PDA

View Full Version : tapered or dual row carrier

ct350trx
04-19-2007, 11:32 AM
I won't to buy a new carrier. I'm considering a dual row or a tapered carrier.
Is a tapered carrier so mutch better and is it the money worth?

kiesta00
04-19-2007, 02:07 PM
I got a twin row carrier for my bike last fall and it hasn't given me any problems yet...picked it up for a lot cheaper than a tapered carrier too.

86 Quad R
04-20-2007, 08:40 AM
i like both actually but, the tapered carrier is more durable than a dual row but limits the chain adjustment range as it moves the axle closer to the center of the adjustment radius. with A+ bearings. the dual row will hold up well.

GPracer2500
04-20-2007, 09:08 PM
I've been told that although stonger, tapered bearing carriers impart a bit more drag into the driveline. True?

matt250r21
04-21-2007, 02:22 PM
Only if you have too much presser on the bearing by over doing the axle lock nut. If you have the right presser on the bearings they run just as smooth as ball bearing and last sooo much longer.

wilkin250r
04-21-2007, 02:29 PM
Originally posted by GPracer2500
I've been told that although stonger, tapered bearing carriers impart a bit more drag into the driveline. True?

I've never used one, but I've heard of some common problems.

The tapered bearings and carriers handle sideload much better, so they would be good for TT racing. But I think the bearings are more exposed, they lack a seal that ordinary axle bearings have.

Also, as far as drag, I think there are a few problems. First, I don't think they have an spacer between the inner races of the bearings, so any tension gets applied directly to the bearing balls themselves, which WILL create drag. Also, I think many people put more tension then they should, they put the locknut all the way out. I think the combination of the two create the extra drag problem.

Personally, I don't think they are worth the money over a good twin-row. I've heard of very few people breaking the carrier or bearings, most problems occur from lack of maintenance. Without that extra seal, the tapered bearings require MORE maintenance, so what's the benefit?

SWIGIN
04-22-2007, 05:38 AM
i ran tapers for years and even machined a my old atc 110 to take them and they are great.

even tho there is no seal you never need to worry about dirt and crap getting in them....think about it, they are made for cars and trucks front ends witch have no seal.

i wont run them on my 350rx since you do loose chain adjustment but on my old lt 250 i loved them.

you just have to tighten the axle nut hand tight and tape the hell out of it so it dont come loose.

brokenbones
04-22-2007, 08:53 AM
taoered is the way to go just keep them greased and maintained and your good to go

just my 2 cents

Dave83
04-22-2007, 08:02 PM
I ran my tapered carrier on a mx track for 1 season then took it apart for service.It looked brand new inside.Amazing considering the seal setup and the dirt that the track is made from.Now my only complaint is that I cant go from a 13t front sprocket to a 14t,the carrier doesnt move enough.

matt250r21
04-23-2007, 04:29 PM
Thats wierd, I run an RPM tapered bearing carrier with 14/36 gearing and I have plenty of adjustment.