PDA

View Full Version : chain adjustment plz help

quadriderkfx400
04-19-2007, 10:34 AM
i bought a used 04 kfx 400 and it came without an owners manual and my chain needs to be tightend and i was wondering if someone out there could tell me step by step how to do it and how tight it should be. that would be greatly appreciated. thanks

jonboy
04-19-2007, 01:54 PM
First, loosen all 4 axle carrier bolts on the swingarm. Second, turn the nut on the very back off the swingarm(should only be 1 on an 04) you'll need to turn it clockwise to tighten the chain and counter clockwise to loosen. Be sure to use penetating oil on the bolt and turn it slowly as these are prone to breaking. Once you have the chain to desired tension retighten the 4 carrier bolts. Now go ride.

the fat kid
04-19-2007, 05:42 PM
on this subject, how do you measure the tension, it says 1.2 to 1.6" of play, but do you measure while sitting on or off of it...

05Z400rdr
04-19-2007, 07:00 PM
Also, make sure that the four axle carrier bolts are very tight and tightened the whole way, as if they're not, and they are loose, your adjuster bolt can break a lot easier.

And like my88r said, I go by using two fingers between the chain and the chain guide.

Landon

YFZ450Ridr
04-19-2007, 09:13 PM
Originally posted by 05Z400rdr
Also, make sure that the four axle carrier bolts are very tight and tightened the whole way, as if they're not, and they are loose, your adjuster bolt can break a lot easier.

And like my88r said, I go by using two fingers between the chain and the chain guide.

Landon

yes great advice, also make sure that it is not too tight because it will break the carrier from all of the stress on it. happened to my dads 04.