PDA

View Full Version : Starting bike

wagonproject
04-18-2007, 04:28 PM
Well I have an 05 405r that sat all winter and I cant start it now. I've read I need to clean the carb. Is this correct? Can someone explain to me how I do this or point me in a direction. THanks guys and sorry for the newb question.

wagonproject
04-18-2007, 08:33 PM
well I took the plastics and tank off and drained all the old gas out. But damn it looks like I could never get the carb off, so much stuff. Can I just use some carb cleaner through the air filter hole?

trx450jason
04-18-2007, 08:41 PM
Try putting it in a warm place or a heater on it if its still cold where you are. Also drain all the gas out of the carb and the gas tank and try using fresh gas.

wagonproject
04-18-2007, 08:45 PM
yeah its in the 60's here. How do I drain the carb?

Flyin-Low
04-18-2007, 08:58 PM
From the shifter side of the quad, on the carburetor there will be a bronze colored screw facing you near the bottom of the carb. Use a flat head screw driver and turn that out until the gas starts to pour out of the bottom (you do not need to remove the carb for this)

Simple enough.

-Martin

lumi
04-18-2007, 09:06 PM
i agree with the above.. also "COLD" dump both the engine and tranny oil and replace with new oils. also while ur in there change the oil filter. most people like to spray some oil fogger prior or just before starting after a long time of sitting but i never do.. take out the main and if u can access the pilot and check to see if there clean and just flush and dump the carb with new gas.always cleaned everything up for me anyways

after those things have been done.. u should be off to a nice ride.

good luck

-lumi

wagonproject
04-19-2007, 07:44 PM
Okay so ill drain the carb also. I really dont want to take it off as I know nothing about them and what all it is and what not. Anything else I should do while the tanks off? Thanks for the help guys and hopefully this weekend it will fire.