PDA

View Full Version : Causing Fires????

firefighterjosh
04-17-2007, 07:56 PM
Anyone ever hear of a fire being started due to sparks coming out of the exhaulst of a quad?

I know ussually a spark aresstor cuts down on noise too but just weird having to have one when I go to the dunes:p

Guess its just a State thing:confused:

Pipeless416
04-17-2007, 08:11 PM
Originally posted by firefighterjosh
Anyone ever hear of a fire being started due to sparks coming out of the exhaulst of a quad?

I know ussually a spark aresstor cuts down on noise too but just weird having to have one when I go to the dunes:p

Guess its just a State thing:confused:

i heard of a forest fire that was started in california due to some sparks from a quads exhaust. although anything catches fire out there.. everything causes cancer and birth defects too.. :rolleyes:

troyleepred719
04-17-2007, 08:28 PM
Cant say I have, but we had a barn fire a few years back that started from a muffler sparking on a tractor, lets just say alot of hamburg ;)

JOEX
04-17-2007, 08:33 PM
I think it's more of a blanket law that covers all public land. But there is a fair amount of vegetation around the dunes out this way.

400eXr1d3rZ
04-17-2007, 08:35 PM
How can a spark set fire to something? Spark igniting gas I can understand, but a forest?

firefighterjosh
04-17-2007, 08:38 PM
Originally posted by 400eXr1d3rZ
How can a spark set fire to something? Spark igniting gas I can understand, but a forest?

Spark = Hot + Wood/Leaves = Fire

Mxjunkie
04-17-2007, 08:38 PM

When theres a drout or it's a fairly dry area to start with it doesn't take much to ignite a flame.. I cannot see how a " spark " can come from an exhaust, a back fire flame but theres never any spark's or atleast I've never seen a spark come from an exhaust :p

firefighterjosh
04-17-2007, 08:39 PM
Originally posted by JOEX
I think it's more of a blanket law that covers all public land. But there is a fair amount of vegetation around the dunes out this way.

There is a little vegitation at silver lake but it seems mostly there is just pestrized (sp?) logs that really hurt when you hit them:o

JOEX
04-17-2007, 08:42 PM
Originally posted by Mxjunkie
When theres a drout or it's a fairly dry area to start with it doesn't take much to ignite a flame.. I cannot see how a " spark " can come from an exhaust, a back fire flame but theres never any spark's or atleast I've never seen a spark come from an exhaust :p
Doesn't matter... either one can start a fire...

Mxjunkie
04-17-2007, 08:43 PM
Very true, it just seem's odd it's not called a flame arrestor instead because you'd figure that's what they'd want to stop but eh.. that wont happen :blah:

Shift_450R
04-18-2007, 07:50 AM
when my buddy let his raptor sit for two years, we tried to get it going and he was starting it and he gutted his pipe and the dumbass me standing behind it, it backfired really bad and about a 12" flame shot out and almost caught my hoody on fire....and the flame and pressure caught me in the junk too, felt like someone kicked me in the balls. Its funny now that i look back at it but damn did that suck.

nightrider05
04-18-2007, 08:02 AM

I guess you have never seen hot packing getting blown out of a muffler?

Pappy
04-18-2007, 08:08 AM
Originally posted by nightrider05
I guess you have never seen hot packing getting blown out of a muffler?

i was getting ready to post that same info. the "sparks" are not sparks, but carbon and packing that can catch fire and be thrown out, much like a cigarette. ive seen smoking leaves at races where smoldering debris was expelled from an exhaust. the "spark" arrestor is designed to catch thses deposits and break them up by exhaust velocity.

Honda#4
04-18-2007, 10:57 AM
I think it's got to do more so with sound reglations in forests and stuff like that, the only time a quad is gonna shoot sparks is when its lean.

m.h.s.c.#527
04-18-2007, 11:36 AM
heppens mostly in nevada arizona cali ive seen one in reno nevada once

Pappy
04-18-2007, 12:01 PM
Originally posted by Honda#4
I think it's got to do more so with sound reglations in forests and stuff like that, the only time a quad is gonna shoot sparks is when its lean.

only if its lean enough for parts to start coming apart...lol