PDA

View Full Version : Question on whats wrong with my 400ex

Jblazin98
04-14-2007, 03:37 PM
Well i took my 400ex out today for its first ride of the spring and everything was goin great for a little bit...I stopped to BS with the guys i was riding with and went to hit the start buttion and ill I got was clicking..upon futher inspection it sounding like the clicking was coming from near that battery and I saw a spark coming out the positive terminal...I know its not the battery because it is BRAND new, one of the guys mentioned a Cylinoid (sp)...All my head lights worked fine and my neutral like lit up nice...I was able to catch it in gear and it ran perfect..HELP...

2003400EX
04-14-2007, 04:31 PM
It is that selinoid thing down by the battery ...i had the same problem a couple months ago....if u have an old honda big red three wheeler kickin around they're the same thing...thats what i did now its perfect...good luck!

honda300EXtreme
04-14-2007, 04:35 PM
or... it could be your starter, it might need new contact brushes put in it, when you get that clicking noise, tap on that starter with a hammer or something and see if that does the trick.

j450rking
04-14-2007, 10:08 PM
hey it's just the ground it's loos it hapend to me tighten the ground and go ride!

Jramion
04-15-2007, 05:32 AM
Yes, make sure the clamps are tight on the battery post. I can't tell if you said you seen a spark or not. If you seen a spark, then the clamps are not tight on the post. It will give you enough power to turn on lights but not enough to run the starter motor.

Jblazin98
04-15-2007, 08:23 AM
hmm that would make sense because i just replaced the battery during the winter...ill check it out...I hope it is that, it would be alot cheaper than a starter or silenoid

REPOMAN
04-15-2007, 09:14 AM
i agree. it sounds either a loose wire or the solenoid went out. let us know how you get it fixed

AtvMxRider
04-15-2007, 10:20 AM
sparks come from a loose connection.

j450rking
04-15-2007, 11:36 AM
mine never sparked that i saw

2003400EX
04-15-2007, 05:42 PM
All you have to do is take the 2 cables off the selinoid and touch them together...i will almost garuntee you it will fire right up....its happened to me the same way u explained it...it happed between the time i shut it off and tryed starting it again.....let me no how it works out..

ebo 4356
04-16-2007, 02:28 PM
Mine was doing the same thing this winter, and after two weeks of seaching tihe quad it led up to be the selinoid. So im positive its your selinoid.

Jblazin98
04-16-2007, 04:28 PM
Well thanks for the help everyone...

I took the battery out, gave the terminals a nice touch up with some sand paper to clean them up and BINGO she fired right up...

which makes alot of sense because they were real dirty...also the neutral light is brighter than it ever has been...

So i guess they were just dirty and not making good contact..

AtvMxRider
04-16-2007, 04:40 PM
Originally posted by Jblazin98
Well thanks for the help everyone...

I took the battery out, gave the terminals a nice touch up with some sand paper to clean them up and BINGO she fired right up...

which makes alot of sense because they were real dirty...also the neutral light is brighter than it ever has been...

So i guess they were just dirty and not making good contact..

Like I said sparks come from a loose connection not a bad solenoid