PDA

View Full Version : 1 more truck

Kickstarts-suck
04-15-2007, 06:47 PM
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1987-FORD-F150-4X4-NO-RESERVE-CLASSIC-F-150_W0QQitemZ290105215261QQihZ019QQcategoryZ6219QQ ssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Dont know much about the 6cyl motors. Can I get any parts for them? Any performance parts?

are they a V6 or straight 6? are these 6 cyls 300ci motors?

I would rather have a v8 but this one is a pretty good price.

Stevie-D
04-15-2007, 06:51 PM
definately decent motors. its a 300 inline 6 cylinder motor. makes some surprising power for a 6 cylinder.

firefighterjosh
04-15-2007, 06:52 PM
If I can remember right those are strait 6 engines.

I never owned 1 but have only heard good things about them. With a engine like that I don't belive there is any engine mods avaliable...but parts should be easy to find

Blue250X
04-15-2007, 06:54 PM
I don't know if this is right but I was reading somewhere the 300 I6 makes as much torque as the 302 V8. Thats just what I read, but I know in jegs you can get an intake, cam, and 4 barrell carb and it is said to give it 150 horse

Kickstarts-suck
04-15-2007, 06:56 PM
My dad had a 89 F150 with the 6 cly 4x4 reg cab short bed but he couldn't remember if it was a straight 6.

Those Straight 6s give more torque then V6s don't they?

Stevie-D
04-15-2007, 07:58 PM
carb or fuel injected, depending on the year. the 87 should be FI.

Kickstarts-suck
04-15-2007, 08:11 PM
Originally posted by Stevie-D
carb or fuel injected, depending on the year. the 87 should be FI.

yea Im almost positive they are FI.

LathersR
04-15-2007, 08:11 PM
Ya it's an FI.. I'd go with a chevy 1500 or 2500..

Kickstarts-suck
04-15-2007, 08:16 PM
Originally posted by LathersR
Ya it's an FI.. I'd go with a chevy 1500 or 2500..

Im not a fan of chevys.

troutman561
04-15-2007, 08:18 PM
Yea those I6's are pretty tough... That is the one motor I respect from ford.. You cant kill the things. My friend has one in his f-150(I forget the year) and he takes horrible care of his vehicles,doesn't change oil on time, etc. But is has over 250,000 miles and still runs fairly strong, im impressed, tho the tranny has always been a problem for it...

troutman561
04-15-2007, 08:20 PM
Originally posted by Kickstarts-suck
Im not a fan of chevys.

:p :p JK lets not start are chevy vs ford war.

Lol thats funny, I have never seen that before.. made me laugh:D

hardkoratvmxr
04-15-2007, 08:21 PM
yes it is a stragiht 6 but the automatic versions blow big time. if you have a choice get one with a manual. i personally had a manual and my buddy had an automatic and there was no comparison in available power

underpowered
04-15-2007, 08:25 PM
i am not a ford fan, but those old straight 6 300 motors are indestructable. they give decent power for a 6, actualy can sound good with an exhaust (usually a 6 NEVER sounds good with an exhaust, no matter what people say.) they run good, and will live through many miles. not a bad lookin truck.

but i like older chevy's better than older fords. if i were you, i would atleast look at some of teh older chevy's.

BTW, i would rather be a bowtie wearin ***** than Found On Road Dead in my FORD. j/k but i am a chevy fan http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v690/redneck409/boti.gif

Kickstarts-suck
04-15-2007, 08:39 PM
Originally posted by underpowered
i am not a ford fan, but those old straight 6 300 motors are indestructable. they give decent power for a 6, actualy can sound good with an exhaust (usually a 6 NEVER sounds good with an exhaust, no matter what people say.) they run good, and will live through many miles. not a bad lookin truck.

but i like older chevy's better than older fords. if i were you, i would atleast look at some of teh older chevy's.

BTW, i would rather be a bowtie wearin ***** than Found On Road Dead in my FORD. j/k but i am a chevy fan http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v690/redneck409/boti.gif

I have looked at the older chevys and I just don't like the looks. My dad had always had fords and ive grown to like them. Im trying to find headers or air intake and just cant find anything. We are thinking about going to Orlando for spring break and the truck is pretty close to Orlando so hopefully my dad will let me get it :)

Seems kinda odd having 73,642 miles though. Only thing I really don't know about about is the miles and tires. Also it looks like it has manual locking hubs and the right side is missing. It also hasn't been inspected by a mechanic so I have no idea how it runs and if everything works.

trick450r
04-15-2007, 08:52 PM
Originally posted by underpowered

i agree on the older chevy thing, a much better choice if you ask me...and i drive a powerstroke lol...oh btw, you have fun in your slightly lifted monte carlo framed truck, and enjoy those torsion bars my friend...lol

Rich250RRacer
04-15-2007, 09:22 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by underpowered
[B] 300 motors are indestructable.

Not really, they have a serious problem cracking heads.

LathersR
04-15-2007, 09:32 PM
if it's the 4.9 v6 they used to have alot of problems idleing after being ran for awhile.. usually idle's really high and then really low almost to where it wants to stahl.

stalefish_132
04-15-2007, 09:42 PM
Originally posted by trick450r
i agree on the older chevy thing, a much better choice if you ask me...and i drive a powerstroke lol...oh btw, you have fun in your slightly lifted monte carlo framed truck, and enjoy those torsion bars my friend...lol

i would much rather have torsion bars then fords old twin traction bars, wear the front tires out because such bad negitive camber and positive camber.

heres a good video of the new ford power jokes, as of right now there are no 6.4 diesel's being made because of such a bad injector issue. this is one of the effects...

6.4 powerjoke (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=321LwkM7i90)

i do favor GM's because i havd worked on fords, dodges and GM's and i would take a GM any day of the week.

Kickstarts-suck
04-15-2007, 09:47 PM
Originally posted by stalefish_132
i would much rather have torsion bars then fords old twin traction bars, wear the front tires out because such bad negitive camber and positive camber.

heres a good video of the new ford power jokes, as of right now there are no 6.4 diesel's being made because of such a bad injector issue. this is one of the effects...

i do favor GM's because i havd worked on fords, dodges and GM's and i would take a GM any day of the week.

Didn't I say I didn't want a Ford vs Chevy fight??? Thats all you do is down fords.

I didnt ask which is better ford or chevy so if your not giving me info on the truck I posted please go away.

LathersR
04-15-2007, 09:52 PM
if they come out with there concept in a decade or whatever.. ill admit it would be pretty bad ***... but the concept's never come out until years and years later..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BjrYEQhqHjU&NR=1

firefighterjosh
04-15-2007, 09:55 PM
if they come out with there concept in a decade or whatever.. ill admit it would be pretty bad ***... but the concept's never come out until years and years later..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BjrYEQhqHjU&NR=1
:ermm: That thing is ugggggllllllyyyyyyy:scary:

LathersR
04-15-2007, 09:58 PM
then you won't like any of the chevy, dodge, or ford concepts coming in a decade or two.. it's what there all going to look like.. slim windows, ling, smooth front end's with hidden headlights and all the cars will probably have electric motor's getting anywhere from 100 - 150 m.p.g.

firefighterjosh
04-15-2007, 10:00 PM
then you won't like any of the chevy, dodge, or ford concepts coming in a decade or two.. it's what there all going to look like.. slim windows, ling, smooth front end's with hidden headlights and all the cars will probably have electric motor's getting anywhere from 100 - 150 m.p.g.

Ya your right I already do not like the newer styles. The super dutys are starting to grow on me but IMO the new chevys Are horrible, Guess I am just not a new style kinda guy.

Titanium
04-15-2007, 10:07 PM
well i have a truck similar to this. Same motor. i have a extend cab and mines 3 years new. the motor is great for torque. but if you get one thats and automatic and you dont wanna spend money on a new transmission make sure its not an E4OD tranny they are poo. Every person i kno including myself has lost 2nd and 3rd gear eventually ranging between 120,00 to 160,000 miles. But if you do get one with an E4OD tranny and it does go out dont waste your money on rebuilding it like i did look for the other tranny i cant remember the code for it but if you look around you'll find it. Other wise these engines sound very good for a 6 when straight piped right off the catylic converter IMO. Welld up a piece of tail pipe from the cat and run it out the side and it'll sound great! Other performance mods are pretty slim i've heard of ppl puting cams in them like previously stated and i've heard of ppl getting a header for them. You might be able to get a chip for it im not sure. I also looked around the internet one day and found a guy who fabbed up a bunch of parts for his his inline 6. Search "Boss 300" in google and you can probably find it.

Kickstarts-suck
04-15-2007, 10:12 PM
Originally posted by Titanium
well i have a truck similar to this. Same motor. i have a extend cab and mines 3 years new. the motor is great for torque. but if you get one thats and automatic and you dont wanna spend money on a new transmission make sure its not an E4OD tranny they are poo. Every person i kno including myself has lost 2nd and 3rd gear eventually ranging between 120,00 to 160,000 miles. But if you do get one with an E4OD tranny and it does go out dont waste your money on rebuilding it like i did look for the other tranny i cant remember the code for it but if you look around you'll find it. Other wise these engines sound very good for a 6 when straight piped right off the catylic converter IMO. Welld up a piece of tail pipe from the cat and run it out the side and it'll sound great! Other performance mods are pretty slim i've heard of ppl puting cams in them like previously stated and i've heard of ppl getting a header for them. You might be able to get a chip for it im not sure. I also looked around the internet one day and found a guy who fabbed up a bunch of parts for his his inline 6. Search "Boss 300" in google and you can probably find it.

ok thanks big help. If i do get the 6 cyl it will be a manual transmission. I would at least like to get headers and exhaust like you said. Ill search boss 300 now.

EDIT: couldn't find anything but Polaris trail boss in the search

Titanium
04-15-2007, 10:18 PM
Originally posted by Kickstarts-suck
ok thanks big help. If i do get the 6 cyl it will be a manual transmission. I would at least like to get headers and exhaust like you said. Ill search boss 300 now.

EDIT: couldn't find anything but Polaris trail boss in the search

Thats surprising. I'll look around and try to find it. The truck is Green with a beige stripe on the bottom 1/3 of the pick up on the side. The truck has a manual tranny in it and its got a possi rear end in it and im not sure but i think he might have had a supercharger or sumthin in it with a sweet exhaust system i think it was straigh piped with a 5 inch stainless steal tip out the side.

Smokin 440
04-15-2007, 11:16 PM
Originally posted by stalefish_132

Just an FYI, That is A TTB; Torsion bars didn't make on the F-150s and F-250 LDs until 97...

Mxjunkie
04-16-2007, 05:12 AM
The ford stright 6 sound's like a tractor with stright pipe :p

54warrior
04-16-2007, 06:56 AM
The 300-6 is probably one of the top 10 best motors EVER produced by ANY manufacturer.

It is just a tough motor. Very reliable. Someone also made mention that it makes as much torque as a 302 V8 which is a correct statement. These things will lug like nothing else. Make sure you get a stick and not an auto like the others have suggested.

If it has manual hubs, consider that a blessing. The stock auto locking hubs were junk. Regardless, they can be replaced for under $100 with a set of Warn Hubs.

Despite what some other's are complaining about, the TTB (Twin Traction Bar) generation of Ford trucks is probably one of their best ever produced.

They look like trucks.
They are built like trucks.
They work like trucks.

Adding to the Ford/Chevy pi$$ing contest.... not loyal to either brand, they all have good ones and bad ones.
If I were buying one to work with, it would be a Ford, HD=Highway Driving

At least Ford hasn't abandoned the SFA-Solid Front Axle for you numbskulls out there.

Kickstarts-suck
04-16-2007, 12:00 PM
Originally posted by 54warrior
The 300-6 is probably one of the top 10 best motors EVER produced by ANY manufacturer.

It is just a tough motor. Very reliable. Someone also made mention that it makes as much torque as a 302 V8 which is a correct statement. These things will lug like nothing else. Make sure you get a stick and not an auto like the others have suggested.

If it has manual hubs, consider that a blessing. The stock auto locking hubs were junk. Regardless, they can be replaced for under $100 with a set of Warn Hubs.

Despite what some other's are complaining about, the TTB (Twin Traction Bar) generation of Ford trucks is probably one of their best ever produced.

They look like trucks.
They are built like trucks.
They work like trucks.

Adding to the Ford/Chevy pi$$ing contest.... not loyal to either brand, they all have good ones and bad ones.
If I were buying one to work with, it would be a Ford, HD=Highway Driving

At least Ford hasn't abandoned the SFA-Solid Front Axle for you numbskulls out there.

thanks good info. If I get a 6cly it will def. be a manual transmission. I like the manual locking hubs too. It looks like the right right hub is damaged so I might have to buy the warn hubs.