PDA

View Full Version : Gas or Water - which is heavier

svahle
04-17-2007, 07:01 AM
Here is why I ask this question. A few weeks ago we went to Waynoka, OK to ride the dunes. We took a 25 gallon drum of 110 race gas. It rained very hard one night. The next morning we realized the air vent hole on the top of the drum was open. We don't know for sure, but we expect some water did get in the drum. We have let the drum sit thinking that the water and gas would separate (they probably didn't really mix but we thought it should sit a while to be sure).

So, assuming the two are separated, will the water be on the top or the bottom of the drum. Our pump sucks the gas from the bottom but we could suck the gas off the top if needed. We would like to salvage as much of the race gas as possible given that it is $6 a gallon.

Also, what do you think about adding some gas treatment specifically for addressing water in gas.

Thanks for the help.

Eviltanker
04-17-2007, 07:22 AM
I believe water is heavier. You could try the gas treatment but, I don't think you'll need it.

Colby@C&DRacing
04-17-2007, 08:19 AM
Water is heavier and will sit on the bottom of the barrel

svahle
04-17-2007, 09:51 AM
Thanks for the info. This helps alot. Looks like I'll be able to find a way to save some expensive gas.

250r4life
04-17-2007, 02:30 PM
yah... as stated water is heavier...

i know how you feel... i've had a bunch of very expensive gas for the fire over the last two seasons... with different things going out on my 250r, i think i had about 25 gallons of race gas mixed with 2 stroke oil that i have/will use for the fire and thats it...