PDA

View Full Version : K&N filter snapped off

Digsy
04-13-2007, 04:58 PM
So I was out riding last week and my bike started missing quite bad on the top end, so I eased it back to my trailer and looked for a problem. Turned out my K&N air filter had broken off at the weld on the back end and the whole thing had fallen off into the air box!

I put my stocker back on and was going to order a new K&N, but figured that there was more to choose from.

So .. What's the best system for a '05 TRX? I ride desert trails under Baja-style conditions flat out and also plenty of dunes and very lumpy trails in the middle-east version of whoops - camel grass! I am used to mashing the CRFs, but they are getting a bit closer to me with the stocker on, so I would like to get a good bolt-on air system to put them back in their place. I have seen a few good ones, like at Golden West and Trinity, but would prefer to support C&D ...

What do you think? What is good?

whiteboycustom
04-13-2007, 05:02 PM
for the sandy conditions u might want to get a uni filter

450rRacer22
04-14-2007, 08:20 AM
same thing happened to me i'll never run k&n again. i run uni now and i love it

d3ktrix
04-14-2007, 01:59 PM
I've seen many UNI's fall off and destroy engines.
My friend down the rode lost 2 cylinder/ring sets to his UNI falling off and his crank bearings and stator also got destroyed from the sand.

Was riding with another person in a local sand pit when his UNI fell off, later on I herd it entire top end was gone.

I'll stick with the stock filter for now :P

A UNI with a alum ring isn't a bad idea (no heavy cage), also put filter oil around the lip of the filter so it sticks like glue.

rlplive
04-14-2007, 03:05 PM
Originally posted by Digsy
So I was out riding last week and my bike started missing quite bad on the top end, so I eased it back to my trailer and looked for a problem. Turned out my K&N air filter had broken off at the weld on the back end and the whole thing had fallen off into the air box!

I put my stocker back on and was going to order a new K&N, but figured that there was more to choose from.

So .. What's the best system for a '05 TRX? I ride desert trails under Baja-style conditions flat out and also plenty of dunes and very lumpy trails in the middle-east version of whoops - camel grass! I am used to mashing the CRFs, but they are getting a bit closer to me with the stocker on, so I would like to get a good bolt-on air system to put them back in their place. I have seen a few good ones, like at Golden West and Trinity, but would prefer to support C&D ...

What do you think? What is good?
I passed through qatar last may and thats the hottest place ive ever been in my life.
Ryan

450R_lover
04-14-2007, 06:49 PM
mine did the same thing. I just bought an ESR airbox eliminator. I dont have to worry about that bracket breaking anymore.:D

GIXXER1KR
04-14-2007, 06:54 PM
I run the Pro Design set up.It has the aluminum sleeve to reinforce the filter.I run the K&N with the outerwear.Ive run them for years on all my bikes without any problems!!!Just normal cleaning and oiling.The outerware helps a lot!!!

pro-rider46
04-14-2007, 07:59 PM
those velocity ones look like they would suck in lots of air but only if your up to paying 100 bucks

mxrider792
04-14-2007, 11:01 PM
The same thing happend to my K&N.....I was pissed and called K&N and they sent me a brand new one and i have to send my old one in so they can inspect it.

stallionrr
04-15-2007, 09:01 AM
dude... KnN replaced mine 6 times for the same reason.... Every time it would brake, they just sent me a new one.. and i just keep doin it.. the one i have now hasn't broke yet ... i think because i cleaned the filter and the air box tube (where they meet) with acetone and it makes it stick a lot better... try that.. i think the acetone eats the rubber a little bit and makes a super strong hold which i guess takes some pressure off the bracket on the back... but deffinetly call kNn and they will send you a new one for free!!!!! keep rippin...:devil:

GIXXER1KR
04-15-2007, 09:04 PM
The stock filter set up is a poor design.This is a little pricey but will end those problems!!!!
https://secure11.nexternal.com/shared/StoreFront/product_image_large.asp?RowID=835&SKUID=

the 97
04-18-2007, 05:45 PM
I run the Pro Design set up 2.It has the aluminum sleeve to reinforce the filter.I run the K&N with a foam wrap. you can get the wrap for sparks.....save alot of time cleaning the k&n.and i don't see how an air filter us making you quad that much faster.

Colby@C&DRacing
04-18-2007, 06:06 PM
For your conditions I would run a uni filter you have to make sure once it is oiled you clean the intake boot and the rubber part of the filter with carb cleaner and then tighten the clamp if you don't clean it the filter can and will come off and don't over tighten the clamp either I have been running a uni since 04 with no problems.

450rJam
04-18-2007, 07:49 PM
im with gixer, the pro design k&n with outerwears seals great with the billet ring.

I think its the best available filter and mounting design.

81built2hill81
04-19-2007, 07:15 AM
I Have The Pro Design Kit Also And Have Had Zero Problems With It. I Recomend It All The Way. As Far As K&N Or Uni, Where I Ride I Have Had Good Luck With A K&N But I Have Never Rode In The Sand So I Dont Know Which One Is Better For Ya. I Do Know You Can Get Either A K&N Or Uni w/ The Pro Design Kit. Its Your Choice Bro.

quadwanter
04-19-2007, 10:55 AM
Originally posted by 450rRacer22
same thing happened to me i'll never run k&n again. i run uni now and i love it

i have to still get a uni....k&n lost all my respect because of it.