PDA

View Full Version : What Would Win In A Race?

mothergoose
04-18-2007, 12:01 AM
I HAVE A 99 HONDA 400EX WITH WP RESV. FRONT SHOCKS AND PEPS RESV.REAR SHOCK, LAEGER-PROTRAX STEM AND MOUNTS TAG HANDLEBARS W/ TRIPLE DENSITY GEL PROGRIPS, MAXXIS RAZERS 20''TALL, WHITE BROS E-SERIES SLIP ON PIPE, PRO-COM CDI BOX, NO AIR LID, WHITE BROS. POWER FILTER W/OUTERWEAR, REJETTED CARB 168 MAIN-145 PILOT, REMOVED CHOAK, IMS 4.3 GAL FUEL CELL REMOVED PARKING BRAKE(BLOCK OFF PLATE), ALL STAINLESS STEEL BRAKE LINES, FACTORY 15/38 SPROCKETS W/NEW O RING CHAIN, DUNCAN CASE SAVER, MAIER RACING YELLOW PLASTICS, CEET GRIPPER SEAT, FORMULA USA ALUMINUM AIR SCOOPS, PRM ALUM. BUMPER AND DESERT GRAB BAR, JOHN LUCKY STEEL NERF BARS WITH EXTENDED PEGS, I ALSO HAVE A 16 AND 14 TOOTH FRONT SPROCKET THAT CAME WITH THE BIKE. I AM WONDERING IF I WOULD RACE A STOCK 660 RAPTOR IN A 300 FOOT RACE OR IF I RACED A STOCK 450R IN A 300 FT RACE WHO WOULD WIN? AND SHOULD I CHANGE SPROCKETS, AND WHAT GEAR SHOULD I START IN, DUMP IT IN FIRST, OR LEAVE OFF REV LIMITER IN SECOND? ANY OTHER HELPFUL MODS OR TIPS WOULD BE GREAT. THANKS ALOT

pats2007450er
04-18-2007, 12:22 AM
if i were you i would put small sprocket on and let it eat in 2nd gear that way when they are letting of trottle to hit 2nd your on the gas ready for 3rd gear.dont be afraid to rev it out.smaller sprocket on front is bottom end.hopethis helps,dont for get to clutch the he-- out of it.good luck:)

Eviltanker
04-18-2007, 06:37 AM
"MAXXIS RAZERS 20''TALL, WHITE BROS E-SERIES SLIP ON PIPE, PRO-COM CDI BOX, NO AIR LID, WHITE BROS. POWER FILTER W/OUTERWEAR, REJETTED CARB 168 MAIN-145 PILOT, REMOVED CHOAK,""I ALSO HAVE A 16 AND 14 TOOTH FRONT SPROCKET THAT CAME WITH THE BIKE. I AM WONDERING IF I WOULD RACE A STOCK 660 RAPTOR IN A 300 FOOT RACE OR IF I RACED A STOCK 450R IN A 300 FT RACE WHO WOULD WIN? AND SHOULD I CHANGE SPROCKETS, AND WHAT GEAR SHOULD I START IN, DUMP IT IN FIRST, OR LEAVE OFF REV LIMITER IN SECOND? ANY OTHER HELPFUL MODS OR TIPS WOULD BE GREAT. THANKS ALOT"

These are the important things. Go down to a 14 tooth, 2nd gear off the line and let the clutch slip some off the line to keep the rears from spinning to much and you might have a chance on the raptor after some practice. As for the 450R, You will need more practice yet. If you are a better rider than them you might have a chance. Don't get discouraged by this, With practice you will be surprised at how fast you can be.

JUST REMEMBER.... PRACTICE IS THE BEST MOD!!!!

400exrider707
04-18-2007, 07:10 AM
All you have peforamance wise is a pipe and filter, with stock gearing and stock size tires... both machines will eat you alive, the raptor not as badly, but you dont have a chance, unless both riders are terrible and stall or one of the machines pops a tire or runs out of gas or something.

Eviltanker
04-18-2007, 07:28 AM
How about givin him ideas on how to instead of telling him he can't. No disrespect to you but, we all gotta start somewhere. We need to encourage, and give good advice to new riders not just tell them the negative end of it. My advice is actually stay in the woods to race that levels the playing field.

400exrider707
04-18-2007, 07:47 AM
Originally posted by Eviltanker
How about givin him ideas on how to instead of telling him he can't. No disrespect to you but, we all gotta start somewhere. We need to encourage, and give good advice to new riders not just tell them the negative end of it. My advice is actually stay in the woods to race that levels the playing field.

He asked what would win in a race, and I told him... no point in trying to butter it up or lying to him about it.

Ok if you want some advice on how to improve we need some info...

what type of racing are you doing? Straight line? Woods track, mx track? Is this a one time thing that wont matter once its over or are you racing straight lines for a while?

How much money do you want/have to spend?

underpowered
04-18-2007, 07:56 AM
Originally posted by 400exrider707
He asked what would win in a race, and I told him... no point in trying to butter it up or lying to him about it.

exactly. he asked, and simply put he will get waxed if the other riders are decent. a piped and jetted 400 will not hold a candle to a 450r or a rapturd.

there are some things he could do to make it closer like practice, but in the end he will still most likely end up losing.

Eviltanker
04-18-2007, 07:56 AM
The one thing That can be said is We are not that old yet that we need large print.
On the advice I understand what you guys are saying. When I started out I lost all the time but, it was great practice and I learned from it. We all know that the 400 isn't a super fast quad and all. with some engine work and seat time though he will learn the strenghts and weaknesses and be able to expliot the strenghts to his advantage. I will admit you guys are right all I'm saying is let's give him advice on how to improve and advice on making the quad faster. In time he will know what he can race and win and what will stomp his nuts. I guess I'm just stuck in a military frame of mind that says: don't just say this won't work, give a solution or advice to improve the situation with it.

vett_09
04-18-2007, 08:54 AM
400exrider707 is right. It's hard to give advice on how to exploit the strengths of a 400ex in a drag race. (I'm assuming it's a drag race because he mentioned 300 feet.) With it only being piped and jetted, and even if he had more performance mods, the race probably wont even be close. The 450r makes so much more power, and although the Raptor is heavy, the displacement becomes a factor once it hits its powerband. He'd probably get the Raptor off the line, especially if he's a better rider, but it wont last long.

On the same note, I agree with Eviltanker that the best mod is practice. He should practice as much as he can. But I also think he shouldn't set the bar so high his first time around. His sig does say the 400ex is his first sportsbike. 90% of the things he listed wont factor into the race. Tires - yes, piped and jetted - yes, air box lid off - sure, suspension - a little. But he'll have to spend more money to make it competitive.

400exrider707
04-18-2007, 09:24 AM
No amount of seat time in the world will win him a straight line race against a 450R with the mods he has currently... I know, I've been there done that...

Eviltanker
04-18-2007, 10:20 AM
yeah sorry about the 450r thing. I typed in practice when I ment mods. Sorry again I'm having a tough day.

rooster_20
04-18-2007, 11:51 AM
If you dont type in all uppercase you will go faster!

mothergoose
04-18-2007, 03:10 PM
Thanks everyone for all the constructive critisizm. I am going camping at Bricks 4x4 Farm and they have a 300 ft drag strip with a light tree and times. I wont be racing all the time just on this camping trip, my buddy just got a 01 stock 660 Raturd and I was just wondering about a 450r. We are going down there Memorial day weekend, so I dont have much time to work with, so what mods could I do to increase my performance/power in a drag race? should i try a Stage 1 or Stage 2 Hotcams or my buddy has a web cam for my bike for 50bucks but i dont know if it is a direct install like the hotcams or if i have to modify rockers or anything else. Is a curtis sparks 6degree key worth it, can i run the degree key along with my rev box? Also what will my bike top out at with a 14 tooth sprocket, 20''tires, and rev box? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks Again.

Eviltanker
04-18-2007, 03:32 PM
I don't know about the webcam( I know others are up on that) As for the timing key with a revbox, I don't think they are meant to work together. With the sparks timing key proper jetting and your tires you will be right in between 67.5 and 68ish MPH topped out.

450rJam
04-18-2007, 03:56 PM
the 400 isnt a drag quad, its strong suit is reliability and handling.

the 660 is at its best in a drag race (dosent handle well)
the 450r is pretty much top in everything but slow trails.

in a drag race your going to come up short, if you want to compete vs your friends then take them to your quads stronger
suit. (race in the trails/xc) the tighter the better.

a tight trail wont let the 660/450r use all their power, the 660 wont handle as well as your 400 so you will have the advantage.

try to tilt the table in your advantage

maddmatt02
04-28-2007, 03:54 AM
ok, first, I raced flattrack last year and my first season I finished 8th out of 33 in points in the 4 stroke open class, not that great I know but it was my first season, my gf got 2nd overall in the womens open, and first overall season before. neither of us are pro or anything but we know what we are doing and are pretty goodat knowing our machine.

she has K&N/DRD pipe, jetted accordingly, -1T up front, and runs 20" ITP sand stars, my bike set up like the sig says. even with all that her 04 YFZ450 is still 1-2 bikes ahead when im in the middle-upper end of 5th gear, we did it a few times and unless Id wheelie like crazy, or something like that it always ended the same, we even switched bikes and got identical results, those new 450's are FAST. the 04/05 450r's cant keep up with the YFZ's from what ive read and also I saw a 450r with lots of work barely beat a YFZ about as bad as a YFZ beats me, so maybe Id hang with or beat a older 450r, but any new 450's, nope. and I got alot of work done to mine.

well see what happens once I get the carb/stg3/built head though.............

z-mann
06-07-2007, 01:03 PM
I wonder who's 450r you are asking about? :D

TYayo420
06-07-2007, 09:30 PM
It's mostly rider skill.

I started to race TT this year, and in the class i'm in, my first race, i was agaiinst a raptor 700gysr and a yfz450, 440ex, and a z400 took second place to the raptor. I know it isn't a drag race, but it has more to do with skill then anything, if your a skileld rider then that will help alot, practice is the best advice.

I start off with the bike in second on the line, cluth in, and rev it out to the limiter and dump the clutch when i take off.

maddmatt02
06-08-2007, 07:23 AM
you hold it at the limiter while waiting for the light? whats the track surface youre on, what tires, where I raced you do that and you either spin like mad, or like some guys did go right over on their a.. funny stuff watching a guy go right back to the grab bar within about 2 ft of forward movement.

TYayo420
06-08-2007, 07:50 AM
the track is clay, and i have knobbies, and when the light tree lights up it goes to the limiter. I also have my weight over my bars.

XXXRACER165
06-08-2007, 11:07 AM
I run my 440EX balls to the walls to beat a stock 450R. You will have to spend a bit of money to compete with those bikes.

Kaleigh
06-08-2007, 01:44 PM
Originally posted by 400exrider707
All you have peforamance wise is a pipe and filter, with stock gearing and stock size tires... both machines will eat you alive, the raptor not as badly, but you dont have a chance, unless both riders are terrible and stall or one of the machines pops a tire or runs out of gas or something.

I have to agree here.. no really much you can do beside bore and stroke and hop it up some more.. you might be able to beat them around a track but if they have the same skill as you in drag racing then you really have little hope of winning..

speedracer13t
06-09-2007, 08:10 AM
Rider, I have see a guy jump off his class a 450r onto a 250ex and nail a 60ft double at rausch creek, I honestly believe that it is 9/10ths rider the rest is the machine.

XXXRACER165
06-09-2007, 09:18 AM
Originally posted by speedracer13t
Rider, I have see a guy jump off his class a 450r onto a 250ex and nail a 60ft double at rausch creek, I honestly believe that it is 9/10ths rider the rest is the machine.

Exactly:D

Kaleigh
06-09-2007, 09:58 AM
Originally posted by speedracer13t

thats a different story.. he's talking about a drag race..

TYayo420
06-09-2007, 10:00 AM
Originally posted by Kaleigh
thats a different story.. he's talking about a drag race..

yeah so...what if there not good shifting and dont shift at right times? they might be new to it too or not as skilled as him.

Kaleigh
06-09-2007, 10:25 AM
Originally posted by TYayo420
yeah so...what if there not good shifting and dont shift at right times? they might be new to it too or not as skilled as him.

just about everyone that rides hard nows how to shift.. even if the raptor or 450r got a bad start.. they're more then likely still win the drag race..

when you talk about rider being better.. it doesn matter to an extent.. Im not going to lie about that.. but if you dont have the power to back yourself up.. then you really have no chance of winning no matter what you do..

I have raced my buddies raptor and 450r's and I have no chance of winning.. I have even beat them off the start but then they just end up flying past me no matter how hard I try..

Kaleigh
06-09-2007, 10:30 AM
can everyone stop referring to track racing and how they beat all these other machines.. I understand that you all do.. but this is a drag race..

you have WAY MORE of a chance of winning on a track then in a drag..

but when you say its all rider.. well ofcourse when it comes to the track its 90% rider.. cause you're taking turns.. taking the right lines.. the right speed over jumps etc..

Batavia's450r
06-09-2007, 12:46 PM
lol Norm you raced my girlfriedn on the 440 and we all know she aint fast... the other kid was like 13 on the z... and that wasnt a raptor it was a yfz450 it was hippy dougs brother from the mountain just cause it said gytr doesnt mean its a raptor