PDA

View Full Version : My quads turning into a disaster

400exrapes
04-17-2007, 04:45 PM
ever since i broke my stock muffler its gone down from there, i finally got the right jets in my quad but now i have these prblems
1.my battery will shut my quad down if it gets hit with water.
2.I have a good amount of white smoke coming out really choppy sound of my hmf exhaust
3.Ive got oil coming out of the sides of the end of my slip on.

I dontknow really anything about quads any help would be appreciated im going to take it to ashop whenever i get money all i have is 250.00 and no trailer or car with a hitch or room on the inside.

Rip_Tear
04-17-2007, 06:51 PM
Alright, for you batter, check all the wiring out, get some white electrical grease and put it in all the connections and make sure the ground is all clean.

Is there white smoke all the time? You might need new piston, rings etc. But maybe not, white smoke at start up and cold weather is going to happen. But white smoke can me you are burning oil aswell, although it could be from an over oiled air filter.

This makes me thing you need a rebuild though, oil should not be comming out of the slip on...

450rJam
04-17-2007, 06:57 PM
white smoke = burning water/antifreeze

400exrapes
04-17-2007, 07:01 PM
i lost alot of oil out of the previous oil filter when i opened the case and the oil spilled out, i put new oil and new filter in today and tried it after words still white smoke. theres normally no white smoke, my plug was black but was brown a day ago it just got flooded. i dont have white electrical grease. i only have about 200 dollars and im only 14 years old ive had my quad 4 months i dont know how to rebuild ill probably just mess my quad up even more all i have is the owners manual

Ruby Soho
04-17-2007, 07:24 PM
Originally posted by 400exrapes
i lost alot of oil out of the previous oil filter when i opened the case and the oil spilled out, i put new oil and new filter in today and tried it after words still white smoke. theres normally no white smoke, my plug was black but was brown a day ago it just got flooded. i dont have white electrical grease. i only have about 200 dollars and im only 14 years old ive had my quad 4 months i dont know how to rebuild ill probably just mess my quad up even more all i have is the owners manual

buy a clymer manual, and if possible have your old man help you out. its VERY simple. that, or work alittle and save enough $ to bring it to a dealer or shop to do it for you

rcer450r
04-17-2007, 07:26 PM
Did you buy the atv new? If you did it should be covered under waranty with any engine problems. But I would have to agree with Rip_tear, Sounds def. like an engine problem and possible rebuild. Good luck with it and hopefully you find out the problem.

400exrapes
04-17-2007, 07:38 PM

JOEX
04-17-2007, 09:05 PM
What do you mean by opening the case?

400exrapes
04-17-2007, 09:20 PM
the two screws that hold the oil filter in i was stupid and took them off and all the oil in there came out would that change anything?

400exrapes
04-17-2007, 09:28 PM
and also if i were to rebuild the engine whats that gonna change? what parts do i need?

Honda#4
04-17-2007, 09:31 PM
were you doing an oil change? For a rebuild you'll need a piston,rings, and a new head gasket. Then you have to re hone the cylinder.

You can PM me now 400exrapes, sorry my box was full.

miller821
04-17-2007, 09:36 PM
Originally posted by 450rJam
white smoke = burning water/antifreeze

Indeed. It would be more of a blue smoke if you are burning the oil, but it sounds like the oil isn't burning, but instead slipping right in and out of the valves leaving it built up in your pipe.

But if its white, you might have water in your gas, so I would take the tank off and drain the gas; and run some new gas in it and see how it does.

edfrench
04-19-2007, 12:01 PM
dont sweat it my little grasshopper. heres what you do.

1. drain the oil.....
2. drain the gas...
3. clean your carb...
4. change your plug...
5. put oil on your air filter...
6. check all of your connections...
7. put new oil and filter in it......
8. put fresh gas in it...
9. STAY OUT OF THE DAMN WATER. LOL...
10. LET ME KNOW IF THAT WORKS OUT FOR YOU AND IF NOT WELL GO FROM THERE.

Slinky
04-19-2007, 12:20 PM
and also if i were to rebuild the engine whats that gonna change? what parts do i need?
where in NY are you?

400exrapes
04-19-2007, 04:37 PM
im in westchester county about an hour and a half from nyc. what about you your in new york too?

prnstr4life
04-19-2007, 08:05 PM
im in orange county. if i was closer id help. if you want to sell let me know!!

400eXr1d3rZ
04-19-2007, 08:14 PM
Originally posted by Ruby Soho
buy a clymer manual, and if possible have your old man help you out. its VERY simple. that, or work alittle and save enough $ to bring it to a dealer or shop to do it for you

Buying a Clymer manual would help you severly, but not to brag or anything, but I did a top end rebuild on my quad when i was 13 :blah: with a little help though from a friend:p

But now i can do it by myself, just put it this way, do it once and you'll never forget.

hondajoe05
04-19-2007, 08:18 PM

i probably wouldn't suggest tearing down your engine if you don't the answer to these too if you want it back together jus save some money and get it done right would be my advice

400exrapes
04-19-2007, 08:43 PM
yeah thanks for the support i think my pilot jets too big after all the trouble cause my main jets a good size i get white smoke when i rev the quad but it starts and it wouldnt start if the cams were bad and once i cleaned some of the old oil out of my exhaust no more oil came out. I think maybe if i went back to my stock pilot jet and the 150 main cause thats the good main size that i might be good. If my air/fuel mixture was incorrect a few times would my engine lose power for good or will i be able to get all the power back if i just get the right jetting in there cause my plugs black but it wasnt black when i rode it through all gears. and whoever is in orange county PM me sometimes we'll hit up walden race track me and some of my buddies

j450rking
04-19-2007, 09:50 PM
i would just read alot on the forum and do some reserch. but the only way to relly lean is to get your hands dirty

400exrapes
04-20-2007, 05:45 AM
now i dont think anymore oil comes out the back. I think my pilot is probably too big and my plug is black from revving it in idle. Cause i know for sure my main jets the right size. Would too big of a pilot cause white smoke when revving the quad in idle?

400exrider707
04-20-2007, 10:58 AM
now i dont think anymore oil comes out the back. I think my pilot is probably too big and my plug is black from revving it in idle. Cause i know for sure my main jets the right size. Would too big of a pilot cause white smoke when revving the quad in idle?

No white smoke is only antifreeze which you dont have or moisture which might be it. Black smoke is too rich. Your plug is black because it was either burning oil or it is running too rich. If I were you I would take some time and do a lot of searching on this board, there is a wealth of information for the 400ex with pipes and jetting and changing oil and what not... search... read...learn.:cool:

Honda#4
04-20-2007, 11:58 AM
400exrider707 is right! Just read and ask questions about jetting or whatever you need help on. Thats what I did and it really helped me, I pretty much read every jetting thread on here about 400ex carbs and what not. You'll understand alot more than you think by reading threads on here.