PDA

View Full Version : What could cause motor oil to back up?

NeedsaYfz
04-11-2007, 06:30 PM
Took the 400 for a ride today and after a while it developed a heavy bog. I limped it back to my house and started checking the basics. When I took the dipstick out to check the oil I saw that the oil was way above the level that it had been at the day before.

I let the engine cool down for 15-20 minutes and then warmed it back up. I checked the oil again and this time the oil came rushing back out through the cockpit when I took the dipstick out.

This can't be normal, right?

What do you think could be causing this? Clogged filter/hose?

Anybody ever have something similar to this happen to them?

Rip_Tear
04-11-2007, 07:04 PM
Check the filters.. there one at the bottom of the oil rez, one in the right side (clutch side) bottom, you'll have to take the side case off, and the regular one on that same side...

NeedsaYfz
04-12-2007, 02:38 PM
Thanks for the reply. I'll check the filters this weekend when I get a chance.

Any other ideas out there on this problem?

CDCHONDAS
04-13-2007, 08:55 AM
Def oil filter, I doubt the strainer inside is plugged, you gotta have some serious crap floating around to plug it but I have seen filters plug from changing from one kinda oil to another and the little bit left in the motor reacted with the new oil and whala--snot in the filter.

NeedsaYfz
04-14-2007, 04:08 PM
Thanks guys. I was low on oil last weekend so I threw in a different brand of oil I had laying around (same weight). Took out the filter and it was pretty gummed up. Bought a new filter and enough oil to last me a year and it's back running like it should now.