PDA

View Full Version : mowing/landscaping help

400exrules
04-18-2007, 11:17 PM
Im a senior in high school and my current job is ok but i need more money. I know there is big money in mowing yards because i know people that do it, and i do alot of yard work anyways so i would have no problem with the work.

What i want to know is whats the best way the start out? Do you experienced guys cut every week or every other week?
I think ill be fine with atleast 10 yards to start out.

I have a 5x10 trailor right now, but i only have 2 push mowers and a weedeater. Ill probably be working alone or with 1 more person. I can finanace a new mower, which i might do, and pay it off quickly with all the extra money ill be earning. Any tips or ideas from those of you who do this for a living?

firefighterjosh
04-19-2007, 12:12 AM
I do not do it for a living but I know 2 people who do.

1st guy kinda like you. Just needs extra cash. He has a older john deer lawmore, weedeater and push mower. he just told his grandma, some family members he does there yard every week. they told there friends and now he does about 10 lawns ever week at about $50 a lawn.

My other friend does it for a side bussiness. He has small trailer 2 lawn mores and a weedeater. He Put flyers up in town gave out bussiness cards to bussinesses, and put flyers in mail boxes. Also told all his friends. he does about 20 - 35 lawns a week and does some side projects as well. He brings in about $50 - $100 bucks a lawn

Main thing tell people and the word will spread

NeverLiftRacing
04-19-2007, 12:17 AM
yeah i agree. i mowed lawns in high school for extra cash and i got a big chunk of lawns from realators. chances are if you see a sign they need it mowed and if they have one sign then they have more. its all about others telling others and staying consistent on mowing every week. good luck.

bradley300
04-19-2007, 08:18 AM
just use what you have now, and start knocking on doors. the last thing you want to do when starting a business is to go straight into debt. mow every week, if its little quarter acre lots in neighborhoods just chage 25-30 bucks. mow, weedeat, edge and blow everything away, keep cut grass out of the mulch beds! SAVE all your money this year, but next year should be able to pay cash for a good commercial walk behind mower and you'll have a few established customers already. tell them you'll mow thier yard for free one week if they can convince one of thier neighbors to let you mow thier yard too. you will absolutly need a cel phone w/ voice mail also, but i'm sure you have that

parkers30
04-19-2007, 09:01 AM
^^^^^ what Brad said

I did 13-15 lawns through high school. I started out in middle school doing lawns in the neighboor that I could drive the fourwheeler and trailer to or just drive the riding lawn mower to. I did alot through the summer for the realator who lived in the neighborhood. Just start out and make sure you do a good job and word will spread. I became very picky about making sure everything looked pristin when I was done, and I only had a nice Lawnboy walk behind and weedeater, less than $500 in equipment made me $300-500 each week

Regular_Joe
04-19-2007, 09:26 AM
I used to do that growing up when I was 16-18 (about 12 yrs ago).

1) Have a set minimum charge, like 1 hour, especially for small lawns in town. Way back when I was charging $10/hr and that was also my minimum charge.

2) Use all your own equipment and gas. Never use their gas. Its usually super old and out of some rusty container. And by using your own equipment you know its in good shape and the blades are sharp.

3) Always blow to the inside until your far enough from the driveway, flowers, etc. so that the grass won't blow all over them.

4) If its a place w/ kids ... run. Otherwise your forever picking up toys, finding rocks, random holes dug, sticks, etc.... Dogs are the same. Dogs = lots of piles of dog poo your running over and mulching up. More annoying than anything.

5) If the grass is thick and clumping ... When your done, raise the deck up and run back over those areas. By now the chopped grass has dried some and this will spread the clumps back out.

6) You set your own hours, don't wait for them to call you. If you do, the grass will be so tall it will be a headache.

7) Be sure to weed eat and keep things nice. After a few times doing it really good it won't barely take any weedeating at all to keep it that way.

8) If trees and low branches are annoying and knocking you off a mower etc. don't be afraid to ask them if they want them trimmed up. If they aren't mowing the lawn, most likely they aren't doing much else around the house either.

9) Wear ear plugs. You'll thank yourself when your 30+. Trust me.

10) If someones being an jerk and unreasonable, don't be afraid to leave. Be courteous about it but don't let them take advantage of you.

Hope this helps ....

parkers30
04-19-2007, 09:57 AM
Originally posted by Regular_Joe

1) Have a set minimum charge, like 1 hour, especially for small lawns in town. Way back when I was charging $10/hr and that was also my minimum charge.

9) Wear ear plugs. You'll thank yourself when your 30+. Trust me.

Both Very good tips, between drumline, bands and mowing my hearing is BAD.... at 22.

I was at a 20 minimum 4 years ago, my estimating/quoting was based on $30 hr for me to walking mow the lawn

JeffRocknr
04-19-2007, 11:14 AM
I used to have a mowing service and it got to be pretty good size. I started out when i was a kid driving the mover to local yards and by the time i was at the end of high school i had two kids working for me part time just so i could keep up. I found that presentation is key. Even if you are small make it look like you are a big company. Have a clean vehicle a dress nice. Even if it is 100% out KEEP YOUR SHIRT ON. I had some nice polo shirts made and worn kaki shorts. Has cards made up and some flyers. But most of my work came from word of mouth. Apperence goes along way. I made really good money mowing then started doing landscaping. Start out small, decide if you really want to do it, then invest in a good mower. With a good zero turn mower you will be surprised how much grass you can cut by yourself in one day. A leaf blower is also good to have, so when you are done you can blow off the drive and the street infront of the house. Alos somthing you might want to think about is some magnetic signs for your truck. And even some small signs to put in your clients yards. It will take awhile to build your buisness so be patient. Hope this helps.
I sold my buisness when i went to college and now do somthing totally different but wish i would have keep doing it. I don't know how much snow you get but you can put a plow on your truck in the winter and make alittle money doing that also.

troyleepred719
04-19-2007, 11:48 AM
I took over my fathers business, along with my brother. Lawn maintenace is an awesome business if you know what your doing. Set a minimun charge of 35 dollars, that why you r not waisiting your time with small lawns, your still makeing some money, start off with what you have, using your own stuff. use what you make to expand, but set aside so much before you take it too far.

quad2xtreme
04-19-2007, 04:59 PM
if you invest in a rider don't get a zero-turn if you plan to mow hilly terrain. They have shopping cart front wheels. All steering is provided by the rear wheels. If you are on a hill and lose traction, say bye-bye as you go sliding to the bottom of the hill.

The only way around it is to mow straight uphill and then backdown and then go up again.

I have zoomed into the woods twice now...glad I didn't hit a tree. Once I ended up in a small ditch and got stuck but no damage. If I had to do it over again, I would get a regular lawn tractor. Now that I am in NC and my yard is fairly flat, it is a great mower.

GALawnMgmt
04-19-2007, 06:08 PM
START SMALL!!!! It all goes up hill from there if you get out an hustle and are balls-to-the-wall, sun-up, sun-down you will make money. If someone wants you there on sunday night at 7:30PM you better be there and not let anyone down.....word of mouth is worth millions!! It is a cut throat business, but I love doing it and it can be alot of fun!!

tat900
04-19-2007, 06:32 PM
thats a laugh a tractor style mower is better on hills
. If your starting out get a 36" walk behind then upgtrade later. I run a lawn/landscape business and its not the best biz in the world but if you hustle you can make it . If i was you I would get 5- 10 yards and slowly move on up . Currently im doin 75 residential yards and 10 commercial accounts. My equipment is a 36" toro walk behind, 48 john deere 717a, 48" examark lazer, 52" toro walk behind , stihl backapck blower and hedge clippers , and redmax weedeaters. Dont use homeowner equipmetn it wont last. If you need any tips try lawnsite.com for info . My prices range from 35-55 on subdivsion yards . If you really want to get accounts fliers are not the way to go . You might get 1 out of 300 call back. Your almost starting too late to put your name out there i set my accounts up in febuary and contracts signed in march

400exrules
04-19-2007, 10:59 PM
my friend that does this told me to get a walk-behind also. all i have right now is 2 push mowers, a weedeater and a blower.
Are walk-behinds pretty good? How much could i get a decent one for?

tat900
04-20-2007, 06:00 AM
You can buy a new 36" for under 4 grand i prefer a toro with tbar and belt drive . You can find em used for 1000-2500 easily . I started out with that and worked 35 accounts solo with that machine . If you are serious about this you gotta get insurance and biz liceanse . Alot of full time guys are having enough of part timers come in and now pay taxes or insurance and turning them in around here . In the past week i have been asked for biz liceanse numerous times . If you can make it in august with the heat thats the true test of any lawn crew . If you need help my email is igtat900@yahoo.com

bradley300
04-21-2007, 07:22 AM
you could buy a used bunton for half that, there are two of them tho. a sort of light green is a newer one, personally i liked the darker green ones. they are older and solid as a rock. mine was built ten years before i was born (biult in the early 70's) its never had a rebuild and the guy i sold it to said it still starts on the first pull and still runs strong

Scott-300ex
04-21-2007, 12:14 PM
I didn't read any posts above but if your going to start your own business, one word

INSURANCE.

You need hardcore insurane man.

Good luck