PDA

View Full Version : Guys Please Help!!!!

deeroldz28
04-14-2007, 12:09 AM
ok, i have a 89 250r +4 laeger a-arms, laegers swingarm, laeger stem, +4 durablue axel, full adjustable axis rear shock, and full adjustable tcs front shocks, well i thought it was a 89 but its a 89 motor on a 86-87 frame. Thats all welied up so me not knowing much about 250r's just bought a very nice 89 250r frame. But as i see i am running into trubble like the rear shock mount is not the same and peggs as well. i dont kno if theres anything eles yet i just got done takeing this thing apart and now i am stuck... So if anyone kno's what i am going to run in to next please let me kno and help me out on HOW to fix the problums....!!!
THANKS ALOT I NEED THE HELP...

mfr422
04-14-2007, 03:30 AM
All you need to do is switch to 88-89 style footpegs and pins, I just bought a set from service honda @38.00 apiece. Which part of your shock mount is different? that should be the same.

deeroldz28
04-14-2007, 09:43 AM
hey the top mount on the 89 frame is like 3 1/2 inch. bigger than the mount on the 86-87 frame for the top of the shock??? like i need spacers but i dont kno what to use??? so EVERYTHING on the bike should mount u besides the foot pegs???

RichM1983
04-14-2007, 11:19 AM
All of your stuff should work. The pegs will need to be purchased. You can get them used off of ebay dirt cheap. I paid like $15 for a set with shipping. The rear swingarm for the 88/89 is different from the early years but you can still use the 86/87 swinger on the newer frame, I am right now. All you need to do is make a spacer that spans the pivot bolt so your bearings don't work out of the swinger. Most people cut the stock 86/87 motor mount that goes there so it will fit in the newer frame. Other than that all you will need is a spacer or two in some places. I just use nice thick heavy duty washers because they dont need to be strong in places like the top shock mount like you describe because they just just stop side to side movement. Thats should be it. Most of my parts on my 88 frame are the older style parts and they all worked. Im even using a 250x stearing stem and it works.

mfr422
04-14-2007, 11:22 AM
Deerold,
One other difference is in the rear motor mount, the 86-7 uses an adapter in the back and the swingarm is split for it . The 89 frame has an additional frame tube across the back of the motor and doesn't use the swingarm to mount the motor, you can use your 87 swingarm . You may have to modify the mounting bracket by cutting off the top of it. I use an 87 swingarm in the dunes due to it being 1.25 inches longer than my stock 88 aluminum. I made an aluminum spacer to go between the sides of the swingarm otherwise it can move and the seals won't stay in.
Can you post some pics of the shock mount and shock, there shouldn't be a width difference between the years on the shock. maybe someone modified it??

Dave83
04-14-2007, 03:40 PM
Im thinking like mfr,I think you may be looking at the rear motor mount on the 89 frame.The shock mounts are all just about the same.The 86-87 swingarm will work on the 88-89 frame,in fact,some people prefer them as they cant rub the engine cases like the 88-89 swingers do when the bearings get worn.Everything else should work,except as mentioned the pegs.

deeroldz28
04-14-2007, 10:25 PM
ok guys thanks, but i forgot to add that i also have a laegers swingarm... the quad is like 85% done now just waiting on some parts foot pegs and a 89 dogbone for my shock that why it would not work the 86-87 dogbone is smaller than the 89...

but i need something if someone has a 86 and a 89 r i need to see some pics of the left side colse to the back of the motor close up on it like the swingarm bolt and back motor mounts i just need to see something real quik if someone can do that for me i would realy appreshate it thanks alot..