PDA

View Full Version : Fox Evols

CMALONE070
04-17-2007, 06:15 PM
I know this has been asked a million times but I wanted to know if the fox evols were any good and how they compare to other brands.

esr250r86
04-17-2007, 06:52 PM
I personally dont have them, but a friend I know is running them and he really likes them and said they were his favorite shocks that he has had so far. I like the fact that you can air them up to set to what your riding conditions are.

kawabunga
04-17-2007, 08:00 PM
i love mine. they're basically infinitely adjustable. for the winter i can set them super soft and plush for rutted up frozen lakes and then adjust the air pressure with couple quick, easy pumps and be ready for an mx track. you can set them up for every riding and racing condition. and they've worked flawlessly for me. i recommend them if you can afford them.

honda4life72
04-17-2007, 08:07 PM
anybody know if u can run them with a sway bar? like will the rezzies hit?

patrickj75
04-17-2007, 08:57 PM
Rath Racing sells a wider swaybar tube and torsion bar to run with long travel front shocks. i ran Fox Evols for TT last summer. those shocks are amazing and extremely light. heres a pic of my setup last year.

eganracing
04-17-2007, 09:44 PM
i remember hearing something about them needing to be rebuilt more often than a coil. is this true or am i just confused?

kawabunga
04-17-2007, 10:19 PM
the book recommends getting them serviced every season if you race. it says it depends on how much you ride and the conditions. mine were on the wheeler when i bought it and the shocks were already a year old. the guy before me didnt take very good care of them and one of them leaked oil pretty bad, so i sent them in to be rebuilt anyway. they were TONS better afterwards. new shocks basically. if you take good care of them, you probably wouldnt have to do this, even if you dont they're still going to work. but if you're going to pay that much for something, you better be taking good care of it, and it is a high preformance item so it requires attention and maintenence just like anything else...

pats2007450er
04-17-2007, 10:26 PM
its wierd how those shocks work with no springs just gas:)

4bidden
04-17-2007, 10:52 PM
Originally posted by pats2007450er
its wierd how those shocks work with no springs just gas:)

Which is exactly why I don't trust them.

NeverLiftRacing
04-17-2007, 11:23 PM
i completely love mine. they are sooo smooth compared to my old pep's. setup is very easy and i was told by johnny hale that they are quick and easy to rebuild. and rebiuild is only needed at the end of each racing season. you need some for sure. good luck getting some.

pats2007450er
04-17-2007, 11:42 PM
i read in the 2004 dirt wheels.they put fox shox on dvx project quad.the first ride the shock's started leaking fluid every where.Elka or stadiums are the only way i would go with.i would trust my stocks more that fox evol shock's.a lot of racers are trying them out.:confused:

kawabunga
04-18-2007, 07:14 AM
a lot of racers are trying them out because they work and are very good shocks. and for the people that dont trust them, you dont think it's possible to blow a coil shock? true, if you blow an evol, you dont have a spring to support it, but i've never heard of anybody completely blowing one out. regardless, each shock is going to need service. and if you would happen to blow them, they do have a warrenty on them. i had one shock basically completely rebuilt (new sleeve, shock body and bearing assembly) and both recieved the recharge kit for a grand total of $15. if you would blow a coil shock, you're going to be out riding time just like if you blow an evol.

TMSmx47
04-18-2007, 07:31 AM
Best shock I ever used! Hands down!! I used ELKA last year.. What effin garbage they are! Never again! If I went back to spring style it would be AXIS. But for now, Fox has my vote!

honda4life72
04-18-2007, 02:38 PM
Originally posted by patrickj75
Rath Racing sells a wider swaybar tube and torsion bar to run with long travel front shocks. i ran Fox Evols for TT last summer. those shocks are amazing and extremely light. heres a pic of my setup last year. nice...does it cost any more? and what are u running this year? did u have to get them set up for tt or can u do tt and mx both?

patrickj75
04-18-2007, 03:22 PM
the torsion bar and tube sell for $150. same price as the regular bar/tube. this i'm going with PEP shocks and Rath TT a-arms. my quad is built for TT only so it made more sense for me to go that direction.

setup wise with the Evols i just lowered the air pressure to drop the ride height and then adjust copression and rebound according to the track conditions.

hetrick_racing9
04-18-2007, 03:49 PM
elkas arent garbage at all its all how you set them up elkas are harder to set up then fox's yes i agree with that but when both set up they are very close in comparision to handling and everything.. its all about preference and part of it is susperstition due to the fact that most people like it u automatically start liking them.. elkas are good shocks custom axis are too but they can all be looked at as the same its just how well u set it up for yourself.. my elkas are plush and work just as well as fox's because i have rode on fox's before and i dont see any big difference...

ChrisSekerak
04-18-2007, 08:13 PM
i waited probably 5 weeks maybe close to 6 to get the Fox evols.....i think they are awesome....i've had long travel elka's before on a gibson set up, these Fox are a lot better in my opinion.