PDA

View Full Version : magura clutch mod

gandalf
04-17-2007, 07:18 PM
Just finished my install of the magura jack hydraulic clutch. probably one of my best mods. It is 100 times better then the stock clutch. Very smooth feel to it.

They should put some more effort into the installation instructions.

esr250r86
04-17-2007, 07:37 PM
What was so hard about it to install? How does it ride.

gandalf
04-17-2007, 07:53 PM
install was not that difficult. there are a few parts like spacers and washers that they do not really give clear direction on there use but it did not take too long to figure out.

It rides great.it has a very consistant feel to it. When releasing my stock clutch lever it always felt like it let out all at once with the Magura as soon as i start to let the lever out the bike starts to roll.

One thing with it is there is no place to mount the green and green&yellow wires from the stock perch and the e-brake is no longer. i did not mind that since my e-brake only worked for the first week i had the bike anyway

dariusld
04-18-2007, 09:03 AM
I always wanted one, but was afraid of breaking my$200 clutch when I rolled my quad.

asa400ex
04-18-2007, 03:47 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by gandalf
[B]install was not that difficult. there are a few parts like spacers and washers that they do not really give clear direction on there use but it did not take too long to figure out.

So where did the small washers go? I have one in my garage waiting for me to install.

Did the slave rod go through the mounting bracket that looks like a nut? It looks like the threads of the nut might rub on the slave cylinder.

I totally agree with you when you say the direction SUCK :mad:

NacsMXer
04-18-2007, 05:35 PM
Originally posted by gandalf
install was not that difficult. there are a few parts like spacers and washers that they do not really give clear direction on there use but it did not take too long to figure out.

It rides great.it has a very consistant feel to it. When releasing my stock clutch lever it always felt like it let out all at once with the Magura as soon as i start to let the lever out the bike starts to roll.

One thing with it is there is no place to mount the green and green&yellow wires from the stock perch and the e-brake is no longer. i did not mind that since my e-brake only worked for the first week i had the bike anyway

Anytime you replace the stock clutch lever/perch assembly you forfeit the ability to use your parking brake. It is a piece of junk anyways and doesn't like to stay in adjustment as you can tell from your experience.

The two wires is what gives you the ability to start in gear with the clutch pulled in. What you want to do is tie them together and tape them up and out of the way with the rest of the wiring harness. This will allow you to still start in gear with the clutch pulled in but be aware that it will also start anytime you hit the starter button without the clutch pulled ;) The quad will "jump" forward on ya if you do that just a heads up.

That being said I love my Magura hydro clutch, I will never go back to anything else I am so spoiled by it :p

(asa400ex, read this if you are confused)
I agree the instructions leave something to be desired but it's very straight forward: mount the lever to the bars, route the cable how you want, bolt up the black mounting bracket, slide the slave cylinder rod through the silver threaded "adjuster" (it is slotted to make it easy), then thread the adjuster through the mounting bracket and connect the slave cylinder rod to the clutch arm at the clutchcover. Adjust it by threading the silver adjuster in or out of the black mounting bracket. This will space the slave cylinder closer or further from the bracket thus acting like you were tightening or loosening your old clutch cable.

The washers it comes with are just the sealing washers where the line connects to the slave cylinder in the event you have to disconnect it for some reason. Just 3 parts of importance with this kit: lever/line/slave cylinder assembly, mounting bracket, threaded adjuster...pretty simple :)