PDA

View Full Version : Am I Running The Wrong Sprocket?

400grl
10-11-2002, 09:39 AM
Just got my 440 done and running.....it's sweeeeeeeet. BUT....I had originally dropped a tooth up front, kept the stock rear sprocket....still have it set up that way. It's not the wheelie beast I heard it would be with the small sprocket up front - seems good for the MX track (that's what I ride most of the time)........I guess maybe I just expected more power for a 440 kit. Do I need to go back up to stock on the front? I was drag racing a piped and ported Raptor last night as well as a fully piped z400........held even with the Raptor till 4th gear, then it pulled away pretty good......when I was in 5th I kept looking for the next gear and there wasn't one......I never did rev it all the way to the WB limiter, though....i was still gaining speed by the time the race ended. I was way faster than the piped Z the whole time, by the way (total of about 7 races)....although with the Yosh pipe on it it sounds really cool.

OK....I digressed. What is the best sprocket size, front and rear, for MX?? I know dragging is different...so nevermind that part.....I want to get the maximum power benefit from my engine work.......I feel like something is missing....

Corry

2001 EX
WB 440
WB Track Cam
WB CDI
FMF header
WB E-series slip-on
K&N filter/jet kit
RPM +4 Dominator rear
Ricky Stator +3+1 front
Elka's triplerate/rezzies all around
Barnett's Dirt Digger clutch
Hinsen basket
brake lines, tie rods, graphics....blah blah blah

YZROOSTINYA
10-11-2002, 09:47 AM
you should have gotten a revvier cam if you really wanted alot of top end. i feel that the stock gearing is a decent set up. i might change it out back after my 416 and cam install. did you get it ported? what is your compression?

400grl
10-11-2002, 09:50 AM
Yeah....it's ported and polished with an 11:1 compression ratio.....well, might be a little higher...... it was shaved a little, too.

Corry

01_400exrider
10-11-2002, 09:53 AM
what are your jet specs?

400grl
10-11-2002, 10:16 AM
UMMMmmmmm...good question. I didn't install my jets...so I'm not sure. I do know that I'm a little on the rich side, according to the color of my header.......it doesn't misfire or anything....... idles kind of wierd, though.....like it can't decide if it wants to idle high or low or what.....just kind of goes faster and slower on it's own at first. It also runs really hot.....at night my header glows after a fast run for a second.....it's a thin header, though. I may be losing alot of power because i haven't put an oil cooler on yet. It's nice out, and i didn't like the cooler I ordered......fittings were all crappy and I don't want to drill any extra holes in my case.....waiting on a custom cooler right now. That could be some of it.

Corry

spliffy
10-11-2002, 10:32 AM
With A Tooth Dropped In Front , You Should Have Really Good Lowend & A Hurting Topend... I Would Put The Stock One Back On & See How It Reacts.

10-11-2002, 11:00 AM
I"m a MX guy and 15/36 gearing on my 416 is perfecto...;)

400grl
10-11-2002, 12:36 PM
Yeah...I'm gonna dig up my stock one and pop it back on and see what a difference that makes......

crashinmatt
10-11-2002, 07:24 PM
well, if its any help, im runnin a 416 with 15/37 gearing. i either get the holeshot, or am runnin within the top 3, that is if i dont sleep on the gate. but, i start in second gear, then once i get past the gates i shift to 3rd. so im thinkin of tryin a 16 tooth front. my friend told me to start in third, and rev it hard. thats what he does with his r. but im gonna try different gearin. well, i hope i helped with my babbling.