PDA

View Full Version : Race Fuel!!!!

450RACER1
04-13-2007, 03:21 PM
i have an 05 450r with hrc kit motoworks exhaust air filter and razrs can i run race fuel in it if so how many octane and would it be worth it?

whiteboycustom
04-13-2007, 03:51 PM
i run sunoco 104 in my 05 with stock compression, people say ur waisting ur money, but its alot cleaner fuel then from the gas station, u wont gain from it unless u have high comp. piston, i say get a new piston to give u a better reason to run the good stuff, or just run u some sunoco 104 unleaded and have a cleaner runnin quad

patrickj75
04-13-2007, 03:51 PM
try VP U4 or U4.1. Rath Racing will be selling VP. give them a call at 320-234-7223.

patrick

GPracer2500
04-13-2007, 03:55 PM
You can run a race fuel (but remember to rejet for it!). While there can be benefits to a race fuel beyond octane rating, I'm guessing that in your case those benefits would not be worth it.

In other words, your 05 TRX450R will not benefit from the a higher octane rating of a racing fuel so the only benefits left are those not related to octane rating. And those benefits tend to be minor for a recreationally oriented machine.

I say save your money for other things.

the 97
04-18-2007, 05:52 PM
race fuel ignites at a lower temp. also burns cleaner....with a stock bike i would run it 50/50 with pump gas.

89'350RX
04-18-2007, 06:23 PM
everyone forgets about the lead....lead in the fuel is good for the motor/valves. I run 50/50 all the time.

Architects
04-18-2007, 10:22 PM
Originally posted by the 97
race fuel expoldes at a lower temp. also burns cleaner....with a stock bike i would run it 50/50 with pump gas.

This couldn't be further from the truth

ratso
04-22-2007, 10:07 AM
I really like my 450! In no way would I ever run straight pump gas in her. I mix 50/50 trick blue 114 with premium. Valves need the lead, the cumbustion chamber burns cooler and cleaner.

2StrokeCowpoke
04-22-2007, 03:45 PM
It wont hurt anything..

desratt
04-22-2007, 04:14 PM
if you are trying to get a high octane you are wasting your money. every engine combo has a optimum octane requirement. if yoou go higher you actually lose power if you go to low you risk engine damage. built engines don't get more power by using 114 octane. they use it cause they risk engine damage if they run to low of an octane... running the right octane is so it doesn't EXPLODE. it burns and pushes the piston. kinda like when you want to move something you would push it and not punch it. the higher the octane the less prone to exploding it is and the slower it burns. now mixing that with the heat of compression(ie. compression ratio(or dynamic ratio if you want to dig that deep)) you get the purfect burn speed.

now there are other benefits like oxygenated fuels. don't confuse oxygenated with octane. like the u4 which is not a very high octane but has been oxygenated and will yeild more power. but has been known to corode the inside of things like carb or head.

lead. alot of race fuels are leaded to aid in cooling. except some racing organizations say you must use unleaded for the greeney factor. you can buy lead additives at your local auto store.

honda4life72
04-22-2007, 04:56 PM
i run 50/50 in mine and can't really tell anything except the throttle response is better

GPracer2500
04-22-2007, 05:08 PM
Octane rating is not related to burn speed.

GotMuscle?
04-24-2007, 12:40 AM
dont run vp u4 it is not high enough octane your motor runs real hot with that stuff, i tried it but aftertalking to sparks they suggested u2 now i don't over heat just my .02 though

sandmanblue
04-25-2007, 12:34 PM
Not another octane and race fuel thread... :rolleyes:

The guy that started this thread has a stock compression motor. 10.5:1 Running anything more expensive than pump gas isn't going to gain squat. Even running U4 would have marginal gains (maybe 1hp???) after the jetting was changed to run it. BUT only after a jetting change.

Race fuel runs cleaner? That depends on proper jetting and the type of fuel. Ever seen an exhaust port after somebody ran some of the oxy fuels?

Once you start getting above the 12:1 level, then octane needs increase. By 13.5:1 IMO you are in 100% race fuel (100 octane) territory.

Run what you want to. It's your quad and your money. Good thing is this guy can run just about anything with stock compression - aside from mexican gas.....

chad502ex
04-26-2007, 09:42 AM
Originally posted by sandmanblue
Not another octane and race fuel thread... :rolleyes:

The guy that started this thread has a stock compression motor. 10.5:1 Running anything more expensive than pump gas isn't going to gain squat. Even running U4 would have marginal gains (maybe 1hp???) after the jetting was changed to run it. BUT only after a jetting change.

Race fuel runs cleaner? That depends on proper jetting and the type of fuel. Ever seen an exhaust port after somebody ran some of the oxy fuels?

Once you start getting above the 12:1 level, then octane needs increase. By 13.5:1 IMO you are in 100% race fuel (100 octane) territory.

Run what you want to. It's your quad and your money. Good thing is this guy can run just about anything with stock compression - aside from mexican gas.....

another negative posting. your post history here is stacking up against you.... please continue....

sandmanblue
04-27-2007, 11:22 AM
Originally posted by chad502ex
another negative posting. your post history here is stacking up against you.... please continue....

Keep it up Chad - here's another example where you have to chime in with no info just to ruin a thread and start an argument.

BTW - I'm not the one getting banned from forums... That would be you....

desratt
04-27-2007, 04:25 PM
your right
octane is not burn speed. but it does effect it.
octane is how it resists to detonation

the higher the octane the more stable

GPracer2500
04-27-2007, 04:54 PM
Originally posted by desratt
your right
octane is not burn speed. but it does effect it.
octane is how it resists to detonation

the higher the octane the more stable

You could have two fuels with identical octane ratings and different burn rates. If you raise octane rating with a higher content of aromatic hydrocarbons that will impact deflagration rates differently then if you raised octane with TEL. Same deal with raising octane rating with ethanol--different method of achieving octane rating, different affect on deflagration characteristics.

There are no general correlations that can be made between octane rating and it's impact on burn speed (or anything else other than detonation resistance).