PDA

View Full Version : More traction 18" or 20"

banshee84
04-16-2007, 02:40 PM
Will an 18" tire or a 20" tire get better traction? I am guessing the 20 will because it won't spin as fast but an 18" is suppose to increase accel over a 20"

esr250r86
04-16-2007, 03:32 PM
Just depends on what type of tire you have and what conditions your riding on.

Blue250X
04-16-2007, 05:13 PM
Heres how I think it would go. The 20 inch tire would get more traction because of it being taller and making the engine work a little harder. Kind of like starting in first or second. Starting in first will spin very easy and top out slower. Starting in 2nd will give u more traction because it will be harder to spin and top out faster.

banshee84
04-16-2007, 06:03 PM
Originally posted by esr250r86
Just depends on what type of tire you have and what conditions your riding on.
obviously the same tires just different sizes.

Also I am not concerned with starts just coming out of flattrack like corners. The track is very very hard the dirt even shines in some placec

csr250r
04-16-2007, 06:38 PM
Alot of flattrack ppl use 18" i dont think that it will matter too much but i still think that the 18" will get you out of a corner faster because if the 18s cant hook up chances are the 20s cant hook up either.

banshee84
04-16-2007, 08:14 PM
I don't get the traction I need even with a -2" swingarm cause the track isn't watered. I think I just might try a 19"

eganracing
04-17-2007, 09:32 PM
im guessing your looking for somethin that will hook at hollisters track?

what kind of tire r u planning on running? cause if u really want some traction im gonna say the holeshot sx is the way to go. just a little pricey though.

northwest Texas
04-17-2007, 09:36 PM
To answer your question, a taller tire will have more contact area theoretically resulting in more traction. It will alos result in a lighter footprint. All of that is irrelevent for tires that small but when you move up much larger i.e. tractor tires that makes a difference.

banshee84
04-17-2007, 10:08 PM
Originally posted by eganracing
im guessing your looking for somethin that will hook at hollisters track?

what kind of tire r u planning on running? cause if u really want some traction im gonna say the holeshot sx is the way to go. just a little pricey though.

yeah that track is f'in slick right now and they never water it. Most of the trails are pretty slick also. It is like marbles on ice. I will look into those tires. Thanks

eganracing
04-17-2007, 11:03 PM
those holeshots probaly wont wear well though. but if i was u i would steer clear of the maxxis mx razrs. those things had absolutly no traction on that track. i was sliding everywhere. and your right about the trails, there a little bit more challenging when your trying to keep from sliding off the edge(especially on petes path).

do u know y they decided to stop watering it?

also we need to meet up one of these weekends and go for a ride.

banshee84
04-18-2007, 09:46 PM
Originally posted by eganracing
those holeshots probaly wont wear well though. but if i was u i would steer clear of the maxxis mx razrs. those things had absolutly no traction on that track. i was sliding everywhere. and your right about the trails, there a little bit more challenging when your trying to keep from sliding off the edge(especially on petes path).

do u know y they decided to stop watering it?

also we need to meet up one of these weekends and go for a ride.

cause they spent all the money fixing the dirtbike track and cater to all the dirtbikers. They should have never of taken the berms out.

Yeah we will have to meet up I go like every week.

project400ex19
04-19-2007, 09:40 AM
well a 18 would be better for flat tracking because it has smaller sidewalls which equals less tire roll= more traction. and will spin quicker which you want torq for pulling out of corners. just my .02