PDA

View Full Version : Long travel worth it?

2002Honda400ex
04-18-2007, 06:55 PM
I have been thinking of buying a long travel kit for my 400ex. Is it really worth it or not? I mostly ride mx, and some fast woods riding. I have thought of just buying stock travel shocks and geting them really stiff. What would be best

esr250r86
04-18-2007, 09:22 PM
Long Travel suspension is definitely worth it imo. Alot of people will give you mixed answers. Long travel allows for more travel needed for more aggressive riding/racing. But if you are more of a recreational racer standard travel would work fine.

Jramion
04-18-2007, 10:19 PM
Not an expert on this but I would think you only need the longer travel if you are going to be hitting a lot of high jumps. If you are trail riding and the jumps are small I don't think you would need the extra travel.

Anyone else have a better opinion?

mod440ex
04-19-2007, 07:36 AM
i do alot of fast trail riding and thinking about doing some hairscrambles and i have stock 450rs and i love them, alot better than stock 400ex, and alot cheaper than going with an aftermarket shock.

awsomeaussies
04-19-2007, 08:57 AM
If your buying new a-arms also, I would get the long travel. I mean the shocks are the same price whether there long travel or not, so I'd go for it :D

400exMO
04-19-2007, 05:44 PM
Originally posted by Jramion
Not an expert on this but I would think you only need the longer travel if you are going to be hitting a lot of high jumps. If you are trail riding and the jumps are small I don't think you would need the extra travel.

Anyone else have a better opinion?
Long travel does not mean the quad will have more wheel travel.

JOEX
04-19-2007, 06:08 PM
My understading is LT shocks offer little or no added travel but do offer more tuning ability.

I also belive there is a substantial price difference between standard travel and long travel.

For those who think +2, +3 arms are all long travel you are mistaken, standard travel shocks can be +2 and +3.

speedracer13t
04-20-2007, 09:04 PM
Not necessarily wheel travel, but suspension travel, and yes it is a huge difference.

oldskoolex400
04-20-2007, 09:19 PM
it just depends how the shock is set-up

JetTech
04-21-2007, 09:17 AM
Does anybody have a tech article or a webpage availible to view so I can underatnd this question? Maybe someone can explain it. I'm new to this long travel suspension and have heard so many differeny opinions from many different people. I've even asked Elka and they didn't explain it to me that well. Elka told me about it like i was an experienced guy or something. If anybody can explain it in Layman's terms that would be great.

zrpilot
04-21-2007, 10:21 AM
I think that long travel is a marketing gimmick. Long travel systems just use long shocks and sometimes lower leverage ratios. In my opinion, more wheel travel at a slower progression is not necessarily better then less wheel travel at a faster progression. This simply makes tuning a little easier.

I think a stock shock suspension that is setup correctly can perform as good if not better at a lower cost.

awsomeaussies
04-21-2007, 11:14 AM
Originally posted by JOEX
I also belive there is a substantial price difference between standard travel and long travel.

I've only checked with PEP and Motowoz and they where the same price:confused: I figured they'd be more also, but that's why I went with LT.

czrider263
04-21-2007, 11:30 AM
LT offers more wheel drop which helps alot. It gives you prob alittle more "useable" travel. With the added drop the suspension can absorb dips and bummps better. Worth the extra money IMO.

800screws
04-21-2007, 06:26 PM
if u think about it, the arc that the wheel is traveling is the same with long travel or standard, it is dependent on the width. someone had said it before, that with long travel, there is more adjustability in that the arc is taking longer to make with the longer shock.

DOHC
04-21-2007, 07:13 PM
I would go with it if u have the money but regular travel will be fine, hell i the 90fter at my local track on stock shocks hahaha dont try it!