PDA

View Full Version : Gas Tank Sheild

ryanp
04-12-2007, 11:18 PM
Hey guys just curious how many of you are still running the gas tank heat sheild? When I bought my bike I noticed it was missing...it seems to be fine without it but wanted to make sure. BTW I had posted on here earlier about a stumble problem right off idle when the engine was warm. Come to find out the previous owner had a dynojet needle with a keihin jet. It ran great otherwise but just off idle it would stumble real bad and then clear up. Installed a stock needle and she runs great now...no more hot start issues or stumbling. So in case anyone has those same symptons that would something to check. Later

gojk
04-12-2007, 11:39 PM
I run the heat shield. That head gets really hot, and I don't want to take that chance to save .25lbs.

drag93ex
04-13-2007, 11:56 AM
i would run the heat shield, get one and put on it.

drag93ex
04-13-2007, 11:57 AM
i would run the heat shield, get one and put on it.

GPracer2500
04-13-2007, 12:25 PM
One thing I used that piece for was as a place to write down valve maintanence info. I'd use a Sharpie to write down the date of each valve adjust (and hours since the last one, if I knew) and how much they were out of spec. Recording how much the valves are moving can really help you keep tabs on the condition of the valves.

For example, if the intakes don't move for 4 checks and then they start tightening by .001", then .002", then .003" you've got a strong clue that something is happeing that should be investigated. The 400EX has a pretty durable valvetrain but it's a good practice nonetheless.

On other rides I just write that stuff down on paper (or in Excel) but it's convienent to have it right there with the bike.

Honda#4
04-13-2007, 01:41 PM
Darn good idea GPracer2500.