PDA

View Full Version : CR 250 Ignition

stylenb
04-12-2007, 07:19 PM
Ok, So I just aquired all the parts to do the switch. (2001)

Is there anything special I need to know?

I would rather not mess with the timing, does the esr Plate just bolt on with no adjusting needed?

Someone maybe have an installation guide?

I know its pretty basic, but instructions always help!!!

stylenb
04-13-2007, 02:29 PM
Bump

HondaATC500X
04-13-2007, 04:17 PM
I just put one on my ATC, bolt on and ride. I had to get creative with the CDI and coil mounting though (checkout my thread a few posts down). The coils are a lot different as you've probably noticed. You can probably make some type of mount out of some metal or do like I did and just zip tie it to the frame. If you spend a few minutes doing it, it'll actually be pretty secure.

ChvyCruzen
04-13-2007, 04:27 PM
I used my stock TRX coil

mineralgrey01gt
04-13-2007, 05:38 PM
sorry to jack your thread but is this ignition worth the upgrade? Im building mine from the frame up and if it is worth it ill just do this upgrade. What are the parts you have for this swap? Like what would I all need?

HondaATC500X
04-13-2007, 05:42 PM
Depends on what your doing with it...on my ATC I can definitely feel a loss of lowend torque/grunt. Like I can't lug it in 3rd gear and then have it pull up to the power band as easily as before. But the top end is absolutely berserk and the spark it throws is awesome. My kicker doesn't even make it half way through the throw and my bike is running every time.

mineralgrey01gt
04-13-2007, 05:53 PM
ill be racing mx with it some. One day im gonna switch it to TT. A lot of trail riding and just flat out hauling a** on it :D it may be worth it for me to do that. Do i still use a stock 250r wiring harness with it?

HondaATC500X
04-13-2007, 05:57 PM
Na you use the entire CR setup, which aint much. Honestly if I were MXing, or doing anything but just wide open the entire time riding (like the flat track, that I'm doing) I'd probably keep the stock ignition. Maybe get a better coil or something.

stylenb
04-13-2007, 08:42 PM
Thanks for the info!

I just did it because I want a more reliable ignition(and its cleaner)

I needed a new stator and flywheel, etc. So I just decided to go this route, I got all the CR stuff off ebay for 200 shipped and then ordered the Adapter from ESR.

Anyone running a flywheel weight to make up for some of the loss torque/Grunt?

What other CR parts are a good upgrade?

mineralgrey01gt
04-13-2007, 09:25 PM
thanks man! Sorry again about the thread jack