PDA

View Full Version : How Much Grease To Put In A Zerk? How Do U Know When Its Full?

DarkStarRacing
10-10-2002, 02:13 PM
Hey i just bought some lithium grease to put in my trailer to grease it. It has a zerk on it. How much should i put in? How do i know when its done? Thanks

UglyMotha™
10-10-2002, 02:20 PM
when a.) you can hear it cracking and popping or b.) when you can see it squeezing out around the seals

own2424
10-10-2002, 04:35 PM
Originally posted by UglyMotha
when a.) you can hear it cracking and popping or b.) when you can see it squeezing out around the seals Yup...thats your answer right there...Good LUck!

4punksdad
10-10-2002, 04:43 PM
if you are referring to putting grease in the wheel bearings via a bearing buddy here is how you do it.

the bearing buddy is a spring loaded contraption with a grease fitting that replaces the standard grease cap on your axle. As you pump grease in, you will see the spring compress, and the end cap will move outward (toward your grease gun) as you fill the void with grease. When the spring stops compressing, it is full. Over greasing is not good, since the grease actually blows out your dust seals.

DarkStarRacing
10-10-2002, 07:21 PM
Originally posted by 4punksdad
if you are referring to putting grease in the wheel bearings via a bearing buddy here is how you do it.

the bearing buddy is a spring loaded contraption with a grease fitting that replaces the standard grease cap on your axle. As you pump grease in, you will see the spring compress, and the end cap will move outward (toward your grease gun) as you fill the void with grease. When the spring stops compressing, it is full. Over greasing is not good, since the grease actually blows out your dust seals.

i dont think the trailer wheels have a bearing buddy. It just looks like a standard zerk. Its on a load rite 4x8 flatbed trailer. ill try to get a pic of the wheel if that helps.

DarkStarRacing
10-12-2002, 09:22 AM
here u go. this is the site

http://www.reliabletool.com/products/slgrease.htm

and do u think the lithium grease i got is ok. its not white lithium its regular lithium. its like a dark grey to black color. Thanks

10-12-2002, 01:29 PM
reglar lithium should be fine :D

10-12-2002, 01:33 PM
Ya, keep pumping it in the zerk until it starts oozing out of the seals....

Pappy
07-05-2006, 09:56 PM
Sorry, this just happened to be the oldest thread in the open section:p

WhiteYFZ
07-05-2006, 10:27 PM
Originally posted by UglyMotha™
when a.) you can hear it cracking and popping or b.) when you can see it squeezing out around the seals

Aceman
07-05-2006, 10:36 PM
Originally posted by Pappy
Sorry, this just happened to be the oldest thread in the open section:p

Typical NEWBIE!!!:blah:

nosliw
07-05-2006, 10:39 PM
waiting till it oozes out is a good way to pop a seal. i've done it to a few old crappy cars i've had, so maybe if stuff is new then it's okay.

i just give 'em 3 or 4 squeezes or until i see it move.