93 pump gas
Dynojet jet kit-
42p, 2-2.5 turns out, DJ needle 4th clip form top, DJ 155m

Both runs were with slicks at 73 deg. and sea level

cdale2002
04-13-2007, 10:46 PM

GPracer2500
04-14-2007, 02:59 PM
That's great power. Especially for how easy it was to get.

Yamaha did such a nice job on that engine.

250r4life
04-16-2007, 05:44 PM
yah they did... im curious to know what mine puts out... then again, im not curious enough to know to pay the $100 to find out ;) i know it runs good, and thats all that matters...

i tell ya GP, im torn on getting exhaust or not... ive got the money, but its more a question of getting rid of that big ugly silencer... yah its ugly, but its also there for everybody to see that im beating them with the stock exhaust, and you gotta love that :D

how's the old R, and has your buddy done anything with his banshee yet? its funny how they dont like to continue running with half full radiators :D

you done any riding with this rain we've had?

GPracer2500
04-16-2007, 07:44 PM
I'd feel the same way if I were in your shoes. One the one hand, the stock silencer with the core out certainly works, is gonna last forever, and screams: "Obviously I know what the hell I'm doing cause by bike is essentially stock and I'm still kickin' your ***."

On the other hand a slip-on is prolly gonna get you a smidge more power, might sound better, weigh less, and look nicer.

Tough call. I'd probably wait until you've got money burning a hole in your pocket or you decide to do a few other things with the engine. Plus, your drag skills are high enough that I'll need all the help I can get to run with ya! :blah: [seriously folks, 250r4life is an excellent racer]

My R is getting a little tired. We went on a one night mid-week trip (myself and two others) about two weeks ago and I couldn't pull 5th up olds no matter what I tried (I could before). I was right on the edge--I could get 5th but it just wouldn't hang on to it. I first I thought jetting. I re-jetted and still couldn't do it. Then I thought it must just be the hotter temps then last time I was at olds. But I tried at night too and still couldn't do it. Then I thought it must be my cut Sandsharks. I was pretty sure I had done it before with the modded sandsharks but KNEW I could do it with 6 paddle haulers. So I switched paddles and that wasn't helping either. Finally I put my comp tester on it and it was down some from my last spec. I've been trying to get through the season on that piston--I guess it's time.

We did more paddle tire testing. I picked up a set of 8 paddle Dune Hoppers (22x11x8) for $50. They sucked on my R. WAY too much paddle and the larger roll-out wasn't helping things either with my current gearing. They worked decent on Ruf's Rap7 though. Similar traction to his 8 paddle extremes but they didn't throw as much sand which is nice when he's leading. I might cut them down and try and get them to perform how I like on my R or just keep them as-is for back-ups/lowners.

Played around with 6 paddle Haulers vs. 8 paddle Extremes on the rap7 also. With the 6s I could actually climb olds in 5th. I thought they still hooked out of the hole well too. 5th certainly wasn't the fastest way up--it was really chugging by the time I got to the top. But it was a great demonstration of how paddle count/type changes what the bike will or won't do. On the rap w/ the 8 extremes I can climb olds in 4th and it's pretty fast but it's always a bit of a question whether screaming in 3rd is better than riding the torque in 4th. I think with the 6s 4th would definitely be faster for me. Didn't have enough time to draw any set-in-stone conclusions though. I think Ruf's thoughts were that a 7 paddle Hauler might be just right for him [shrug].

I was loving this camp spot we found. Close to olds with some fun dunes right outside our front door. It's tucked away far enough that hardly anyone camps back in there.

http://img299.imageshack.us/img299/7770/p4030042mediumvn7.jpg

Pretty sure Russ hasn't touched his banshee yet!

250r4life
04-17-2007, 11:09 AM
i think i might know where that is that you were camping- i think ive seen people there before... then again, its hard to tell one place from another at times in pictures...

yah i dont know what im gunna do with the whole exhuast situation... my buddy and i are going to do the cam mod this summer on our YFZs, but other than that we arent going to touch the motor... we have an agreemant to keep our bikes pretty much equal as we have some killer races- im either a half a bike in front of him or he is half a bike in front of me... anywho... i've got the money, but between wanting to keep that stock silencer for the fun of it, and not knowing which exhaust i would get... i would either go with the HMF, rossier, or sparks... sparks supposedly makes the most HP, but takes away from the bottom-mid and so i dont know how it would do on the hill... some of the fastest bikes i have raced have had sparks, but then again, i dont know what all else has been done to peoples bikes... anywho... enough of my soap box...

250r4life
04-17-2007, 11:16 AM
as far as your 250r and not being able to pull olds in 5th... i dunno... it depends on how much lower of reading you got with your compression... if it wasnt considerably lower i wouldnt worry too much... the sand is a funny thing, and between how wet and soft it is, it can play with your head a lot...

sometimes this season i will race patton in 4th and it will pull great, and sometimes it will be a dog in 4th and i'll be faster in 3rd... i remember back when my R had the stock engine and just a pipe and what not... we were racing patton and i couldnt hold 4th and i was tripping thinking something was wrong with my bike and that my engine was getting tired... it was just the sand...

sometimes the sand is just a little heavier and what not, and it makes a huge difference...

and it affects the bikes differently... we went down one trip back in jan where the wind had blown and the sand was so soft and wes (the guy that was leading on the black 450r) was pulling me like i was standing still on the hill... i couldnt get my bike to rev out cuz the sand was so heavy, and that 450r just has a lot more bottom to mid and it was a lot better suited...

just food for thought...

250r4life
04-18-2007, 06:54 PM
Hey GP... you checked out the weather forecast for yuma this weekend yet? its supposed to be 82 on saturday... any chance ya'll might be going down?

GPracer2500
04-18-2007, 11:39 PM
Originally posted by 250r4life
Hey GP...

Good point on the sand. Maybe it was different? Didn't seem different--but who knows...

I don't have anything planned as far as dune trips. If I count a Coral Pink trip I did last summer as my first trip of the season then I did 11 this year. That's a record for me and probably close to the limit of what I can do. Eh--at least that's how I feel at the moment.

I'm angling for a CR500 and those plans have my purse strings pulled pretty tight at the moment. Not to mention maintenance and repairs the other machines need. :grr:

If you've got a trip brewing you should definitely let me know, if you want. I doubt I'll take the inititive to make one happen on my own though.

Did I hear you say you've thought about getting a dirt bike?

250r4life
04-19-2007, 02:43 AM
yah... my buddy and i are supposedly going to buy a cr 250 before the end of the summer... we'll see if it happens... we should be starting to build his house here in the next month or so, so i wouldnt be surprised if his plans change... and that his wallet will more than he anticipates...