PDA

View Full Version : Mouting Tires

ShiftFMX
04-16-2007, 05:50 AM
Who mounts their own without Fancy tools?? I ordered some Klaws for the 450 and need to know if its easy enough to do it myself or worth it to pay to have it done.

400exrider707
04-16-2007, 06:07 AM
Originally posted by ShiftFMX
Who mounts their own without Fancy tools?? I ordered some Klaws for the 450 and need to know if its easy enough to do it myself or worth it to pay to have it done.

Are you dismounting too? That is the real pain, but a truck a friend and a 2x4 do the trick. Mounting is simple. I still use tire irons, but screwdrivers will work, and lots of lube, and of course your own air tank.

ShiftFMX
04-16-2007, 06:20 AM
Yeah, I'm dismounting them too, its the stock whels btw

d3ktrix
04-16-2007, 08:07 AM
Ugh dismounting the stock tires is murder.

I had to take 2 stock rear tires off stock rims a few days ago to prep them for my paddle tires coming in.

First we tried the truck and board method, no go, couldn't get the board to stay on the tire good enough to pull the bead down. Would just slide off the side.

Then we borrowed a bead breaker from a friend. It was still a pain but after 20min we managed to break ONE of the 4 beads with it. lol

The rest of them I just used a sawsall and cut all of the rubber off all around the rim and then used a pair of dikes to cut the metal bead. And that was not fun!
2 of the 3 I did like this took about 20min each, the 3rd one took almost 2 hours with 3 people taking turns trying to cut the braided steel bead. lol

I have taken full size truck tires off the rim easier. Stock tires and kendas are HORRIBLE to get off the rim.
MXR Holeshots are pretty easy though, they normally pop right off using the truck/board method.

I'll never try to dismount another tire as long as I live, easier to pay the 10-20bux to have some dismount and remount them for you. The time I spent just getting those 2 tires off the rims I could of bought a brand new tire/wheel setup from rockymoutain. lol