemZ270111164558QQihZ017QQcategoryZ4 3983QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

like that....beadlock rims on razr tires...painted rims, and it looks good...what ya think?

400exrider707
04-20-2007, 11:00 AM
Originally posted by sahlberg
see, with me, i'm not worried too much about power loss on tires considering i'm stepping up for a little 250 recon so even if 20-50 poounds were added, it'd still be a lot more power for myself lol.

but i know, i shouldnt worry too much about looks but i want somebody to look at my quad and say, wow, thats bad a** so i plan to black it all out so thats why i'm looking/needing black rims.

i read a post on here where someone recomended bead lock rims? they have some on rockymountain atv but they're not black.

i need a tire, rim combo with nice black rims....can somebody show me where? and what size in the front, 21? and rear 20?

Try looking again. rockymountain has nearly as many black rims as standard polished ones, including beadlocks. If they're website doesn't list it, I konw for a fact their catalog does, or you could just call them. 20-50 pounds of extra rotating mass is a TON! Also just so you know most black powdercoating from the factory on those rims is junk. It will chip and peel off probably the first time you ride it.

sahlberg
04-20-2007, 11:03 AM
well, i dont think they have the rim/tire combo with black rims. i'd much rather get the rims mounted on the tires by them then have a local place do it and bend another one of my rims....

i feel like painting them would be a quick, easy option considering you said the ones from the factory will chip easily.

whiteboycustom
04-20-2007, 11:05 AM
u can save some cash get u some douglas rims and have them powdercoated black, and i priced some razor 2's just the other day at like 149 shipped for just the tires add about 100 bucks for rims unless u get the high dollar rims,

252.80 for(2) 20x11-10 ams sand snakes on itp c-series black rims

280 bucks for the sand stars and thats rockymountainatv prices

sahlberg
04-20-2007, 11:12 AM
thats not too bad at all......i think i will just order the tires and rims seperataly since i'm getting my dream bike and i want to get what i really want...i guess i can find a place to mount the rims on the tires without bending the rim.....i might go with the Tork rims or something likes that......Razr2s all around and then another set of Sand Stars.....in the end, probably will be around 1000 buks for tires and rims but it will be worth it im assuming lol.

so, you guys runs 20s in the back and 21s in the front right? whats the advantage of running smaller tires in the back?

THANKS so much for all them help!

sahlberg
04-20-2007, 11:19 AM
http://www.motosportalloys.com/customer-honda.html

ok, look at all the sport pics. mine will basically look something like that (except for the yellow one) i love those rims and the 450R has the rims i want with it looks like Sand Stars and the Red 400ex has the other rims i want with looks like Razrs...

whiteboycustom
04-20-2007, 12:20 PM
i run 21's in teh front and 20 or 18 in the rear, 18's will rev fast and lower ur quad which is good for mx and thos rims look good but are way heavy, heavy rim and a paddle in sand will kill the performance also anyway ur payin 1000 bucks if u are getting hiper beadlocks all the way around