PDA

View Full Version : Curtis sparks timing key.

DieselSmoke5000
04-17-2007, 01:43 PM
i'm kinda new here and i've been looking into getting a timing key from curtis sparks. i know it advances it 6 degrees or so. but what major impact does this have i have a basic intake and exhaust setup. and thats kinda where i want to leave it but this sounds interesting. does it have any real negative affects. how much hotter does it run, someone fill me in. yes i have tried searching but didnt find exactly what i was looking for. Thanks in advance

hornetgod13
04-17-2007, 01:53 PM
I installed one myself a couple months ago. I didn't see a huge jump in heat like others claim. I run an oil temperature dip stick and it might 10 to 20 degress hotter. I had already moded my intake and exhaust prior to installing the key. I didn't rejet after the key installation. It wasn't needed. Be certain to order a new left side crank case gasket in advance. You'll need it.

81 clark racing
04-17-2007, 03:05 PM
better low end power, an throttle response

DieselSmoke5000
04-17-2007, 07:41 PM
what was your guys overall opinion of the mod??

how hard was it to install?

power?

hornetgod13
04-17-2007, 09:24 PM
You'll need an impact gun and a few other basic shop tools. The advance timing key provides your quad with snappier throttle responses and a little more low end power. It took me less than 30 mintutes to install. The most time consuming step is cleaning off the old left side crankcase gasket and replacing it with a new one. ORDER A NEW GASKET PRIOR TO INSTALLATION.
Here's a link on step by step instructions.
http://www.atvriders.com/articles/timingkey400ex.html