View Full Version : quad got alittle water in the pipe

Quadrider63
04-11-2007, 08:45 PM
i was ridin alittle today and desided to cross this river the first time its all good made it across fine the way back across to get home a completely different story quad gets half was a cross the river and dies and before ya know it i am runnin round the river in my skippys lol and the friggin quad is all under water up to the seat.Then winch the quad out empty the water from every thing lol starter up and runs ride bout 6 miles home and bout one mile from home dies
What am i lookin to fix this.
o ya and if this helps the oil was whiter:eek2: than anythin i have ever seen in an engine lol:huh lol
bring on the bad news lol

j450rking
04-11-2007, 11:06 PM
well this can be vary vary bad you could have a bent rod or somthing like that (is it seezed up??) or it could be just water somwhere thats makeing it not run if you have't taken apart the engine yet take it apart and see if there is any damage thats your best bet and your going to have to chang the oil like 5 times to get all that water out

i hpe this helps

Valhalla
04-11-2007, 11:15 PM
you more than likely siezed up the motor. nothing good comes of getting water in your oil. its probably time for a complete teardown/rebuild. possibly even a whole new motor. start lookign on ebay and ge tthat motor taken apart to assess the damage. internal pics will help so we can see what youre looking at replacing if the motor is salvageable.

chris46250r
04-12-2007, 05:43 AM
Here is what I would do ( and have done before ) in this situation. First off dont run out and buy a new motor just yet. You could have ruined the motor but probally not. Alot of folks on here are quick to pronounce something dead. Drain all the oil out and change the filter. Before putting in the new filter clean all the crap out of the filter area that you can. Put two quarts of diesel or kerosene in it and with the key on and the switch off turn the motor over for minute. Drain and repeat only this time take the filter out and clean it in some clean diesel or kerosene and put it back in. Keep doing this until it comes out looking pretty clean. Clean the filter each time. When it looks clean enough, put two quarts of oil in it with a new filter and run it for a few minutes until good a hot. Drain and do a normal oil change and ride.

400exrider707
04-12-2007, 05:46 AM
I wouldn't run diesel or kerosene through the motor personally, just use cheap motor oil to flush it. If it shut off, did it lock up? Im willing to bet the rod and or crank bearings are shot. Water is not a good lubricant for bearings...:ermm:

chris46250r
04-12-2007, 05:58 AM
Originally posted by 400exrider707
I wouldn't run diesel or kerosene through the motor personally, just use cheap motor oil to flush it. If it shut off, did it lock up? Im willing to bet the rod and or crank bearings are shot. Water is not a good lubricant for bearings...:ermm:

Then dont run any through yours. I only stated what I would do in this situation. I have done this many times in the past, works for me anyway. I have a 350X that its soul purpose in life is to get baptized in the creek every Sunday. Its never had any rods, bearings, piston or rings replaced.

400exrider707
04-12-2007, 06:52 AM
Originally posted by chris46250r
Then dont run any through yours. I only stated what I would do in this situation. I have done this many times in the past, works for me anyway. I have a 350X that its soul purpose in life is to get baptized in the creek every Sunday. Its never had any rods, bearings, piston or rings replaced.

Why dont you just use kero or diesel instead of oil while your running it then? Using a 350x is a poor example... you could probably run it without anything in it and it would still keep going:blah: Also just because its never had anything replaced, does not mean it doesn't need it! I wont run any in mine, and I only stated what I would do in the situation, no need to jump on me, I simply stated my opinion like you!:)

chris46250r
04-12-2007, 11:56 AM
First off if I didnt jump anybody. I'm not running the engine with the diesel in it, I'm just turning it over. If that hurts one it was already toast to begin with. Why is a 350X a bad example? Does it not have crank and rod bearings in it? The main thing I'm trying to point out is that some people on here, and other sites also, go to extremes when some poor guy ask a question.

Barrymaxx
04-12-2007, 02:47 PM
For the people that wouldnt put keroscene (refined diesel) in their engine, why? Its still a petroleum based oil, and your not running the engine on it. I dont see what will be very harmful. I would do it.

400exrider707
04-12-2007, 03:07 PM
Originally posted by chris46250r
First off if I didnt jump anybody. I'm not running the engine with the diesel in it, I'm just turning it over. If that hurts one it was already toast to begin with. Why is a 350X a bad example? Does it not have crank and rod bearings in it? The main thing I'm trying to point out is that some people on here, and other sites also, go to extremes when some poor guy ask a question.

Notice the --:blah: -- after the 350x being a bad example? I was kidding... the 350X will run forever no matter what you do to it was my point. I dont see how I went to an extreme either? All I said was I wouldn't put kero or diesel in my motor to flush it, thats it, just MY opinion, you were the one who had to say something back about it. Whatever, we we each have our opinion, lets leave it at that.

Barrymaxx - would you flush it with regular unleaded gas?

406Z26
04-12-2007, 03:19 PM
Flushing a engine with kerosene gives very good results.

I learned of it from my grandad decades ago.

If you look at other engine flush products (like Amsoil Engine Flush) they have kerosene as the main ingredient (80-90 percent kerosene).

It will not hurt any 4 stroke engine, its a proven method.

Barrymaxx
04-12-2007, 03:43 PM
I would flush mine out with gas. Im going to do it in a couple of days because I have the motor all apart and I want to clean everything before reassembly. However, I will oil the bearings before I put it together so nothing has a dry start.

chris46250r
04-13-2007, 05:42 AM
Originally posted by 400exrider707
Notice the --:blah: -- after the 350x being a bad example? I was kidding... the 350X will run forever no matter what you do to it was my point. I dont see how I went to an extreme either? All I said was I wouldn't put kero or diesel in my motor to flush it, thats it, just MY opinion, you were the one who had to say something back about it. Whatever, we we each have our opinion, lets leave it at that.

Barrymaxx - would you flush it with regular unleaded gas?

The extreme part I was talking about is the fact that someone can get on here and have a small simple problem and some of the know it alls will tell them they have just trashed their motor, they might as well throw it in the trash and buy another one.

And whats up with the unleaded gas question? It doesnt even compare with what is being talked about. You should know this, you seem to know everything else.