PDA

View Full Version : Ridin ATV On Public Roadway

TXATVRIDER
04-13-2007, 07:12 AM
I got a ticket a week ago ridin my bike on a public road and got a ticket. Anybody have an idea how much this cost i'm in Texas i don't know if the prices differ from each state.

04-13-2007, 07:29 AM
my friend lost his license for 6 months because of this..the kid that was with him that was under 16 couldn't get his permit until he was 17...but that was in pa

trick450r
04-13-2007, 07:43 AM
i got a ticket for $125 about 2 years ago...permit on time, etc.

04-13-2007, 07:55 AM
Most of the places where I ride locally you have to go on the roads. The cops threaten us with tickets, taking away licenses etc. But there's a loop hole, if you have insurance and registration they cant do anything. A ticket at the most, but no getting impounded. So i'm good.

c450Razy
04-13-2007, 01:35 PM
Originally posted by speedyquad
my friend lost his license for 6 months because of this..the kid that was with him that was under 16 couldn't get his permit until he was 17...but that was in pa

Wow,
Ialso live in PA,
I was stoped for crossing the road on my quad to get to our farm and a state cop followed me into the feild i went into and tried giving me a fine, i thought it was BS so i took it to court and it got thrown out.

04-13-2007, 01:38 PM
thats insane. as long as you are going a reasonable speed (2-4th gears) then i dont think they should do anything

mr._bowtie
04-13-2007, 03:07 PM
Its 75 in So IL. My little brother got one a few years back.

DONT STOP!!!!! lol... you dont have a license plate. Just turn off into a field or woods or something and ride off. Dont look back at em either dont want your face on camera. You dont have to run wide open... no point cause thier car is faster then your 4 wheeler. Just ride about 30 till you get to a place they cant follow and make your turn.

gncc025
04-13-2007, 03:15 PM
i met a ms state trooper one day on a dirt road. me and my buddy were riding side by side in the middle of it and he didn't do anything, just kept going. thats about the only thing i like about ms lol.

TXATVRIDER
04-13-2007, 03:42 PM
Yeah i figure it's gonna cost me around 125 give or take. I had to stop i was with a friend of mine so when i drove by the cop already had him on the side of the road so i just stopped outta courtesy for him. Next time i'm RUUUUUUUUUUUNING!...LOL

ZeroLogic
04-13-2007, 11:19 PM
I got a fine for trespassing in my own community, my house was one of the first houses built here and I lived here for 17 years! $105 fine.:rolleyes:

redlineranger
04-13-2007, 11:27 PM
Originally posted by mr._bowtie
Its 75 in So IL. My little brother got one a few years back.

DONT STOP!!!!! lol... you dont have a license plate. Just turn off into a field or woods or something and ride off. Dont look back at em either dont want your face on camera. You dont have to run wide open... no point cause thier car is faster then your 4 wheeler. Just ride about 30 till you get to a place they cant follow and make your turn.

ahh yes, the whole "when you get to your trails, ditch em" method..... always worked for me:ermm:

deeroldz28
04-14-2007, 12:32 AM
YES, run run and run, lol but i live in bensalem pa and cops are gettin nutz 3 diffrent guys at 3 diffrent times got chased in my town 2 of them hit a trees and one hit a car all like a month apart...u kno there not spost to chase you if dont have a helmet on yea right thill chase the hell out of you just stay on top of your game and your good dont look back and dont stop....good luck

54warrior
04-16-2007, 06:35 AM
Originally posted by c450Razy
Wow,
Ialso live in PA,
I was stoped for crossing the road on my quad to get to our farm and a state cop followed me into the feild i went into and tried giving me a fine, i thought it was BS so i took it to court and it got thrown out.

PA laws allow you to CROSS any highway at a 90* angle, perpendicular to the roadway. You are also allowed to drive across BRIDGES.

Oh and the just putsying along until you find a trail to go onto works fine too. It's also fun to lead them down a dirt road and pepper the front of their cruiser with rocks too!!!!

When I would ride on the roads, I would ALWAYS have my escape plan running through the back of my mind.

my88r
04-16-2007, 07:12 AM
seasonale roads are okay in ny but not paved roads

1fst400
04-16-2007, 07:50 AM
around me I think you can ride up the road for 50ft or somthing.

I got caught about 2 years ago for doing some night riding up main street. I dident have my licence yet so they gave me community servace.

I was bussing by the ball field and rolled up on a cruser, so whiped it around and hauled butt in the other direction. Pulled off into a trail, throu a field and hid in some bushes to wait it out. The damn cop hoofed it out there and snuck up behind me. And boy was he pissed! Luckly my quad dident get towed, I just left it there in the woods for a cupple hours and came back later to get it with my pickup.

ZSK
04-16-2007, 08:12 AM
So this type of riding keeps approved areas open?:confused:

Your quad is not an approved highway vehicle. Stay off the roads.

54warrior
04-16-2007, 08:19 AM
Originally posted by ZSK
So this type of riding keeps approved areas open?:confused:

Your quad is not an approved highway vehicle. Stay off the roads.

I lived in a town of population 300. I don't think my riding on any of the roads had an effect on keeping areas open. There isn't even a stoplight. One gas station, one general store, one restaurant, one bank. No doctor's offices, no car dealerships. Out in the sticks. I never rode on the main streets of town, only down the alleys. I also tried to stick to the dirt roads if at all possible.

I think the majority who are contributing to this thread are in similar situations. It's not like they are riding down the parkway among thousands of cars.

Where I am located, these are a bigger issue on the roads than any motorcycle, scooter, or fourwheeler!!!! It's such fun coming around a blind turn at 40mph and finding one of these damn things poking along.

http://www.jimtardio.com/amish/amish-buggy-rider.jpg

ZSK
04-16-2007, 08:38 AM
It still doesn't make it legal to ride your quad on the road, dirt or paved. Here in Michigan there are some areas you can leagally ride on the roads and I do ride on those roads, while still respecting the regulations they require.

54warrior
04-16-2007, 08:47 AM
Originally posted by ZSK
It still doesn't make it legal to ride your quad on the road, dirt or paved.

Sorry, but I'm not going to let a couple miles of harmless road riding prevent me from getting to some riding places, regardless if it's legal or not. That one or two miles of road give me access to probably 20 miles or more of trails.

my88r
04-16-2007, 08:53 AM
Where I am located, these are a bigger issue on the roads than any motorcycle, scooter, or fourwheeler!!!! It's such fun coming around a blind turn at 40mph and finding one of these damn things poking along.

http://www.jimtardio.com/amish/amish-buggy-rider.jpg [/B][/QUOTE]

ya i know what you mean that is funny though

4punksdad
04-19-2007, 01:45 AM
here in VA it is legal to cross a public highway by the most direct route, but many cops don't know it and they almost always give chase. My mom taught me to "look both ways before you cross the road" and "don't stop & talk to strangers". I am glad I was paying attention that day. :o

TXATVRIDER
04-19-2007, 02:18 AM
Called the other day and found out how much it's gonna cost me.

173 bucks i could be spending that on something alot more important and better than a ticket...lol

4punksdad
04-19-2007, 06:43 AM
Originally posted by TXATVRIDER
Called the other day and found out how much it's gonna cost me.

173 bucks i could be spending that on something alot more important and better than a ticket...lol

you gonna play, you gotta pay. :)

Xater
04-19-2007, 07:05 AM
i live in a very small town also and the cops dont bother us for riding the roads, and on sundays is the main riding day for the people in my town so the cops never bother us on sundays. ive only got caught once and i was toped out down the road and the cop just told me to go slower and that he didnt want to make the phone call that i was wrapped up on a tree.

JOEX
04-19-2007, 05:15 PM
Originally posted by 54warrior
Sorry, but I'm not going to let a couple miles of harmless road riding prevent me from getting to some riding places, regardless if it's legal or not. That one or two miles of road give me access to probably 20 miles or more of trails.
Don't want to hear any complaining if you get ticketed;) :D

54warrior
04-19-2007, 08:03 PM
Originally posted by JOEX
Don't want to hear any complaining if you get ticketed;) :D

Seeing how my quad is back there in that one horse town, 250 miles away from where I live now, I will only get to ride a couple times this summer probably. Not too concerned about a ticket.

Like I said before, if you are smart and respectable, you shouldn't have to worry about it.

1FST/R
04-20-2007, 04:05 PM
Hmmm never got one , I guess that because I never stopped

yamaha250f
04-21-2007, 02:35 PM
In PA you could get hit with up to a $300 fine plus you can get a fine for operating a unlicensed vehicle on public roadways there's a whole bunch of things you could get hit with just depends on how big of a butt the cop wants to be

beaker1214
04-25-2007, 10:21 AM
yeah Why stop when ur on a machine that will run 60+ through stuff no cop car would dare to try!

pats2007450er
04-25-2007, 11:09 AM
the one with the horse was pretty funny.we have amish around here.wy live like that.they should have to get license,insurence.i'v got 2 tickets here and it's like $25.00 fine then $165.00 for court cost thats crazy.cops dont play around here there d.cks.the amish dont pay taxes what the hell are they doing on the roads.:D

54warrior
04-25-2007, 11:45 AM
Originally posted by pats2007450er
the amish dont pay taxes what the hell are they doing on the roads.:D

Amen to that!!! I've been saying that for years. They are far more dangerous than even a scooter driving down the road. I'd venture to guess that most of them don't even know the proper hand signals for turning.