PDA

View Full Version : very dirty!!

gilliam2364
04-15-2007, 07:47 PM
i dont run with my air box lid on, and om my last few rides this is what my air box has looked like. granted it has been wet around here for a while. even my intake has dirt in it. is this common? in case it is important i use a k&n air filter.

http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t283/gilliam2364/dirtyairbox002.jpg

450rJam
04-15-2007, 07:54 PM
you may want to think about one of the esr lids.

gilliam2364
04-15-2007, 07:55 PM
what is an esr lid?

zrpilot
04-15-2007, 08:11 PM
I think he is referring to the EHS lid. Do you run your 400EX through deep water?

Anyhow an EHS lid would help. I'd also NOT run the K&N, rather a UNI, or other foam air cleaner.

zrpilot
04-15-2007, 08:17 PM
Here is a picture of my EHS racing lid

Honda#4
04-15-2007, 08:19 PM
You might want to pull off your air box drain tube under the box so the water can drain out of there.

2004exrider
04-15-2007, 08:21 PM
For the little bit of power difference i'd just keep the lid on, imagine the dirt and sand getting in your cylider leaving scratches its not gonna last to long.

Jimmy

underpowered
04-15-2007, 08:33 PM
Originally posted by 2004exrider
For the little bit of power difference i'd just keep the lid on, imagine the dirt and sand getting in your cylider leaving scratches its not gonna last to long.

Jimmy

sometimes that is not really an option. my bike plain will not run with the lid on, it needs to much air than what it can take in through the snorkle. i could not get my bike jetted right with the lid on.

there is no real problem with running no lid if you properly maintain your filter. i run no lid, and ride in alot of water with my K&N just clean it as often as possible, i clean mine every other ride, sometimes every ride. and IMHO a K&N is just as good as an uni, but needs to be cleaned more often.

gilliam2364
04-16-2007, 04:14 AM
alright i appreciate all the help, i think ill get one of those lids. and i dont run through deep water, that was just from puddles, and i did drain the lid right after that pic. thanks again.

d3ktrix
04-16-2007, 09:00 AM
This is just a guess, but seenig as your quad is clean in the picture and the inside of the airbox is a swamp.

Did you clean/hose the quad down with the lip open?
Maybe the airbox was just sandy inside then you spayed water in there w/o knowing it and made it muddy in there?

Or was it like that before u cleaned the quad?

The reason I'm thinking that is cuz my box doesn't get any water in it w/o the lid.
But maybe ur puddle skipping is more extreme then mine :P

sc400ex_rider
04-16-2007, 09:08 AM
LOL that is one swamped out airbox .....dude you need to clean your airbox!!!!!!!! that is very bad if you get water in your engine it will hydralic and bend your rod. if your going to mud bog you should put the lid back on. i drilled a 3" hole in my lid and ride in deep water with no probs (not haulin asses)

rooster300ex
04-16-2007, 10:45 AM
Me and a buddy made this lid ourselves. I bought an outerwears airbox cover, and used the matierial to make it. Before i did the lid it sure helped keep my airbox and filter alot cleaner. That might be a wise thing for ya to do.

http://www.putfile.com/pic.php?img=4957346

gilliam2364
04-16-2007, 02:39 PM
i am going to have to get one of the couple types of lids. i appreciate all the help

DAVE14
04-17-2007, 03:28 PM
I put my lid back on for spring & wet crappy conditions i had to jet it down a bit & I hate the performance loss , but its good to have a nice clean box no engine damage & reliabilty I put my lid back on in the winter I was getting too rowdy in the snow & fill up the box till it was smothered & died pulled the seat off & looked at the box & it was full of snow I usually pull the lid off in the summer when its clean decent riding

mojavedude
04-17-2007, 04:20 PM
heres my air box lid on my kfx400. mine didnt come with the stock lid so i made a hole new one. it doesnt seal as well but its fine. its made of masonite, the stuff they make clip boards out of. it was free to make and im pretty broke so... any way its painted silver on the bottem piece and "grabber green" for the top. 4 nuts and bolts, 1 layer of foam filter material for air vents in houses and 1 piece of screen like from a window. didnt use it yet but its going to keep the big chunks out and keep it kinda clean. im also using a k&n with outerwears but im switching to a uni soon.

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a244/mojavedude250/kfx/munkluie001.jpg

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a244/mojavedude250/kfx/munkluie002.jpg