PDA

View Full Version : Couple of Dumb Questions

u_want_some
04-16-2007, 11:24 AM
Alright call me stupid if you would like........I have a 86 TRX 250R motor and I am trying to take off the center clutch nut (the one inside of the clutch basket) and the bolt the attaches the primary drive gear to the crankshaft. How do I keep the gears still while trying to remove the 2 bolts/nuts? Is there any secret to doing this....And yes this is my first time rebuilding a 250R motor, so any other advise would be greatful, Thanks in advance

jonboy
04-16-2007, 12:37 PM
My only advice to you is to get a manule(sp)

u_want_some
04-16-2007, 01:22 PM
What do you think that I would take apart a 250R motor without a manual? LMAO!!!! I have a manual and if you can tell me where to find a gear holder tool then you'll be a friend for life, and where in the manual does it say how to pull the bolt out of the primary drive gear?

Other question: Can you use an Air Impact to remove these 2/bolt/nuts?

koh0001
04-16-2007, 08:27 PM
Center clutch nut. If you still have the motor in the bike with the chain still on, you can use a long extention and put through the holes in the rear sprocket and let it bind up with the swingarm. use a impact it will spin right off.

Dave83
04-16-2007, 09:28 PM
You can take an old clutch fiber diber disc and weld a handle to on of the ears that slide into the basket and hold it like this.I always stick a penny in the drive gears and use an impact to get the nut and bolt out.Did it last night as matter of fact.

matt250r21
04-16-2007, 09:29 PM
Here is what I do, for the clutch nut, take an old steel clutch plate and an old fiber clutch plate. Drill like 3 holes through them and lock them together with nuts and bolts. You just made a cheap clutch basket holder tool. You will have to put the clutch plates in the motor before you drilll them to get them lined up. Now take an aluminum washer and use it to jam the clutch large gear and primary gear up. You can now remove both the clutch nut and primary gear bolt with hand tools. Some people will say that useing a washer to jam up the gears is not a good idea because it puts force on the ball bearings. I have yet to have a problem with this method, been doing it like this for 10 + yrs.

D Bergstrom
04-16-2007, 09:36 PM
Originally posted by u_want_some
What do you think that I would take apart a 250R motor without a manual? LMAO!!!! I have a manual and if you can tell me where to find a gear holder tool then you'll be a friend for life, and where in the manual does it say how to pull the bolt out of the primary drive gear?

Other question: Can you use an Air Impact to remove these 2/bolt/nuts?

Yes, I use a air impact all the time. Works great. No impact? If you do not have the "gear holder tool", use a penny and wedge it in the gears. Done that before to, but it usually bends the penny, so it will cost you one cent.:D The washer that matt250r21 suggested will work also.

Doug

u_want_some
04-17-2007, 07:01 AM
Thanks for all your help...I was just thinking that an air impact would strip something on the inside, but guess not since all you have done it that way before! The motor has been taken off of the quad already and I have removed the C. Cover.....Is there anything else that I should be careful of when removing these 2 bolts? Thanks again for the help

CorvetteZ06
04-17-2007, 08:42 AM
i have used air impact wrench many times, works like a charm.

250r4life
04-17-2007, 10:53 AM
air impact wrench is what i have always used...

u_want_some
04-17-2007, 12:09 PM
Alright I took it to my local Auto shop and they were able to pull those bolts for me within a couple of sec. WOW!!! I need one of those myself!! Thanks for all you guys help..And while I am here can anyone tell me if they have an extra 250R counterbalancer? Thanks again

86 Quad R
04-17-2007, 12:28 PM
do a search onCDB Motorsports (http://**************.com/storefront/contact_us.php?osCsid=384a8b669e36921b953872078ad9 dcd3)

he has new and used parts for most all sport quads