PDA

View Full Version : the 400 needs more balls

adrenaline32
04-15-2007, 02:39 PM
went to the dunes yesterday and after found i had kinked in my upper left A arm a bit. if i wanted to get new A arms could i get +1 or +2 and keep my stock shocks? also im looking for a bit more power and im not feeling a cam or 416 bore yet... YET. i plan on doing all that this summer but would a bigger carb help a lot? if so how much and what type. right now i got the full pro circuit t4 exhaust, rev box, no air lid and k&n filter, smaller front sprocket, and little things like scoops... any ideas for me. the thing needs more balls

thanks

TheNewn
04-15-2007, 02:45 PM
I personally think Carb should be one of the last things on the list to get. If you were going to get one though, perhaps the 450R carb would be a good upgrade. I think before you get a carb though, you should go ahead and do that Cam/416 kit. or you could just get a higher compression piston...

adrenaline32
04-15-2007, 03:40 PM
hmm you might be right actually, but the funds wont be around for the cam and big bore kit till summer because i wanna do both those things all at once. just while im in there might as well do it all. but any ideas on those A arms? my bday is coming up and my girl wants to take me to a broadway show.... uhhh. but she said if i wanted something for my car or 4 wheeler she would get it for me just as long as she can help. haha but i figured id get something off of the classified sections on this forum because i dont want her spending much at all. any ideas what would help besides the major stuff?

underpowered
04-15-2007, 04:05 PM
you could run stock shocks with ext. a-arms but your the valving would be off, it will be really soft and bottom out easily.

as for the carb, i would wait and do other mods first like the cam and high comp. you would see more of a gain then than you would now, the 450r carb is almost too big for a stock 400 motor.

2002Honda400ex
04-15-2007, 05:22 PM
Houser makes plus 2 a-arms that use stock length shocks. Your valving would be fine. They are not long travel is why the valving would me the same

JOEX
04-15-2007, 05:25 PM
Originally posted by 2002Honda400ex
Houser makes plus 2 a-arms that use stock length shocks. Your valving would be fine. They are not long travel is why the valving would me the same
Are you sure about this?

underpowered
04-15-2007, 06:29 PM
Originally posted by 2002Honda400ex

no the valving changes due to the extra leverage on teh shocks caused by the longer arms. many companies make standard travel arms, but all require different shocks to work correctly.

j450rking
04-15-2007, 07:03 PM
you could also get a arms off ebay for a good price

adrenaline32
04-15-2007, 08:21 PM
i love ebay haha

eliasxr400
04-16-2007, 03:17 PM
11.1 compression std. piston, $100. Stage 1 Hotcam $125, Cometic gasket $25.
Smile on face on first ride:D
Priceless!

I just installed this set up and am very pleased. Huge power gains.
Well worth $250, and the work is very easy to do. I also had to spend $25 on a cylinder hone because I couldnt find mine:mad: . I had the cam already so it only cost me $150 and about 3hrs of work (with lots of breaks). This is sort of like the HRC kit honda offered for the XR400 with the same motor back in the day.

I would upgrade the suspension first but that can get $expensive$.