PDA

View Full Version : Always something wrong

rooster300ex
04-14-2007, 07:58 AM
I bought a 90 dollar rotor,oil cup,pads and everything to fix my back brakes. Tried to mount it, but the mount is bent or something is. I said oh well and the next day I put it back together so I could ride it, and right before we were gonna leave the riding area I shell 3rd gear in my 300ex. It vibrates,slips and grinds when I put it in 3rd. Is this a common problem with 300ex's. The transmissin is 12 years old, so i'm not suprised something went wrong with it.

300exOH
04-16-2007, 08:10 AM
3rd gear shifting problems is very common on the 300 especially the older ones. Probably a bent shift fork.

rooster300ex
04-16-2007, 10:18 AM
What are the signs of a bent shift fork? It sure seems like teeth are stipped on a gear or something. For a second it will be smooth but if you apply any throttle it starts slipping and grinding. I'm not riding it anymore so I dont' do anymore damage. I'm in the process of getting a used tranny from an 02 300ex. Its gotta be better then a 12 year tranny. Also how much do you think a shop would charge tear the engine down and put in the newer tranny?

300exOH
04-16-2007, 11:38 AM
Originally posted by rooster300ex
What are the signs of a bent shift fork? It sure seems like teeth are stipped on a gear or something. For a second it will be smooth but if you apply any throttle it starts slipping and grinding. I'm not riding it anymore so I dont' do anymore damage. I'm in the process of getting a used tranny from an 02 300ex. Its gotta be better then a 12 year tranny. Also how much do you think a shop would charge tear the engine down and put in the newer tranny?

Usually with a bent shift fork it will either loose 3rd completely or it will pop back out of gear while riding. It is possible you have sheared some teeth off of 3rd gear. No way to tell unless you tear it down. Buying another bottom end will be much cheaper than having a shop rebuild it but you run the risk of getting someone else's headache. Your best bet would be to pick up a repair manual and repair it yourself. It will walk you step by step through the process. The parts aren't too expensive but it does take some patience and time to do.

rooster300ex
04-17-2007, 03:54 PM
Originally posted by 300exOH
Usually with a bent shift fork it will either loose 3rd completely or it will pop back out of gear while riding. It is possible you have sheared some teeth off of 3rd gear. No way to tell unless you tear it down. Buying another bottom end will be much cheaper than having a shop rebuild it but you run the risk of getting someone else's headache. Your best bet would be to pick up a repair manual and repair it yourself. It will walk you step by step through the process. The parts aren't too expensive but it does take some patience and time to do.

I have a clymer manual. Man you have to tear the engine completely down. Somebody that has never done it before i'm sure something will go wrong when I put it back together. Do you think removing the motor myself will cut the cost down on labor.

300exOH
04-18-2007, 08:23 AM
Originally posted by rooster300ex
I have a clymer manual. Man you have to tear the engine completely down. Somebody that has never done it before i'm sure something will go wrong when I put it back together. Do you think removing the motor myself will cut the cost down on labor.

It is a big job but it can be done. If you are going to have it done at a shop or dealer then I would talk to them and see if they will cut you a break if you remove and reinstall the engine yourself. You probably won't save a huge amount but every little bit helps. I would think it would save you at least an hour labor or more which would be around $60/hour.