PDA

View Full Version : How hard can changing a tire be ?

10-25-2001, 01:29 PM
ive been calling around several places for a 4 tire change. there telling me itll cost $120. there all about the same. it must be pure hell to change by hand, i assume. i read about the tire bead breakers and the nice set of irons with the sense that it makes it a snap to do manually. is this true or did i have too much to smoke before i read it ?

JabberJaw
10-25-2001, 02:02 PM
I take mine to Les Schwab for 7.00 each!

liltazz
10-25-2001, 02:20 PM
i work at a garage and change them on the tire machine myself. it is a b#tch to break the beads though. best to leave 5lbs of air is the tire and pop the long bead first. i also tried to put on a tire by hand at my house and it is a pain to set the bead. so find a tire shop that is cheep to do it for you. i wouldnt spend more than 8 dollars a tire.

10-25-2001, 02:29 PM
I had my rear tires changed at a National Tire and Battery, but I went to every place in the area before I found that they were the only ones that would do it... I have heard that you can run the tire over with but if you do take a chance of bending a rim if you don't do it right, by the way, it took the guy at NTB 10 minutes to get the tire off and he does car tires everyday...

CranMan
10-25-2001, 04:39 PM
Pay someone to do it, it's too hard by hand. Just shop around and you might find someone to do it cheap. My local honda shop charges $30 per tire to mount them. K-mart will do it for $8. Shop around!

10-25-2001, 04:51 PM
you guys are getting bad deals. i had both front tires change at a local service station and they charged me 6 bucks a tire and about 2 weeks later i got my both my back tires changed at a local farmers co-op for 4 dollars a tire. i ended up spending an even 20 on the whole deal. but no all service stations are capable of changeing atv tires. it depends on which type of machine they have. usually the stand up type works and more often than not the smaller table mounted machines wont work on the small rims on the ex

Lasher
10-25-2001, 07:27 PM
The only hard part about changing tires is breaking the bead. I tried everything one night with no luck. I even placed a jack on the tire and jacked up the car. No luck. A friend of mine tried to use his bobcat with no luck as well.

I brought my tire to the local Town Fair Tire place and they broke the bead for free. I brought two tires into them and asked how much. Since I went during the middle of the day on a work week, they were doing nothing anyways. The guy took the rims/tires into the back and 5 minutes later came out with the bead broken. Which is all I wanted.

When I got home, I took the tire off the rim and places the new ones on. All this using a large screw driver and handle from a jack. If you use a lot of WD40 or soap and water (I prefer WD40 since it does not hang around after mounting). I used to work on a stock car and learned how to do it from guys at the track. They could change a tire faster than the machine.

When placing the bead back on the tire there are a few things you could do to make life a lot easier. First is go to the auto store and get a valve core remover. It is about $3. When you get home, take the valve core out of the valve stem. Next take a tie down strap and wrap it around the middle of the tire. Pull it tight so the tire is really flattened. Next fill the tire with air. With the valve core removed you were able to flatten the tire quite a bit, so when the air comes into the tire it will push against the strap and force the sidewalls out. Also lube the bead up real good with WD40 to help it slip on.

Changing tires, especially atv tires is not that hard. At least for me. If you do go to a dealer, make sure they have the equipment to handle the smaller rims. Otherwise they will destroy the rims in a second.

You guys have any questions let me know.

Lil90man!!
10-26-2001, 04:41 AM
OK you guys are all nutz!!!! we have a bead breaker we made ourselves and will pop a bead on ANY tire including 6 ply 27 inch vampires(found that out last weekend!) but all it is is a base a tall metal arm welded to the base and a long arm conected to the tower with a bolt and there are alot of holes to adjust the height then on the end of the arm is a sharp cuved peice of metal to contour to the rim put a tire on that take out the valve core and push POP set of tire tools we changed a 4x4 ranchers tires last weekend from stock to 27 inch vampires in less than 45 mins and we had to take the front ones clear back off!!!!

10-27-2001, 01:43 PM
I got a tire changer at one of those traveling tool sales for $20, and just hade to make a couple nylon pucks to fit the larger hole in Douglas wheels,and welded a piece of 2x2 tubing to the bottom so I can use it in a receiver hitch. I can dismount/mount tires in a couple minutes. The same thing can be found here http://www.northerntool.com/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/ProductDisplay?prrfnbr=13610&prmenbr=6970
although they want $38 for it, it would pay for itself in no time flat!!

AMJ

trx400ex
10-27-2001, 10:18 PM
the way they put the tires on the rims in antartica, is they get the rim inside the tires press it down, spray aresol ligther fliud on the rim th e stand back spray again and hold up a lighter,,,dangerous, but so is getting stuck out in the snow without an igloo

Lil90man!!
10-28-2001, 05:20 PM
haha our neighbor uses ether or however u spell it and a match BOOM on the bead!!

99'300EX
10-28-2001, 07:13 PM
just call around and go to ur local tire and car repair shops, i go to export tire and get it dont for about $5 a tire

400exRacerX
10-28-2001, 07:37 PM
Hey FLETCH did you ever get those tires mounted on your beadlocks successfully?

11-01-2001, 06:40 AM
yes i did. theyre beautiful. thanks for the info

11-01-2001, 06:50 AM
i wish i bought 8" rims though

JabberJaw
11-01-2001, 07:18 AM
Originally posted by Lil90man!!
haha our neighbor uses ether or however u spell it and a match BOOM on the bead!!

My Tires are now mounted.....however, could you hand me my arms!

quadfamily
12-13-2001, 10:48 PM
you may bend the threaded rod. that's what happened to mine. I have the same one in the picture. I also had to grind the edge that presses on the tire so that it slid between the tire and the rim better. This part keeps sliding out from between the tire and rim. The tires I changed with this tool are the ones on my sons TRX90. They were the original rear tires and man were they stuck on the rims!

Stunz
12-21-2001, 05:59 AM
Well I spent a few hours with this new bead breaker, from Northern (see picture posted above), last night and it's a peice of JUNK.

I think it will work great on my lawn tractor or snow blower, but no way was it going to break the bead on my atv tires.

Go with the NAC's or JL's version. You get what you pay for.

01ytrx400ex
12-21-2001, 07:22 AM
Fletch, Next time think about going to Drukers Yamaha in Flemington, NJ they charge $10.00 per tire. Not the best deal I'm sure but the best I have seen around here.

thejeepdude
05-06-2003, 09:37 AM
All this talk about breaking the bead being the hardest part... I have yet to change my tires, but will be doing so in the next couple of weeks. If the bead end up being a pain to break, why can't i just slice the sidewall with a blade, get at the bead with some heavy duty dykes/wire cutters, cut the bead, and pull the tire off with relative ease? Is that easier said than done? It doesn't sound like it's too much of a problem getting the new tire on as long as it's lubed well, and I've got experience hand-seating tires on my Jeep (the ratchet strap around the tire methed works good), so as long as the old tires are toast, why not cut them off if the bead can't be broken?

bigbadbrad
05-06-2003, 12:06 PM
next year i will be changing my tires for free, with tire changing machines.
I am taking an automotives class during school at the technology center.

Paul400ex2002
05-06-2003, 01:04 PM
yea i just use my schools tire changer whenever i want for free :blah takes me like 20 minutes to take old tires off and put new ones on... only problem is the good machine that makes changing truck tires a breeze... the 8 and 9 inch quad rims are too small to fit on it... but the older machine works great, and it's a snap to get the beads broken.

250EXking
05-06-2003, 02:21 PM
i take mine to the local tire dealer and they do it for like 6.00dollars a tire

brif
05-06-2003, 08:07 PM
My local dealer charges $5 a tire. He uses a beadbreaker like the Nacs one. It's funny, he said he has people bring in tires that people have tried to get off and couldn't. One tried to burn the tire off, one tried to cut it off and several have damaged the rim so bad that it had to be replaced. lol :)

Stunz
05-07-2003, 01:23 AM
Originally posted by thejeepdude
All this talk... just slice the sidewall with a blade, get at the bead with some heavy duty dykes/wire cutters, cut the bead, and pull the tire off with relative ease?

That's how I got my front tires off.

dirtmomma
05-07-2003, 04:12 AM
Originally posted by thejeepdude
All this talk about breaking the bead being the hardest part... I have yet to change my tires, but will be doing so in the next couple of weeks. If the bead end up being a pain to break, why can't i just slice the sidewall with a blade, get at the bead with some heavy duty dykes/wire cutters, cut the bead, and pull the tire off with relative ease? Is that easier said than done? It doesn't sound like it's too much of a problem getting the new tire on as long as it's lubed well, and I've got experience hand-seating tires on my Jeep (the ratchet strap around the tire methed works good), so as long as the old tires are toast, why not cut them off if the bead can't be broken?

YES it is easier said than done just wait till you go to cut
the bead!!!! It's much much harder than you think!!!! Yes it can be done but what a pain in the butt, we did this w/ our blaster. We picked up a tire machine @ Harbor Frieght Tools for $38 & it was the best investment we made, the 1st time we used it it took us forever but now we have the hang of it after using it a few times & it only takes about a 1/2 hour to hour to do all four!!! When we set our bead we use a strap around the tire real tight then air it up it usually works good, if it doesn't then I just run it to the tire store to have them seat it!!! Good luck!!

JabberJaw
06-02-2003, 08:02 AM
Originally posted by Lil90man!!
OK you guys are all nutz!!!!

What? You just figure this out???? Guess we know what that makes you! :-)

JHF219
06-02-2003, 08:27 AM
good lord this thread is from 1980 something why bring it up now ?!

Stunz
06-02-2003, 08:31 AM
It's almost as old as me!

06-02-2003, 08:36 AM
i leave the tire at abut 2.5 psi & run it over with my truck making sure not to hit the rim & it pops it right off.

QuadTrix6
06-02-2003, 12:06 PM
the member who started it, is deleted from the site this thread must be old :scary: :scary: :scary: