PDA

View Full Version : how difficult is it?!

sportrax stu
04-19-2007, 01:10 PM
im thinking about getting a stage 2 hotcam for my 400ex. how easy are they to install? would a car mechanic be able to fit one? also i have a fmf slip on and a k&n air filter but i cant run the fmf all the time cos of the noise, would it matter if i ran a hotcam on my bike with a stock exhaust? also would i have to rejet the bike if i installed one?
please point me in the right direction.
thanks

Barrymaxx
04-19-2007, 01:18 PM
Are you the mechanic? If so, then its really easy. Even if your not a mechanic, it still isnt too bad.

sportrax stu
04-19-2007, 01:22 PM
no im not the mechanic, theres a garage near me, i could ask the bloke whether he could. would it be worth taking it to a honda dealer? would it matter running the hotcam with a stock exhaust?

NacsMXer
04-19-2007, 01:43 PM
Wouldn't matter running it with the stock exhaust but your jetting will have to be changed because of the cam itself. Honestly, you're not going to reap the full benefits of the stage 2 unless you install a high compression piston and a full exhaust as well. The stage 2 isn't well matched to the stock piston/exhaust ;) The stage 2 is letting it breathe better but the stock exhaust is just corking it right back up.

The cam install is easy if you have a service manual, I wouldn't even attempt it if you don't have one or have experience working on that engine. Nice because you can adjust your valves while your at it..get two things done at once.

WhtPrd09
04-19-2007, 01:49 PM
i installed 1 in bike about 2 months ago and it went better then i planned. just dont loose tention on the cam chain. and set ur valves to honda specs.

underpowered
04-19-2007, 01:49 PM
a cam is not to hard to do, so yeah an auto mechanic should be able to do it with some guidance.

as for the exhaust it will work but not to its potential. i ran my 426 with cam for a while through the stock pipe (the previous owner kept the pipe when he sold me the quad) it had almost all top end power, had a hit in the mid range similara to a two stroke but did not have much power down low.

you will have to re-jet for the cama dn the valves HAVE to be adjsuted with the new cam, not just somethin you do while your in there. anytime you have the rocker box off you need to adjust the valves.

NacsMXer
04-19-2007, 01:53 PM
Originally posted by underpowered

you will have to re-jet for the cama dn the valves HAVE to be adjsuted with the new cam, not just somethin you do while your in there. anytime you have the rocker box off you need to adjust the valves.

Not to mention retiming it properly as well. Both these things are necessities when doing the install. The Hotcam should come with slightly different valve clearance specs too btw, so don't use the stock specs in the manual ;)

JOEX
04-19-2007, 05:59 PM
A couple things on the 400ex...

It's either in time or not there's no 'timing' like on car motor, unless you have an adjustable cam sprocket. I think that is actually 'degree-ing' the cam if you have one of those. Make sure all the marks line up on the flywheel and cam sprocket and the cam lobes are pointing down, a good time to reference a repair manual.

Most, if not all, aftermarket cams do not use the decompression cam so the spring and plunger will need to be removed, another good time to reference a repair manual:)

Kahuna
04-19-2007, 06:03 PM
You could always buy a silencer with a qieut core. You won't lose any power and won't have to worry about noise.

sportrax stu
04-20-2007, 09:00 AM
Not to mention retiming it properly as well. Both these things are necessities when doing the install. The Hotcam should come with slightly different valve clearance specs too btw, so don't use the stock specs in the manual

thanks guys. what specs would i work to?!

sportrax stu
04-20-2007, 09:02 AM
You could always buy a silencer with a qieut core. You won't lose any power and won't have to worry about noise

i have a powercore 4 do they make quiet inserts for these? if so where would i get one from?
thank you

NacsMXer
04-20-2007, 09:17 AM
Originally posted by sportrax stu
Not to mention retiming it properly as well. Both these things are necessities when doing the install. The Hotcam should come with slightly different valve clearance specs too btw, so don't use the stock specs in the manual

thanks guys. what specs would i work to?!

The new valve clearance specs will be provided with the instructions that come with your new Hotcam. They are roughly a thousandth or two greater than the stock clearances which is why you don't want to use the stock specs.

As far as the quiet core for the Powercore 4 not sure if they make one but I would contact FMF directly to see if they do: www.FMFracing.com