PDA

View Full Version : A LOT of hours on engine, what should I do?

Flyin-Low
04-15-2007, 08:46 PM
Well, my trail tech is reading about 80 hours and I've ridden a ton before I got it and have now been riding for a while without it on.. So I'm guesstimating about 120 hours on it....

It doesn't burn oil, just a bit when I first start it up. The engine is loud, but it has always been that way. Little tick in the valves but they were just adjusted maybe 10 hours back on it.

Is there anything I should do to avoid something catastrophic happening to the engine? should I replace the piston/rings even though it doesn't burn oil? Replace anything else?

How often does the coolant need to be changed?

It's also had very regular oil / filter changes and regular air filter cleaning.

I'm just a bit nervous because of all the hours.. (and honda's insane 15 hour piston/ring change recommendation)

-Martin

d3ktrix
04-15-2007, 09:04 PM
Sounds like you've been doing everything right.

100 hours on a piston isn't insane if you don't race.
Many people have claimed much more with less maintenance then you have been doing.

I'm sure my bike has more then 100 hours on it and it's still running like the day I got it.

If u actually need new rings/jug at 100 hours I'd say you had a premature failure :P

A coolant change might not be a bad idea tho, and maybe a fresh air filter.

Nothing catastrophic will happen as long as you keep up with the oil, filters and valves.

Also u said it burns a little oil on start up?
Just a puff of dark smoke? Could just be running rich with the coke on.
Rich mixture can cause that.

Flyin-Low
04-15-2007, 09:13 PM
Hmm, I'm a lot less worried now :D

Thanks.

But yeah, it burns a touch of oil when I first fire it up in the morning. But it has to be sitting for a long time to do so.

My 400ex does the same thing, but a bit worse.

I want to replace my air filter with a pro design ring and maybe a UNI filter... I went to get a Twin Air a bit ago but all I could get was the size of an 05/04... Does UNI make the same size as 06?

-Martin

JW450R1
04-16-2007, 05:54 AM
Keep up on the oil changes with good filters,oil,and clean the air filter a lot.Coolant change wouldn't be a bad idea either.

roundsy
04-16-2007, 06:18 AM
the 06 uni filter is the same size as the 06 stock, thats the filter i'm running and it works awesome