PDA

View Full Version : Works Black Widows for Outlaw?

ScramblerXLE
04-16-2007, 07:27 AM
hey guys,

I just ran my first hair scrambler this weekend and it was a blast! in a racing setting, however against guys with all sorts of mods to suspension and motor, I gave up a little in the suspension dept. with the stock RYDE FX's. Was wonderring if anyone has tried Black Widows for the Outlaw, and if so, how did they perform? i wasthinking elkas, but the Widows seem just as good and just as adjustable, and lots of Elka guys have had to send their shocks backto be revalved... i don't want to mess w/ that... anyway, any information would be helpful. I'm looking for a really nice XC ride and weigh about 205. Thanks!

GE4x4
04-16-2007, 07:37 AM
I know Outlawbill (calds650) has them on his 525, so mayby ask him. Other then him, I don't know anyone else. I also would not go Elka. Heard from a very reliable source that Baker hates his Elkas, and I'm sure it wasn't any different when Smiley had them.

katch26
04-16-2007, 07:46 AM
its all about the valving. Elkas sucks from the factory, the rub is you have to have them revalved by a reputable shock builder to really notice the benefits. I'm pretty sure if you buy them from GT thunder he does the valving on them for you.....

TYLER329
04-16-2007, 07:50 AM
Outlaw shocks are hard to come by. Every company out there is scared to tackle something new. Fox will have floats and evols ready in about 6 weeks for customers. Elka says they are not working on anything but there own Bryan Baker is racing on elkas. Custom axis has shocks they "can" build you but they caution you that it is the same setup that Steph Parton is running which I guess is a really odd setup. One of the big problems is the rear shock mounting on the a-arm. It uses a totally different setup that requires companys to cut off the end of the shock and weld on a new end. Your best bet is to wait for the Fox floats or evols, take 06 Outlaw shocks and have them revalved to your weight, or John Gallagher is working on a kit to rebuild the Ryde FX shocks that I guess works really well and is very cost effective.

OutlawBill
04-16-2007, 08:50 AM
http://members.cox.net/bills500/525moon.jpg
I first had them on my 500 but transferred them too my 525 fronts work great but I will have to have the rear re-work I have gone to a different off set on the wheel to make the rear wider. the effect is like going to a +2 a-arms and I need to get the rears re done compressing is ok for me but my rebound is at full soft(fastest rebound)

eerhard09
04-16-2007, 09:11 AM
About a week or so ago, I received e-mails from Elka and from Fox saying that Elka will have something out for the Outlaw in a couple weeks and that Fox currently has the Floats available for the Outlaw.

Another option (MUCH CHEAPER!) is that GT Thunder rebuilds the RYDE FX shocks and it includes new valving, new springs, and a different shaft (allowing more travel). He will do all four shocks for $740.