PDA

View Full Version : ltr450 airbox design

honda250xrider
04-12-2007, 10:41 AM
I've been thinking rather hard latly and have decided its just not in my best interest to get rid of the airbox and go for a system like fuel atv has, my filter gets covered in just a half hour of riding, I have been coming up with a new airbox design to extend just as the heatsheild did for the exhaust. I will cut a bit from the plastic from where it dips down for the tools to be held. the way i have been planning i will be able to use quite a bit bigger airfilter and gain what looks to be little space but will gain alot of room. I was wondering if anyone has tried this and any results?

honda250xrider
04-12-2007, 12:44 PM
this is kinda what i have been coming up with, i need to trim peices and such but a quick look of what im doing, im in the process now of shaping the alu. to fit along the midpipe. for the seat latch issue im going to be putting garments so it will still be out of the way and not in a kink, the way this is looking its almost like doubling the size of the stock airbox, im working on making the mounting points and where i think it will be good. most of this will have to be tig welded inside of the wheeler im thinking unless i downsize. i will have to trim the plastic some for the airbox to fit right. im just getting a few more measurements to make sure that i dont hit the swingarm or the shock, im still going to have a drain incase some water does get inside the airbox. Hopefully in the next month or so i will have this completed as i have only been working on it a few hours every week. taking me awhile to come up with a good design but i think i have everything figured out. im guessing im the first person to begin construction of a new airbox like this? Im trying to make my bumper also im just trying to find a way not to kink the alu. when i try and bend it. thinking of putting sand inside or put water and freeze it then bend. I'm in the process now of making my rear number plate bracket, heck those things cost 30 bucks alone. money saved justto make it yourself imo.

jfarrar
04-12-2007, 08:10 PM
watch out for the chain it sneeks way up there as well.i been working on a similar set up

450#3
04-14-2007, 11:17 AM
I have good news for you guys just take a 04-06 honda 450r air box fits "LIKE A GLOVE"!
All you have to do is drill the hole for the air sensor!

P.s. if you really want to make an air box lexan works great plus it comes clear or black very durable bends easy.(i work with it every day at my job).

Have fun.:D

philys21
04-14-2007, 11:30 AM
do you have any pics of the 450r box on the ltr?

450#3
04-14-2007, 11:36 AM
sorry, I dont.

I dont have it on mine but some of the guys i ride with do.

I did some work on my stock one and it works fine other than being dirty in 20 minutes.

LTandRaptorider
04-14-2007, 04:43 PM
Originally posted by 450#3
I have good news for you guys just take a 04-06 honda 450r air box fits "LIKE A GLOVE"!
All you have to do is drill the hole for the air sensor!

P.s. if you really want to make an air box lexan works great plus it comes clear or black very durable bends easy.(i work with it every day at my job).

Have fun.:D

I saw the same idea a few months ago in either ATVSport or Dirtwheels... I'll have to see if I can find it. They talked about a race team overseas, how they used an airbox off a Honda 450R on the LT-R450. I kind of forgot about that. If anyone has more info, please chime in! :cool:

450#3
04-14-2007, 05:54 PM
I'll look thru some old mags and see if i have it.

Tyler25
04-14-2007, 10:09 PM
FuelATV setup is the only way to go! I race MX and have ran on a couple of pretty nasty tracks with this setup and my filter wasn't any more dirty w/ the Fuel setup than it was with the stock setup.

LTandRaptorider
04-15-2007, 04:33 AM
Originally posted by Tyler25
FuelATV setup is the only way to go! I race MX and have ran on a couple of pretty nasty tracks with this setup and my filter wasn't any more dirty w/ the Fuel setup than it was with the stock setup.

For racing MX, the FuelATV setup would be great. For muddy trail conditions, it would not. ;)

CGRACING72
07-03-2007, 06:13 PM
im going to try the 450r airbox in my lt-r

AL Elks
07-06-2007, 03:20 PM
Originally posted by LTandRaptorider
For racing MX, the FuelATV setup would be great. For muddy trail conditions, it would not. ;)

I wouldn't be so sure!

Check this out

http://www.********.com/invision/forums/index.php?showtopic=9753&hl=

Here we go again just replace the *** with l t r 4 5 0 h q without the spaces.

LTandRaptorider
07-07-2007, 11:52 AM
Originally posted by AL Elks
I wouldn't be so sure!

Check this out

Perfect timing on this info, thanks! :cool:

I am now looking at an aftermarket kit for my LTR. I did no research, just assumed the fuelatv kit would not be good for muddy conditions. But after looking at the thread in the link you provided, seems Fuel's kit gets a thumbs up from peops that have experience with it.

btw... How DARE you post a link from another quad site on here! :grr: :blah: :D

FUELATV
07-07-2007, 04:20 PM
My intake and filter will work great with the TRX450R box. So that may be a very good combo. The TRX450 air box is PLENTY big and will make more HP that the stock air box.

Tyler25
07-17-2007, 02:00 PM
Originally posted by AL Elks
I wouldn't be so sure!

Check this out

Thanks for posting my link Al!!... I just came across this again today and wanted to ad my .02 but you did it for me! Thanks bro ;)

culichi
07-17-2007, 04:05 PM
Originally posted by FUELATV
My intake and filter will work great with the TRX450R box. So that may be a very good combo. The TRX450 air box is PLENTY big and will make more HP that the stock air box.

how can i put a trx450 airbox on my ltr??

05Z400rdr
12-02-2007, 11:34 AM
Could somebody explain the advantage of the 450r airbox in the ltr, and give details and pics? That will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Landon

Lonestar_R
12-02-2007, 02:43 PM
Has Someone done this...if they have put a 450R airbox and filter in an LTR I would like to see it