PDA

View Full Version : high cpu usage computer question

honduh440
04-17-2007, 07:51 PM
i use a lot of adobe premiere and when i try to preview one of the videos with the built in video player it always throws the cpu usage in the windows task manager up to 100% within 2 seconds. i have a 2.6 ghz processor but only 256 mb of memory so i bought a extra stick of 512 thinking that would help but still didnt phase it. anybody have any clue what i can do.

and i did the simple stuff like run for spyware/adware and defrag

<DRS>GPF
04-18-2007, 06:23 AM
get even more memory(like 1gig or better) and you might try adjusting the performance..

control panel\ 'system' properties\advanced\performance\
select [adjust for best performance]

there's more tweaks you can do.. do a search for "windows XP tweaks"

there's a program called tweakUI that works well.. only make the changes youre sure about and understand what theyll affect.

some programs are just hogs.. there's a couple of CAD app's that i occasionally run and they really chew into the CPU.. that PC has 1.2gig of memory..

when its really draggin' bad, i temporarily kill the anti-virus to free up more running memory..

FHKracingZ
04-18-2007, 06:53 AM
When ure using adobe try to kill as many processes as u can. I would say once your over a meg of ram you should be good to go. Also what type of processor are u running

whiteboycustom
04-18-2007, 07:03 AM
if i remember correctly u can only run the same ram in each slot so the 256 and 512 wont work together, for instance i have 4 slots and i have 512 in each so i have 2gb of ram in my pc

go to your disk defrag and see what the percentage is, if ur at 85% or higher then u shouldnt be that slow but anything lower starts to drag the pc,delete crap u dont use and if u dl music and vids buya external harddrive to store all of that also pics put them on there

FHKracingZ
04-18-2007, 07:39 AM
Whats on ure hard drive has NOTHING to do with your computer running slow unless your trying to access it. As long as its the same type of ram ( Sdram or DDR ) you can run it in the slots, dosnt matter the stick size of the ram.

whiteboycustom
04-18-2007, 08:08 AM
ok well my sony desktop's ram has to be the same as in matching size ram, i know for a fact on mine its that way,

"In other words, a motherboard that supports dual-channel DDR will usually have two RAM banks, with two slots each. If you put a 512 MB stick of PC-3200 DDR in the first slot of the first bank, then you must also put a 512 MB stick of PC-3200 DDR in the first slot of the second bank in order to use the dual-channel configuration. If you choose to use the second slots, as well, then the second slot of each bank must contain RAM modules that are identical to each other, and which must match the speed of the RAM in the first slots"

another thing pull ur cover off and get about 2 cans of air and clean the crap out of it and make sure the fan is cooling good that will help overall performance and if u know what programs u need to run u can go to start:run:type-msconfig:go to startup and uncheck crap that dont need to run for ex. weatherbug or aim or yahoo, stuff that boots up at startup that u really dont use,

and from personal experiance a less cluttered hard drive performs alot better then one packed full of $hit

honduh440
04-18-2007, 11:14 PM
i have a 2.6 ghz processor..... the different memory cards deffinatly work fine...... it just kind of blows my mind how it takes up so much cpu its a small window in the program i would think that it wouldnt be any stronger then opening windows media player and playing a video. im thinkin about deleteing the computer and reloading windows.

NeverLiftRacing
04-19-2007, 12:22 AM
cameron what are you talking about. you are such a nerd man. why dont you quit fiddling with your puter and start riding. lol:D

js52589
04-19-2007, 12:37 AM
does your PC run slow when premiere is open? has it ever shut itself down? if not, why are you worried about what cpu usage is... check your temps while its running, if its ok dont worry

honduh440
04-19-2007, 08:05 AM
no it doesnt run slow when its open only when i go to hit play on the preview monitor which is extremly important.... otherwise u have to spend 20 min exporting the video just till realize u have several things u want to change

and quincy i got a call from chad wienen he said to tell u he doesnt want u on his sack anymore

FHKracingZ
04-19-2007, 08:28 AM
that is true. The closer every slot on the mother board is to the processer the faster it is. for example, agp , pci , pci express being the closest to the processer the faster it is. If you are running a AMD you will have faster memory dump but slower processing unless your running a dual core processor. what type of processor are u running

whiteboycustom
04-19-2007, 08:41 AM
u can always build ur own, run dual motherboards, about 4 gbs of ram, dual graphics cards, and go ahead and run a water cooled system on it, keep windows xp dont try to bump up to vista its a memory hog ,,,,,,,, with all that u should be fine

Ralph
04-19-2007, 10:40 AM
Originally posted by whiteboycustom
u can always build ur own, run dual motherboards, about 4 gbs of ram, dual graphics cards, and go ahead and run a water cooled system on it, keep windows xp dont try to bump up to vista its a memory hog ,,,,,,,, with all that u should be fine

In other words spend 2000$:blah:

whiteboycustom
04-19-2007, 11:05 AM
actually about 800 is u only run 1 motherboard and 1 graphics card, my buddy built one for around that price, newegg or some site like that is where he bought it all

mephyst
04-19-2007, 11:57 AM
It would probably hit 100% CPU usage even if you did have a gig of ram or higher. And yes, you can use different sizes of memory and it will work fine.

Either get used to it, it look into getting a dual core processor. :) Some programs just use a lot of CPU usage, and the ram will help smooth it, but it will probably still use maximum amounts of CPU usage.

For example... I have a very nice computer that I built myself. When I burn CD's/DVD's my CPU usage goes to 100%, and I have 2 gigs of ram. I don't think more ram would help either.

honduh440
04-19-2007, 09:09 PM
2.6 ghz processor intel celeron.

im tempted to get a MAC and just use windows for web browsing and music

gojk
04-19-2007, 11:49 PM
Originally posted by honduh440
i use a lot of adobe premiere and when i try to preview one of the videos with the built in video player it always throws the cpu usage in the windows task manager up to 100% within 2 seconds. i have a 2.6 ghz processor but only 256 mb of memory so i bought a extra stick of 512 thinking that would help but still didnt phase it. anybody have any clue what i can do.

and i did the simple stuff like run for spyware/adware and defrag

This is actually normal. Adobe Premier is rendering the video which is a very CPU intensive task. There is really no way around it expect to buy a faster processor, but even then it will max out that CPU until the video has been completely rendered. I am sure there are some option in Premier to adjust the video quality of the previews which would lessen the time the CPU sits at 100%. It is very difficult to throttle the CPU for specific processes, but you can put the priority for the CPU intensive process lower so that it doesn't effect other applications as much during the rendering.