PDA

View Full Version : 05 450R cam chain stretched during hrc install?

450madman
04-17-2007, 01:31 PM
I did my first HRC install, my dads second, his is an 06 so it was slightly different install than my 05. Anyway, we removed the whole cam chain tensioner assembly because we weren't sure how to release the plunger at first. We installed the HRC cam, stock chain, and my dad reinstalled the tensioner without releasing the plunger (so it was fully extended). The cam chain was super tight. We went by the 06 specs on gapping the decompression arm on accident, so it wouldn't start. I must have kicked it forever without it starting. We figured out the tension problem, gapped the decompression right and got it running, but it hasn't run right since. I've seen fuel in the intake boot, it idles fast with the idle adjusted at minimum adjustment, it falls on it's face off of idle at full throttle. I've been told that my cam and crank are out of time. I have checked five or so times on the timing. The crank and cam marks are slightly off, but if I slip a tooth either way, it is off even futher the opposite direction so it's like 1/2 a tooth off, I think. Anyone have this same problem ?

400exrider707
04-17-2007, 01:42 PM
If you ran it at all with the chain tensioner fully tight, I would most certainly replace the chain, and both chain guides, and the tensioner might be cheap insurance to replace as well. One of my "acquaintances" did this same deal, he ran it an entire race like this. The chain guides melted inside the engine and stuck to the chain. He shut it off after the race, let it cool down... still didn't know the better.... then went to restart it for the second moto. Well the plastic had re-hardened, and essentially made it seem like it was locked up. So he tries to kick it anyways, and snaps the cam chain... IDIOT! So it might not be a bad idea to replace those items!:o

450madman
04-17-2007, 01:51 PM
Thanks for the info. I already purchased a new chain. I am waiting for my 5 broken bones in my foot (including a broken ankle) to heal before I dig into the motor again.

450madman
04-17-2007, 02:54 PM
I never really got it started, but I kicked it over about 25 times.