PDA

View Full Version : Need kelp with shocks and a-arms before i buy

madsteam
04-17-2007, 01:45 AM
I'm having trouble understanding this. Is there two different setups.# 1 long travel shocks with long travel a-arms so it means if i get long travel shocks i cant use them on +2+1 a-arms if the a-arms are not long travel. And vice versu I thought that by buying extended a-arms meant yoou had to go to long travel shocks. Does this just add more travel and bout how much and wut does it do to ride hieght. What im trying to do is widen the front but also lower it some.

JW450R1
04-17-2007, 05:33 AM
If u get long travel shocks the are longer then just regular +2+1 set ups.A lot of people are going with long travel front ends now.
If u go with a good shock there should be ride height adjustment.
The rear shock and linkage makes a huge difference

Colby@C&DRacing
04-17-2007, 08:11 AM
You can widen the front and lower it without buying longtravel. You will just need to tell the person you are buying the stuff from that is what you want to do. Longtravel really is a loosely used term and does not always me you are gaining that much wheel travel.

04TRX400EX
04-17-2007, 07:40 PM
When you say long travel (LT) you are usually talking about a +2 or +3" a-arm that is specifically made for longer shocks - standard travel (ST) shocks are give or take 16-17" in length where LT shocks are around 19". To answer your question, there are both types of aftermarket front ends available and you need to be sure to match the right shock with the correct type of a-arms. Depending on what type of riding you do, you may or may not benefit from LT. As Colby said, some ST kits can yield very similar travel numbers as the more expensive LT kits. Generally you will find LT more on MX quads and ST more on desert/XC quads where width is a factor.

madsteam
04-20-2007, 01:31 PM
Thanks for your guys help in answering my questions. It helped alot.