PDA

View Full Version : Diabeties and Drinking

Kickstarts-suck
04-15-2007, 12:33 AM
Well I am Diabetic and the other day I was wondering can diabetics drink alot?

If im asleep and my bloodsugar gets low I wake up automatically.

But what if a diabetic drinks so much that he/she passes out? would he/she be able to wake up if they get a low bloodsugar?

Im not into drinking I just would like to know.

Outlaw 50
04-15-2007, 06:46 AM
A drinking diabetic will soon be a dead diabetic!

The achohol being consumed is taken through your liver and converted to SUGAR so your body can process it.

This causes your body to produce insulin to deal with the sugar and that will trigger your pancreas to overwork.

All in all not a good thing to be doing!

wvspeedfreak
04-15-2007, 07:37 AM
Originally posted by Outlaw 50

Exactly.If you are a diabetic do yourself a huge favor and stay away from alcohol.

CDALEMX301
04-15-2007, 08:29 AM
I could only imagine what would happen if a Diabetic drank a lot. We were recently on Vaca and my mom let my sister have one of those frozen mixed drinks....you know the ones with tons of sugar...well my sisters bloodsugar was super low for like the next day even turning her pumpway down so she wasnt getting insulin...imagine what a lot would do.

LTandRaptorider
04-15-2007, 12:09 PM
I used to work with a guy who was diabetic, and some other health problems. He liked to drink, especially on weekends. Notice I said USED to work with him... He died 5-6 years ago.

Kickstarts-suck
04-15-2007, 01:55 PM

The achohol being consumed is taken through your liver and converted to SUGAR so your body can process it.

This causes your body to produce insulin to deal with the sugar and that will trigger your pancreas to overwork.

well im type 1 diabetic so my pancreas doesn't work at all. Im also have a pump.

So even sugar free drinks are bad?
found this on another website.
"Diabetics Can Also Reap the Benefits of Moderate Drinking.Doctors have known for some time that a drink (or two) a day may keep heart disease away"

honda400ex68b
04-15-2007, 02:51 PM

i have been diabetic for almost 19 years, and when i asked the doctor about achohol and type 1 it lowers your sugar, not raising it. i had to eat something when i drank beer, light beer, and they also said to take an hour or so to drink it. most of the problems diabetic's have is their own fault from not following the doctors orders. i have been on the pump for about 4 years.

the guy that was diabetic and drank on the weekends probably drank more then he should, like with most people that drink, and he probably had other problems that he ignored, i am sure it was not from the beer only.

Glamis400ex
04-15-2007, 04:37 PM
It's amazing my grandpa is still alive after all these years. Raging diabetic and drinks a fifth of rum every 2 days. Don't know how he does it.:ermm:

mephyst
04-15-2007, 07:08 PM
My family has several diabetics... My grandpa and uncle are both diabetic and they both drink without any problems... I know my grandpa never gets too drunk, but my uncle sure does. Hahah. I'll have to ask them about it.

johnsls
04-15-2007, 08:13 PM
the guy that was diabetic and drank on the weekends probably drank more then he should, like with most people that drink, and he probably had other problems that he ignored, i am sure it was not from the beer only.

This I have to agree with.

I have been a diabetic for over 29 years,, and although when I was younger I did things that I was lucky to have made it through.. There have been a few times that my sugar went down in the 20's. Looking back it was all my doing.

Any person who overdrinks is going to have problems.

I drink occasionally but as a diabetic I also check my sugar levels at least 4-6 times a day.. Luckly I haven't had to go on the pump, but I wouldn't rule it out.

So like in anything in life do it in moderation!!

Kickstarts-suck
04-15-2007, 08:22 PM
Originally posted by johnsls

This I have to agree with.

I have been a diabetic for over 29 years,, and although when I was younger I did things that I was lucky to have made it through.. There have been a few times that my sugar went down in the 20's. Looking back it was all my doing.

Any person who overdrinks is going to have problems.

I drink occasionally but as a diabetic I also check my sugar levels at least 4-6 times a day.. Luckly I haven't had to go on the pump, but I wouldn't rule it out.

So like in anything in life do it in moderation!!

You should look into the pump. They are GREAT i would never go back to 4 shots a day. When ever you want to eat something just punch in the carbs into your pump and you can eat.

johnsls
04-15-2007, 08:30 PM
Yeah I know.. just not too sure about how the cathader thing works or how comfortable it is to change it every couple of days.

honda400ex68b
04-15-2007, 09:15 PM
Originally posted by johnsls
Yeah I know.. just not too sure about how the cathader thing works or how comfortable it is to change it every couple of days.

i change mine every 3 days, better than 4 or 5 shots a day. the line that goes in your body has a needle just for inserting it, then it comes out and what stays in is a plastic piece about a 1/4 inch long. it does not hurt at all. i can hit it pretty hard and i do not feel a thing, and your control will be alot better with the pump than on shots, i wont go back to them.

CDALEMX301
04-15-2007, 09:38 PM
For you guys on the pump have any of you looked into the Pod?http://www.diabetesincontrol.com/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=2680 this thing is pretty kickass my sister has been using itfor about 6 months...she says no more getting the tube hooked on theings no more have a large piece of plastic attached to your hip and such...This pod is about the size of half a kiwi and it sticks to your side she needs to replace it once every few days...swims with it etc...and it stays stuck...she plays sports with it as she is very very active and never has an issue with it where as she used to have to remove the pump when playing...It then wireless attaches to a PDA type unit that you can keep in your pocket etc and functions the same way as the pump...you guys should look into it...she claims the pump changed her life but this is even better she ssays shewill never go back to the pump

Kickstarts-suck
04-15-2007, 09:54 PM
Originally posted by CDALEMX301
For you guys on the pump have any of you looked into the Pod?http://www.diabetesincontrol.com/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=2680 this thing is pretty kickass my sister has been using itfor about 6 months...she says no more getting the tube hooked on theings no more have a large piece of plastic attached to your hip and such...This pod is about the size of half a kiwi and it sticks to your side she needs to replace it once every few days...swims with it etc...and it stays stuck...she plays sports with it as she is very very active and never has an issue with it where as she used to have to remove the pump when playing...It then wireless attaches to a PDA type unit that you can keep in your pocket etc and functions the same way as the pump...you guys should look into it...she claims the pump changed her life but this is even better she ssays shewill never go back to the pump

Looks cool but I kinda like having the pump wire attacked just in case It ever falls out my pocket so i don't have to pay for another $6k pump. My whole pump is waterproof so I can swim with it anyways

ATV Chic
04-16-2007, 06:39 AM
I suggest that everyone that has a pump get the Minimed real time system. It has a small (quarter sized) transmitter that you plug into a sensor that you inject into yourself just like the pump canula. It reads your blood sugar every 5 minutes and sends the reading to the pump. Check out http://www.minimed.com/index.html

It's a new technology that has only been out about 8 months so insurance will not cover the cost of the sensors yet. But i can tell you my life has become som much easier because of it. I found out 3 years ago that i was diabetic when i was 25 and hadn't drank a drop untill i got on the system. I always eat a lil something before i go to bed when i've drank because the alcohol slows down your digestion, so your body does not get the sugar from your carbs at it's normal rate. When you're on a pump, this causes you to have to much insulin in your system, so your sugar crashes. With the real time system, it alarms if i go below 80 or above 240ml of blood sugar. When i drink, i set a temp basal for 50% of normal rate and my sugar is fine all night. I don't think it's good to drink being diabetic, don't get me wrong, but this is how i do it when i do decide to have a lil;) and btw, i just got back from vegas. Something else i never thought i'd be able to do again!:devil:

johnsls
04-16-2007, 07:51 AM
So I guess I would need to contact my insurance company to see what they may or maynot cover.

4 - 6 shots a day is getting a little old.

You all gave good suggestions but now which one do I choose.. I can say that I definately like the NO WIRE feature. But we'll see.

Thanks.

Regular_Joe
04-16-2007, 07:56 AM
A good friend at work just got the pump CDALEMX301 mentioned. So far he loves it ....

CDALEMX301
04-16-2007, 07:59 AM
The pod i recommended above is awesomeand the PDA feature is cool...someone mentioned they were worried about breaking it my sister has broken 2 PDAs since she has been on it and the company replaces them for free and they overnight ship them so you are now without the pod for very long

54warrior
04-16-2007, 08:24 AM
I know a kid who would always drink this stuff:

www.straubbeer.com

"Over 125 years of unadulterated freshness - no sugars, no salts, no preservatives .... that is the Straub Brewing pledge. Straub Beer and Straub Light Beer contain nothing but 100% natural brewing ingredients, which is why we proudly call our beer "The Natural Choice".

ATV Chic
04-16-2007, 09:34 AM
Originally posted by 54warrior
I know a kid who would always drink this stuff:

www.straubbeer.com

"Over 125 years of unadulterated freshness - no sugars, no salts, no preservatives .... that is the Straub Brewing pledge. Straub Beer and Straub Light Beer contain nothing but 100% natural brewing ingredients, which is why we proudly call our beer "The Natural Choice".

That's awesome. The only thing is, with being diabetic and on the pump, the sugar that is in alcohol can very easily be covered. There's typically about 4-6 carbs in a beer, so it's not the issue. The problem is, as i kinda touched on previously, is the alcohol slowing down the natural digestive process, which keeps the carbs (sugar) from being digested at your normal rate, so the insulin you are receiving becomes to much and therefore causes the sugar to bottom out. Don't get me wrong, that's still a great product i will have to try! Thanks for the info!!! :cool: :p

54warrior
04-16-2007, 09:56 AM
Originally posted by sexyatvchic
That's awesome. The only thing is, with being diabetic and on the pump, the sugar that is in alcohol can very easily be covered. There's typically about 4-6 carbs in a beer, so it's not the issue. The problem is, as i kinda touched on previously, is the alcohol slowing down the natural digestive process, which keeps the carbs (sugar) from being digested at your normal rate, so the insulin you are receiving becomes to much and therefore causes the sugar to bottom out. Don't get me wrong, that's still a great product i will have to try! Thanks for the info!!! :cool: :p

Yeah, I don't understand the whole diabetes thing and what all is involved with it, just passing along what I seen a friend doing.

johnsls
04-16-2007, 10:33 AM
From what I'm reading and looked at the POD seems to be the ideal machine. My Doctor said the minipod does not give accurate blood sugar readings. (well one of his patients has it and 3 out 4 times it was waaayyyy off)

Great info and definately NOT the place I'd expect to learn or read about. Thanks to everyone for sharing their experiences.

Kickstarts-suck
04-16-2007, 12:16 PM
I have the Animas IR1250 and ive liked it alot. Very easy to use and Ive had the back light quit working and they sent me a new pump overnight shipping to me.

I went to a pump meet or whatever you want to call it and looked at all the different pumps and chose the Animas Ir1250.
http://images.search.yahoo.com/search/images/view?back=http%3A%2F%2Fimages.search.yahoo.com%2Fs earch%2Fimages%3Fp%3Danimas%2520ir1250%26ei%3DUTF-8%26fr%3Dmoz2%26fr2%3Dtab-web&w=457&h=110&imgurl=www.animascorp.com%2Fimages%2F1250-spec-pix.jpg&rurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.animascorp.com%2Fproducts%2F pr_insulinpump_IR1250Spec.shtml&size=14.1kB&name=1250-spec-pix.jpg&p=animas+ir1250&type=jpeg&no=5&tt=8&oid=67b7dab79d9da216&ei=UTF-8

honda400ex68b
04-16-2007, 01:19 PM
Originally posted by Kickstarts-suck
I have the Animas IR1250 and ive liked it alot. Very easy to use and Ive had the back light quit working and they sent me a new pump overnight shipping to me.

I went to a pump meet or whatever you want to call it and looked at all the different pumps and chose the Animas Ir1250.
http://images.search.yahoo.com/search/images/view?back=http%3A%2F%2Fimages.search.yahoo.com%2Fs earch%2Fimages%3Fp%3Danimas%2520ir1250%26ei%3DUTF-8%26fr%3Dmoz2%26fr2%3Dtab-web&w=457&h=110&imgurl=www.animascorp.com%2Fimages%2F1250-spec-pix.jpg&rurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.animascorp.com%2Fproducts%2F pr_insulinpump_IR1250Spec.shtml&size=14.1kB&name=1250-spec-pix.jpg&p=animas+ir1250&type=jpeg&no=5&tt=8&oid=67b7dab79d9da216&ei=UTF-8

i have the animas ir1250 too, and had some problems with it because it was just out, like with every new gadget. i had the minimed 511 and had problems with it also, but i like the ir1250 better than the minimed pump.

CDALEMX301
04-16-2007, 03:02 PM
Unaware of the number of diabetics on this site I never posted this article when it was emailed to me a few months back...It is taken from a Canadian newspaper and written about a study that took place in canada... http://www.cbc.ca/health/story/2006/12/14/diabetes-neuron.html

similar article on same study...
http://www.canada.com/nationalpost/news/story.html?id=a042812e-492c-4f07-8245-8a598ab5d1bf&k=63970

I am also waiting for an email that talks about how canada has began this study on people my gf and her father have read the article but are procrastinating on the email side...

Kickstarts-suck
04-16-2007, 03:24 PM
Originally posted by CDALEMX301
Unaware of the number of diabetics on this site I never posted this article when it was emailed to me a few months back...It is taken from a Canadian newspaper and written about a study that took place in canada... http://www.cbc.ca/health/story/2006/12/14/diabetes-neuron.html

similar article on same study...
http://www.canada.com/nationalpost/news/story.html?id=a042812e-492c-4f07-8245-8a598ab5d1bf&k=63970

I am also waiting for an email that talks about how canada has began this study on people my gf and her father have read the article but are procrastinating on the email side...

wow thats crazy

dur911bleh
04-16-2007, 06:23 PM
heh didnt know there was so many diabetics on this site

I dont mean to hijack the thread but.. I got a question for 1 or 2 of you with the pump. I have been thinking about going on one for close to a year now but have always wondered how it would work when you ride? Do you guys leave it on.. take it off.. is it bothersome? etc.. just wondering how that all works..

ATV Chic
04-16-2007, 07:01 PM
Originally posted by dur911bleh

I dont mean to hijack the thread but.. I got a question for 1 or 2 of you with the pump. I have been thinking about going on one for close to a year now but have always wondered how it would work when you ride? Do you guys leave it on.. take it off.. is it bothersome? etc.. just wondering how that all works..

I always have mine on unless i'm gettin into the shower. It's very convenient with the real time system actually when i ride, because I can just look down at the pump and see what my blood sugar is, and determine if i need to up or down my insulin basal rate without having to continuously do a finger stick. I took 17 - 25 shots per day plus Lantus a 24 hour insulin before i got on the pump. It is an ABSOLUTE blessing. It never is in the way. I don't even notice it attached to the front of my pants most of the time, and it never bugs me when i sleep. I love this system (minimed 722) it rocks! :macho

MO-EX-RIDER
04-16-2007, 07:28 PM
Originally posted by dur911bleh

i take mine off when riding...there is a "hub cap" that covers the quick set to keep crap from getting in there. i also wear a camel back with 15-20oz. of gatorade mixxed with 40-50 oz of h2o to keep some sugar in me when racing...

and the drinking thing??? i have been a type 1 diabetic for 13 months and on the pump for 4, and i have yet to this day have a problem with beer....just eat a little snack every now and then to raise the levels back up....i should leave the alcohol alone and monitor my levels more often(i check only when feeling bad)tho because i would like to live to be 50......

and my minimed is a life saver.....i hated shooting 3-5 shots per day but the quick set needle sucks too because it is longer and hurts like hell if you hit the wrong spot...it prefers body fat, which i really do not have