PDA

View Full Version : Help Rear Brake Stuck

motoman006
04-13-2007, 10:38 AM
well i replaced my brake pads and went riding 2-3 times then they were shot had to get another set wel i put em on rode around the yard and noticed that they are partly stuck on contantly grinding the disk i got the parking brake off...so what the hell would be wrong? any help would be great

400exrider720
04-13-2007, 10:43 AM
Do you have a parking brake block-off? If so that could be pushing the pin and the brake pad against the rotor. Just an idea.

motoman006
04-13-2007, 10:45 AM
no i took the parking break off completly last night and put **** back together and it still is somewhat locking no block off or parking break its just open right now any other idea's

300exOH
04-13-2007, 11:37 AM
Try lubing the sliders that the caliper ride on.

svahle
04-13-2007, 11:55 AM
Yes, try pulling the sliders apart, clean them up sanding them a little, grease them up and try it again. If that doesn't work, you should pull the caliper piston and see if it is gummed up. Sometimes the pistons don't retract fully after being compressed when they are real dirty.

I would try the sliders first b/c you don't have to drain the brake fluid and re-bleed.

motoman006
04-13-2007, 04:25 PM
well heres the thing i got to looking and i hit the brake then it tightens and stays somwhat tight yet then i can braly spin the tire (on a jack of course) then i try spinning the tires and at the same time tap on the caliper with a hammer lightly and it comes loosens up and is not as tight thats is what happens can any one touble shoot this? i know nothing about brakes and i dont want to buy a new $120 Caliper my dad can fix it he just needs to know what to do i can fix almost all but brakes so kinda sucks here.also thanks for the help so far
More help would be great

Also you say the slider what exactly is that? only thing ive done with brakes is replace the pads

JOEX
04-13-2007, 06:49 PM
The sliders are the two pins that go through the pads also you might want to remove the lever, clean and relube the pivot shaft.

motoman006
04-14-2007, 10:01 AM
well i need the clean pivot shaft i guess how do you do this? thanks for any help

04-14-2007, 11:55 AM
pull back apart ..grab a can of brake clean or starting fluid...(clean till cows come home).use soft brush like paint brush.,sliders ,callapiar., all moving parts...clean well...should work..if not callipar has been scrached up or rock dent.................chad

JOEX
04-14-2007, 03:10 PM
Originally posted by motoman006
well i need the clean pivot shaft i guess how do you do this? thanks for any help
There's a cotter pin and washers holding the lever to the frame. Remove those as well as the linkage to the master cylinder. If you're lucky the lever will pull out with a little encouragment. If it's stuck keep moving it up and down and use plenty of penetrating oil of somesort. You may to to get a lever in there to help push it out.

Good luck:)

motoman006
04-15-2007, 09:37 AM
i got it after you take it off its pretty easy thanks for the help works great