PDA

View Full Version : Crank bearing/ crankshaft question.

Barrymaxx
04-13-2007, 03:08 PM
I have a 99ex that im rebuilding. I have the topend off, the clutch ocer off, and all the gears and components under the cover off. I have the motor up on the bench.

I just washed out the whole lowerend with some gas. Then I was oiling up all the bearings when I noticed something. When I spin the crankshaft, it can turn inside the bearing race. There is a tad bit of slop, I mean maybe a .0001 or less. The bearing feels like new and is smooth.

Is the inner race allowed to rotate on the crank, or should it be a press fit?

underpowered
04-13-2007, 10:50 PM
well there really shouldn't be any play in it. it is a pretty snug fit over the crank usuall. that .001 play is amplified at the ride since it is farther out, so it could cause a wobble in the piston wearing other parts as well. if it were mine, i would tear it down and replace it just to be safe.

Barrymaxx
04-14-2007, 09:15 AM
Its not enough to make any effects on the rod or anything else. It is so small, I mean its hard to describe. Most people wouldnt be able to feel it if they tryed, but it is there.

Ill just put a little bearing lock on it just incase, but I dont think it even needs it.

GYOGI65
04-15-2007, 05:36 PM
THE BEARINGS ARE PRESS FIT BUT I HAD A GUY THAT REBUILDS ENGINES RECOMOND TURNING CRANK SO BEARINGS ARE SNUG SLIP FIT WORKED ON MINE BEEN RUN HARD FOR A YEAR